diy solar

diy solar

Daly smart BMS

Glad I could help. Honest made my day when I first read this.

Ive wired my cells in series and connected via bluetooth. What does the greyed out “balance” icon indicate in this photo? I want to make sure my settings are correct before I apply a load via the inverter

Attachments

• F6E7868F-A29C-4904-BA68-09EB54F8B19B.png
    F6E7868F-A29C-4904-BA68-09EB54F8B19B.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 24
Glad I could help. Honest made my day when I first read this.

Ive wired my cells in series and connected via bluetooth. What does the greyed out “balance” icon indicate in this photo? I want to make sure my settings are correct before I apply a load via the inverter
It means that the BMS is currently not running the "balance" on cells. Most people set it to start at 3.4v, since below that your cells should not have a large difference.

In the bluetooth app, parameter settings, cell characteristics, and the last two settings control this.

It means that the BMS is currently not running the "balance" on cells. Most people set it to start at 3.4v, since below that your cells should not have a large difference.

In the bluetooth app, parameter settings, cell characteristics, and the last two settings control this.
I cant find the setting you are reffering to.

is it “Balanced open start volt” reading 3.2V?

Attachments

• D56D39EA-461E-4628-994A-58A3E7E0E19C.png
    D56D39EA-461E-4628-994A-58A3E7E0E19C.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 32
Still doesnt show balance green light on. The cells are below 3.4V right now though.

Attachments

• 574DF678-4F8F-443B-B6EB-F83C6CF24E54.png
    574DF678-4F8F-443B-B6EB-F83C6CF24E54.png
    265.8 KB · Views: 21
  • F2ABD499-580E-46A1-9A6A-4ACD82B542FF.png
    F2ABD499-580E-46A1-9A6A-4ACD82B542FF.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 22
Still doesnt show balance green light on. The cells are below 3.4V right now though.
You have it set to start balance at 3.4v, when the cells are .05 difference, they show .009 difference and below 3.4. If you have top balanced the cells, you will almost never see it active, or need it. It will only activate when charging and the cells are above 3.4v (i.e. more than 95% full).

For anybody with this BMS that also uses mqtt, I'm not the creator, but I've found this project on github. It connects to the BMS via rs485 or uart.

It runs on arm hardware like the Raspberry Pi.

It display's all the relevant stats
1617156922822.png

And transmits them via mqtt.
1617156697107.png

I think that Daly sent me life-po BMS instead of Li-Ion because I finally got it to connect through Bluetooth but everything’s on 0 the voltage doesn’t show. It’s connected 100% correctly. If anyone can help me out maybe it’s just not properly communicating over Bluetooth?

Attachments

• 2E015153-1D42-402A-BF31-F693F312EF22.png
    2E015153-1D42-402A-BF31-F693F312EF22.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 891140E3-3B64-4034-82E1-04EDB1D344A4.png
    891140E3-3B64-4034-82E1-04EDB1D344A4.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 25
I think that Daly sent me life-po BMS instead of Li-Ion because I finally got it to connect through Bluetooth but everything’s on 0 the voltage doesn’t show. It’s connected 100% correctly. If anyone can help me out maybe it’s just not properly communicating over Bluetooth?
I’ve seen that on one of my Daly BMS’s. Double check the wiring of your battery cable. If it is wired correctly you most likely have a faulty unit. I had to return the one I had that did that.

I ordered a daily 250 amp 12 V be a mess but they sent me a 24 V BMS is it possible to wire it to 12 V and will it work or does it have to be just 24 V only

I ordered a daily 250 amp 12 V be a mess but they sent me a 24 V BMS is it possible to wire it to 12 V and will it work or does it have to be just 24 V only
Almost certainly not. Unless it specifically says 4S-8S, it will only work for the voltage stated.

You should put an ad in the classifieds here, there are quite a few folks who have or are looking to upgrade from 4S to 8S. I'd bet you'd have success and FAR quicker than waiting for shipment via slow boat.

Almost certainly not. Unless it specifically says 4S-8S, it will only work for the voltage stated.

You should put an ad in the classifieds here, there are quite a few folks who have or are looking to upgrade from 4S to 8S. I'd bet you'd have success and FAR quicker than waiting for shipment via slow boat.
thx i may just do that

I have both the 12 volt and 24 volt versions. No. They are hardwired for ONLY one voltage.

The inverter for me seems to have a strange design issue;
When used as a charger it has constantly the -loud- fan on; but then the invertor only delivers 250W (+ losses). Constant as the fan start after 5-10mimutes of charging and never stops.
When in use as inverter, the inverter can produce 600W without the fan running.
And actually when going from 2kW to zero, the inverter immediately stops the fan. Although it clearly is still warm (about 40°C). Actually the case seems to heat up due to the remaining heat inside.
It is so strange the invertor needs the fan when charging and producing really no heat whereas when in use he even stops the fan when clearly still being warm...
The fan on I guess will be annoying in the RV because i think I would typically charge at night. And then I don't want the sound...
Maybe it is because the charger is so inefficient it very quickly need the fan.
You might want to make a post about your inverter, since it doesn't sound like a Daly BMS issue. Daly has plenty of problems, but a poor inverter design doesn't seem to be one of them.

Daly smart BMS 250A;
I was playing with the app; I tried to set the SOC; didn't work.
And then I saw the option to change the battery type; I selected LFP/LiFePo4 (what it was) and set it - so didn't change the value.
Then I went back to the status display and it was a mess; it showed liked 20cells, nonsensical voltages but the BMS was still functioning.
I feared I ruined it; I disconnected the sensing cable, reconnected and started the BMS again; all was back ok.
I don't want to try and reproduce....

Daly smart BMS 250A;
I was playing with the app; I tried to set the SOC; didn't work.
And then I saw the option to change the battery type; I selected LFP/LiFePo4 (what it was) and set it - so didn't change the value.
Then I went back to the status display and it was a mess; it showed liked 20cells, nonsensical voltages but the BMS was still functioning.
I feared I ruined it; I disconnected the sensing cable, reconnected and started the BMS again; all was back ok.
I don't want to try and reproduce....
Yes, I haven't tried the PC interface, but you can't set the SOC from the Android app.
I use a separate shunt and meter for capacity anyway, so it hasn't bothered me enough to try setting it.

If you do manage to set it correctly, please share.

I know others have shared how to make the current measurements by the BMS more accurate.

Back