diy solar

diy solar

Daly smart BMS

That's unfortunate, I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. Perhaps there is a way to cancel the order without too much fuss?!?
That eBay seller doesn't seem to have a model like mine now so maybe it wouldn't be quicker with them than waiting for mine to arrive on the Concorde.

It works with mine just plugged into usb and nothing else connected to it.

Model of mine are R16J-GA15
Did you need to download a driver or setup anything in advance? OR did you just plug it into your PC?

Wait a second - the USB cable I was provided has a white strip of tape at the end which reads "Monitor" and it only has 3 pin inserts, whereas everyone else's is UART with 6 pins. What is the 3 pin USB Monitor cable for??

Did you need to download a driver or setup anything in advance? OR did you just plug it into your PC?
I didn't have to do anything. And to add, my computer and the software even figured out the port for me. Mine are very new too, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

You should have a port called Monitor 3pin..

The usb cable for computer is usb 2.0 to a 3pin JST this goes to your monitor port
The BT is USB micro to 6 pin JST this goes to your uart port

Last edited:
I didn't have to do anything. And to add, my computer and the software even figured out the port for me. Mine are very new too, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

You should have a port called Monitor 3pin..

The usb cable for computer is usb 2.0 to a 3pin JST this goes to your monitor port
The BT is USB micro to 6 pin JST this goes to your uart port
Ok, I am plugging this cable into the monitor port of the BMS so it seems I am doing everything correct.

I launch 'BMS Tool' and receive this popup, which has been translated by the Alibaba Supplier.
1614914794236.png

"It says, sorry, no available port is detected in the current computer, please insert the relevant device or check whether the driver is installed?
Note: You can cancel it and click Find port to find it again."

Hitting cancel (which seems to also be indicated in a document the supplier provided called Sinowealth-How to operate Upper Computer which was created by Nami from Daly) brings the next screen. There are 0 Comm PortNo. for me to select, but I can change the other settings in cluding Baud Rate, Data Bit, Parity and Stop Bit. Nami's instructions say Comm 1 must be selected, so I guess this is the first sign that something is not correct.

1614915447089.png
1614915783499.png

In my device manager, the below device is the one that appears once plugged into the computer. I'm not sure if I can adjust anything for this.
1614914887593.png
What else can I do? I've asked the supplier if there is a driver, but I am doubtful given you say that yours works out of the box.

EDIT: There is a driver at the top of Nami's instruction manual that goes to a dead link: https://dalyelec.cn/daly/zytool.zip
the one below it goes to a google drive with the installation for the software.

1614915843434.png

Last edited:
Ok, I am plugging this cable into the monitor port of the BMS so it seems I am doing everything correct.

I launch 'BMS Tool' and receive this popup, which has been translated by the Alibaba Supplier.
View attachment 39610

"It says, sorry, no available port is detected in the current computer, please insert the relevant device or check whether the driver is installed?
Note: You can cancel it and click Find port to find it again."

In my device manager, the below device is the one that appears once plugged into the computer. I'm not sure if I can adjust anything for this.
View attachment 39611
What else can I do? I've asked the supplier if there is a driver, but I am doubtful given you say that yours works out of the box.
It does look to me like another driver is needed. You did download from here?... " https://www.dalyelec.cn/newsshow.php?cid=25&id=77&lang=1 "

I was just given a driver from the supplier and to great success. Sorry for the pictures, I love documenting in case some people need help down the track.
1614916275581.png
1614916324398.png
1614916349227.png
1614916373396.png
Now on COM4
1614916405295.png
1614916449470.png
1614916506046.png

What settings am I to be adjusting? Selecting the MCU window, and reading the instructions, it says the 'Design Capacity' and 'Full Charge Capacity' should be adjusted. In my case, I have 4x272aH batteries connected in series, so I would set both values to 272?

Instructions from Nami @ Daly:

1614916635204.png

Attachments

• CH34Drive_2.zip
    179.6 KB · Views: 30
I asked Daly about a "low battery disconnect" and got this response:

our BMS don't have "low battery disconnect".
below is our BMS all functions:
1)over charge or discharge protection
2)over current protection
3)Drop Protection
4)low temp protection
5)communication via PC pr mobile phone

Meaning there aren't any missing features or add-ons for my order so no need to cancel or change my order.

She said discharge protection is essentially the same, but to me it sounds one is based on voltage, the other is based on draw.

