diy solar

diy solar

Daly smart BMS

Hi Alan, I'm curious how you manage to make it working. I'm also on IOS with latest update of Smart BMS app (v 1.0.6).
I can see the voltage, temperatures, Soc, ... on the main page, but all the setting pages are filled with 0.
I can put a value and hit the update button, but it is not uploaded to the BMS. This is confirmed by checking the BMS settings with PC app.
Can you confirm the settings you update are affectively updated in the BMS?
Also the app doesn't ask for a code, while it seems that the Android version is asking for it before any update. does it ask the code on your side?
I have also tried to customise the code, but it fails.
Thx in advance for your update.

Hi, I had no trouble and it just worked right from the start, in that I can see all the parameters/ voltages and temps but the problems start when I try to enter the battery chemistry and size and the SOC. I seem to be able to change other parameters and they are the same when I return to the app later. So my changes seem to stick.

I just wish I could change the battery type and capacity so my SOC and number of cycles will be accurate.

This is the password box that pops up when I want to change something.

1606098539927.png

Hope this helps you or someone..

Thanks.

This is strange because in my case there is no ask for inputing the passcode.
Have you double check with PC app that the settings are correct?
Regarding the chemistry, in the PC app it seems to be a test information. I don't think it changes the way the MBS behave.

I only have the iPhone app, not PC.
The main problem I have tho is I can't change the Capacity and therefor the SOC which will then give me my cycle numbers.
It is strange tho, because I have seen some screenshots showing the chemistry field filled in.
But I mainly want to change the Capacity and the SOC.

I only have the iPhone app, not PC.
The main problem I have tho is I can't change the Capacity and therefor the SOC which will then give me my cycle numbers.
It is strange tho, because I have seen some screenshots showing the chemistry field filled in.
But I mainly want to change the Capacity and the SOC.
I tested the Android APP and can confirm i can change Capacity with a 4S Daly SmartBMS. I cant seem to change the SOC value however.

Well that just takes the cake. lol

I only have an iPhone so yesterday I had a friend over with a new Samsung Galaxy and I borrowed it, downloaded the Smart BMS app and it wouldn't even find my BMS. I unplugged the Bluetooth module and reconnected it several times and it made no difference. While my iPhone could connect to the BMS the Android refused to even see it.
I'm buggered if I understand what is going on.
I have ordered a USB Uart cable from eBay so I will try that on the laptop when it arrives and see if that works.
It's really weird as I can change other settings with the iPhone but not the battery capacity or battery type. I really want to get the SOC working so I can see what is happening and have the cycle count accurate.
Cheers

I noticed your mobile carrier - if you are close to Melbourne i could help out with my UART cable.

I only have an iPhone so yesterday I had a friend over with a new Samsung Galaxy and I borrowed it, downloaded the Smart BMS app and it wouldn't even find my BMS. I unplugged the Bluetooth module and reconnected it several times and it made no difference. While my iPhone could connect to the BMS the Android refused to even see it.
I have ordered a USB Uart cable from eBay so I will try that on the laptop when it arrives and see if that works.
It's really weird as I can change other settings with the iPhone but not the battery capacity or battery type. I really want to get the SOC working so I can see what is happening and have the cycle count accurate.
Cheers
Did you disable the Bluetooth on the Iphone when trying to connect the android? Maybe it can only connect to one at a time?

I also have the Daly 4S 12V 250A BMS and I was able to connect via BT (ios) and change only some of the settings, using password 123456 I was able to change Capacity, SOC, Chg overcurrent protect, dischg overcurrent prot... I also found the BT connectivity goes into sleep mode, I've only just purchased this BMS to go with 500a Sinopoly cells that I'm installing in my boat. I also had to use a multimeter to turn on the BMS

Cheers
The Daly BMS bluetooth only works with very new devices in my experience.
The newer higher amperage BMS they sell seem to be VERY erratic and unpredictable.
I bought a 250a 16s it worked for a few days then just turned off never to be restarted again after trying all the suggestions on here. It was only having to handle 40a so really really using it under rated (charging and discharging).
Just died. So I bought another one since too slow to send back the original and get it replaced (still will do that) and the new one worked for 2 days no problem and then "broke". This one is still responsive but it shows 5.4v on the P- line while the battery is actually 53v (as correctly shown in the Daly app)!
I can reset it and it's fine until I try to charge it (at low 20amps again this is a rated 250a BMS). The support guy at the factory is totally useless. After explaining everything multiple times he explained to me how to turn it on using the light board, duh.
Keep in mind, the knew I was buying ANOTHER BMS to replace the one they have to replace because it broke immediately.
Now the owe me 2 BMS shall I continue buying and reporting broken for how long?
It really seems Daly has taken a nosedive on quality. I do NOT trust them at all any more.

I also have the Daly 4S 12V 250A BMS and I was able to connect via BT (ios) and change only some of the settings, using password 123456 I was able to change Capacity, SOC, Chg overcurrent protect, dischg overcurrent prot... I also found the BT connectivity goes into sleep mode, I've only just purchased this BMS to go with 500a Sinopoly cells that I'm installing in my boat. I also had to use a multimeter to turn on the BMS
Mine is the 100a but otherwise the same. It's got me buggered then.
I definitely can't change Capacity with any reliability.

Apparently, if you set the sleep waiting time to 15300s it won't go to sleep.

If I try to set my Capacity to 200a (my battery) it shows up as 3.3ah
1606614120647.png
And the SOC shows as,
1606614176489.png
However if i change the SOC in small increments i can get it up to 56ah but then if I go to 57ah it jumps to 2.3ah or something silly.
1606614325754.png

1606614371755.png

I noticed your mobile carrier - if you are close to Melbourne i could help out with my UART cable.
Sorry mate, i'm in Qld, but thanks for the offer.
BTW, where did you get your Uart cable from?
That is my last hope that I can change things via the Uart and a PC.

I got mine from Daly on aliexpress when i ordered the BMS. Solar4rvs in Melbourne do sell them with a BMS, they might sell them separately.

I am looking at a 3 parallel Strings of 8 x 3.2V 280AH battery, I want redundancy so if one string fails I can still work. So I need 50A charging each string (100A total) and 110A discharg each string. Seems Daly Smart options jump from a 120A which supports 60A charging to a 300 Amp supporting 150A charging but at double the price.
What issues are there running 3 strings in parallel ? I've read some BMS's supposedly dont support that ?

Are these the best options where i want monitoring and control of specific paramaters ?

I think the PC option will work. In my case, I connect via PC to the 485 port. The Uart to USB did not work for me.
I've had no problem setting all the values on both defective Daly 250a smart BMS I bought using the 485 to USB cable.
I wasn't able to set values in the bluetooth app either so ... I think your last hope is a pretty good one but if you end up paying to ship a cable, buy both.

Hmm, you say the Uart to USB didn't work for you either???
I'm not sure mine has the 485 port you refer to.
I can only see the Uart port.
I wonder where this leaves me? I can't afford another one. :(

1606770685024.png

Reactions: B58
Back