diy solar

diy solar

Daly smart BMS

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the BT, it has happened 4 times to me. The only way I know how to reset is to disconnect the B- from the battery and touch it to the P-. This is very difficult now that I"ve installed the batteries in a box. Completely kills the convenience of bluetooth. Glad to hear that PC UART still works, means the BMS is probably still protecting the battery even if the BT has crashed. are there firmware updates for these BMS?

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the BT, it has happened 4 times to me. The only way I know how to reset is to disconnect the B- from the battery and touch it to the P-. This is very difficult now that I"ve installed the batteries in a box. Completely kills the convenience of bluetooth. Glad to hear that PC UART still works, means the BMS is probably still protecting the battery even if the BT has crashed. are there firmware updates for these BMS?
Can't help you with the BT side but to negate the requirement to always disconnect and reconnect.....

What I do when my BMS trips is to take my multimeter and put it on "buzzer" mode then, touch the positive lead to the B- and the negative lead to the P-. Hold it there for a few seconds and you should see the display pop up numbers start to decrease. Hold the leads on until you see this.

I only have to hold my leads on the B and P- for a few seconds and it reactivates the BMS.

Are you sure the BMS hasn't tripped for some reason and, it is being kept in "tripped state"?

Can't help you with the BT side but to negate the requirement to always disconnect and reconnect.....

What I do when my BMS trips is to take my multimeter and put it on "buzzer" mode then, touch the positive lead to the B- and the negative lead to the P-. Hold it there for a few seconds and you should see the display pop up numbers start to decrease. Hold the leads on until you see this.

I only have to hold my leads on the B and P- for a few seconds and it reactivates the BMS.

Are you sure the BMS hasn't tripped for some reason and, it is being kept in "tripped state"?
yea I can short the B- and P- with a lead to get the BMS to turn on (for example when I have to disconnect the B- to reset the BT and then need to turn the BMS back on). When the BT is showing incorrect information, its still outputting the battery voltage so I dont think its tripped a protection feature.

I've reset the BMS and the BT is working for now. Ive finished modifying my battery box setup for now so hopefully the BT just works if I'm not screwing with it.

yea I can short the B- and P- with a lead to get the BMS to turn on (for example when I have to disconnect the B- to reset the BT and then need to turn the BMS back on). When the BT is showing incorrect information, its still outputting the battery voltage so I dont think its tripped a protection feature.

I've reset the BMS and the BT is working for now. Ive finished modifying my battery box setup for now so hopefully the BT just works if I'm not screwing with it.
You might try ordering just the Bluetooth dongle, they are cheap.

What surprised me was i CAN set parameters via Bluetooth (despite what Daly aliexpress person told me). I tested setting the low temperature charge protection to 20 deg C, and cooled it / warmed it and it worked. ....

The low temperature: is- that the temperature of the BMS itself of does it have a sensor for the temperature that you put near/in between the battery cells?

The low temperature: is- that the temperature of the BMS itself of does it have a sensor for the temperature that you put near/in between the battery cells?
My Daly has a sensor, rather short wire with room (but no instructions) to add a second.

Hi John,
thanks for the info.
In http://dalyelec.cn/daly/Manual.pptx
=> it shows a connecting location for an NTC probe. Not clear if this NTS probe is delivered with the package.
The sensor you refer to is soldered or fixed to the BMS?
I ordered it with the sensor, so it was included. There is an empty spot next to it where it plugs in that looks like you can add a second. The default will have to be changed, I set it to 5 degrees Celsius. Most of the default settings need to be changed.

Now I confused ;-). Never saw the option to add a temperature probe.
Which supplier does that?

I bought a SmartDaly 60/30 A BMS and could not get it to work. On output, I measured 3,06 V, not 13,67 V which was correct.
The Manual is very confusing. It says: Make battery board is activated by clicking an activation button on the BMS.
I don't have an activation button on my BMS.

I knew my wiring was correct because I have been using a normal DALY BMS before and just switched everything to Smart DALY.

I tried shorting B- and P- multiple times to get it to work and nothing.
I then decided to use my multimeter on the buzzer setting multiple times and suddenly after several minutes of trying I finally measured 13,67 V on output!

Android app worked without a problem and I can change settings. The PIN is 123456.

Just a small tip: Don't give up with activation! Be patient!

And yes - my BMS also has a temp probe integrated. I bought it on AliExpress - DALY Official Store.

Attachments

• 20210201_211305 (Large).jpg
    20210201_211305 (Large).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 14
Now I confused ;-). Never saw the option to add a temperature probe.
Which supplier does that?