Im trying to find out what the wire gauge size is for the connectors that go to each cell from the BMS. Does anyone know? I need it to buy the appropriate size crimps.

Mine simply cuts the discharge when the voltage of any one cells goes down to 2.5v
When I first fired up the BMS the cut-off threshold was less than 2.5v, but that seemed crazy low to me so I changed it to 2.5v
The name of the setting is "cell volt low protect"
IMG_919AF59148DE-1.jpeg

our BMS don't have "low battery disconnect".
below is our BMS all functions:
1)over charge or discharge protection
2)over current protection
3)Drop Protection
4)low temp protection
5)communication via PC pr mobile phone

Meaning there aren't any missing features or add-ons for my order so no need to cancel or change my order.

She said discharge protection is essentially the same, but to me it sounds one is based on voltage, the other is based on draw.
It doesn't disconnect, it just doesn't let it discharge. As for over current, you should have that covered with fuses or circuit breakers in a properly set up system anyway. Only if a catastrophic failure of some type would occur should the BMS engage over current protection.

Im trying to find out what the wire gauge size is for the connectors that go to each cell from the BMS. Does anyone know? I need it to buy the appropriate size crimps.
I don't know which amperage model you have ordered, but when I asked my Daly rep about the BMS cell wires, she said:

"The balance cables' length is 450mm, 24AWG. Power cable is 2AWG"

I know someone else responded and said 22AWG. I got the answer above on 2/19 so it is current (pardon the pun) information for the 24V8s250A model.

I said the 2AWG was under spec for 250A to which she said they were "tested" for 250A continuous.

I don't know which amperage model you have ordered, but when I asked my Daly rep about the BMS cell wires, she said:

"The balance cables' length is 450mm, 24AWG. Power cable is 2AWG"

I know someone else responded and said 22AWG. I got the answer above on 2/19 so it is current (pardon the pun) information for the 24V8s250A model.

I said the 2AWG was under spec for 250A to which she said they were "tested" for 250A continuous.
You certainly could be correct, I just went by my Klein wire stripper and used the 18-20-22 awg slot to strip it, and a 1/4 inch ring terminal marked 22-16 awg crimp connector.
Worked great, I did fold the stripped wire back so it was double in the crimp. Nice solid connection and doesn't pull free and of course ohm'd it out. I also added labels, helps keep from having to trace wires.

People were complaining about having problems crimping the heatshrink connectors with a crimp tool that had the wrong die, or I would have just linked the Amazon ones I bought. Mine are the 250 amp common port "smart" model without the fan.

Note that 24 awg connectors are harder to find and apparently more expensive, not many choices on Amazon.

Last edited:
24 ga I believe. I have to extend mine but I
It doesn't disconnect, it just doesn't let it discharge. As for over current, you should have that covered with fuses or circuit breakers in a properly set up system anyway. Only if a catastrophic failure of some type would occur should the BMS engage over current protection.

will be using 22 ga to extend the balance leads. Keep all wire lengths the same as length will affect resistance and thus voltage readings.

Wow, that sucks I already ordered 22AWG based on that. However, I heard a trick is to fold the exposed wire over itself and crimp.

I purchased a wire gauge measuring tool so will confirm for you all the exact size once it arrives.

My Daly BMS showed up today. Despite being told it would come with a manual, it only came with a one page (plus back side) wiring diagram, but the wiring diagram is for a bank of 16550 cells which means it is wired differently than 8 cells. I have a customer coming over, so I won't go through my issues with it, including it being sent to the wrong house number.

Wow, that sucks I already ordered 22AWG based on that. However, I heard a trick is to fold the exposed wire over itself and crimp.

I purchased a wire gauge measuring tool so will confirm for you all the exact size once it arrives.
Strip twice as much wire, fold back, and crimp. Works well with the 22awg heatshrink crimp connectors that I used. No problems at all, and mine have been taken apart at least a dozen times.

I was just given a driver from the supplier and to great success. Sorry for the pictures, I love documenting in case some people need help down the road.
This, THIS is what I've literally been trying to figure out for the last 4 hours!!!!! THANK YOU for documenting this. I'm very sad that this was on page 8, because it sure would have been nice to find it on page 1!!!!!

Again, thank you so much! I plan to make a video to help people that struggled like I did, so I'll give you a shout out in there. THANKYOU!!!!

Back