diy solar

diy solar

Daly vs JBD

tonyg

Hello,

Planning on building a 16s 48v LifePo4 battery system with the Eve 280ah cells.

I'm thinking of using a Daly 16s BMS 250A, but recently came across a 300A JBD BMS, but this is contactor based.

I'm confident setting up the Daly BMS, there is nothing hard about it. However, I don't know about the JBD, looks like it has a strange way to wire it up to the battery.

That shouldn't be an impediment, but I'm wondering, what are the pros and cons of using one instead of the other? They're different technologies altogether but meant to do the same thing.

Thank you!

@tonyg
I am also thinking about JBD BMS, but you say it is contactor based. I am a newbie, can you please explain what disadvantage of contactor based BMS?

I am also thinking about JBD BMS, but you say it is contactor based. I am a newbie, can you please explain what disadvantage of contactor based BMS?
some JBD BMS are contactor based, some JBD BMS are MOSFET based

contactor works for higher amp use case, mosfet usually for lower amp use case.

contactors often come in "NO" type for Normally Open which means without power the two sides are disconnected
to keep it closed/connected, usually 1-10 watts are used continuously depending on what kind of contactor. this can add up if it's connected 24/7

mosfet have much lower idle power draw, but are also less able to handle huge amps like a good contactor might.

however, mosfet almost always use much less than 1 watt continuously to stay connected/closed. so they are very efficient in that way.

Back