For my 24 volt BMS (now it says you must order 5, it didn't when I bought it):
IMG_20210123_171040575_HDR.jpg
Note, you must contact them via messenger and ask for "250 amp continuous output at 24 volts (8 cell LiFePO4) with Bluetooth and low temperature disconnect, USB interface, able to set my own voltage profiles for cell voltage"

They (Kevin Zhang) quoted me:
"The price is 140usd/pcs for 2pcs Smart BMS LifePo4 8S 24V 250A with Bluetooth and low temperature disconnect,the price includes the lightboard and bluetooth module, no need to order temperature sensor separately, The temperature sensor will be together with the BMS"

FYI, they actually manufacture them to your specification, as in they told me "5 days to manufacture, then ship via DHL"

For 12 volt BMS:
IMG_20210123_171019077_HDR.jpg
I chose the "250A com UART BT"
Add the USB to UART cable (for connecting to PC) and the Bluetooth module.

Mine came with the temperature sensor already attached, and indeed it seems accurate (if a short cable).

Last edited:
Wait a moment: how is the low charging working? It turns of the battery when there is a low temperature? Or it turns of the battery when there is low temperature and one tries to charge the battery?
And how do you come back after a protection against low temp charging? By stopping to charge? After temp is again > low protection temp? And why don't I read this clearly in the manual? Or did I miss this?

Wait a moment: how is the low charging working? It turns of the battery when there is a low temperature? Or it turns of the battery when there is low temperature and one tries to charge the battery?
And how do you come back after a protection against low temp charging? By stopping to charge? After temp is again > low protection temp? And why don't I read this clearly in the manual? Or did I miss this?
Apparently it is a "new" feature in the past year, so I never saw it in any manual either.
There are lots of temperature settings, high discharge temp, low discharge temp, low charge temp, high charge temp, and mosfet temp.
There is even a temperature difference setting, it defaults to 255 degrees celsius, I have no idea what it is for.
As far as I know, the temperature has to be in range for it to allow charging again, unless you bypass the BMS. There are also charge and discharge switches in the app where you can turn on and off charge and discharge.

Screenshot_20210202-150447_SMART BMS.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-232225_SMART BMS.jpg

Last edited:
I think I already asked the question in another thread: Low temperature protect: is that only a protection against charging or does it shut down the battery completely? And does it shutdown the battery once the low temperature is reached only, or on the low temperature and charging is detected. The question as they don't seem to have a manual on how the product works.
Can somebody confirm how it works? The question also because I understand they call their BMS a common port one, which normally can only shut down the whole battery (versus having different control over charging and load).

I think I already asked the question in another thread: Low temperature protect: is that only a protection against charging or does it shut down the battery completely? And does it shutdown the battery once the low temperature is reached only, or on the low temperature and charging is detected. The question as they don't seem to have a manual on how the product works.
Can somebody confirm how it works? The question also because I understand they call their BMS a common port one, which normally can only shut down the whole battery (versus having different control over charging and load).
Since mine is a common port model, the fact it has a low temperature charge protection setting and a low temperature discharge protection setting might infer something.

Since mine is a common port model, the fact it has a low temperature charge protection setting and a low temperature discharge protection setting might infer something.
Hi John,

I could imagine the device is 'smart' enough to allow discharge and block charging. But I don't see it anywhere in a 'Manual'. When I discuss it with the people from Daly in chat, they 'seem' to say it does. But if you ask for a manual that explains this, they say they don't have it. So I doubt this is really the case.

So if somebody could once to the test....

Walter

Hi John,

I could imagine the device is 'smart' enough to allow discharge and block charging. But I don't see it anywhere in a 'Manual'. When I discuss it with the people from Daly in chat, they 'seem' to say it does. But if you ask for a manual that explains this, they say they don't have it. So I doubt this is really the case.

So if somebody could once to the test....

Walter
I'm confused, since on high voltage cell disconnect mine allows discharge, why would you think that it doesn't have this feature? Certainly the low temperature charge protection works on mine. I did not test the block discharge below -20 Celsius (it defaults to -50) but I am pretty confident it works. Daly has many different models, and the people in the chat aren't exactly design engineers. I could set it above freezing and get some more ice water, but -20 is a realistic value that I will never experience in the desert. The 50 degree block charging setting is far more likely on a regular basis for me.

...why would you think that it doesn't have this feature? ...
For the simple reason, it is not described on their website. And we don't have a manual to check. So I have to guess how the product works (to me it sounds trivial for a 'smart' BMS to allow discharge on low temps, but to me it is also trivial there is a manual that describes the functionality).

@John: Thanks for the feedback about the high voltage behaviour. So there it blocks for sure charging while allowing discharge.

Just to be clear on your feedback: at low temperature, you tested it blocks charging. But you didn't test it allowed discharge? That is how I should understand you feedback?

Back