diy solar

diy solar

Data extraction from inverters

shavermcspud

Solar Enthusiast
Thought id give something back to the community.

Not sure if its been done before, I didn't see it here, but I have managed to decode the data from a wide variety of PV inverters, Grid tie, storage etc, written a python script that outputs to influxdb then you can read off in to grafana or similar.

Any that use the huge hex data values basically

i.e Canadian solar, Solis, Sofar, Ginlong (any type) if it uses the wifi stick or lan adapter you can pull the values, from my brief research there are around 90 odd inverters that use these same hex values. This doesn't work for the MPP USB/RS232 or all in one units but I think that's already covered in ICC solar plus many other bits of software.

I have made a pre configured Raspberry Pi image if anyone wants to dive straight in, or I can provide the python script. the hex values

graf.png

how to extract data , for eg. battery status, from a Sofar inverter 3000SP storage system, with php or python via Wifi?

Not sure if its been done before, I didn't see it here, but I have managed to decode the data from a wide variety of PV inverters, Grid tie, storage etc, written a python script that outputs to influxdb then you can read off in to grafana or similar.

i.e Canadian solar, Solis, Sofar, Ginlong (any type) if it uses the wifi stick or lan adapter you can pull the values, from my brief research there are around 90 odd inverters that use these same hex values. This doesn't work for the MPP USB/RS232 or all in one units but I think that's already covered in ICC solar plus many other bits of software.

I have made a pre configured Raspberry Pi image if anyone wants to dive straight in, or I can provide the python script. the hex values

View attachment 23103
Hi, this looks great, I have only just started playing with this and nodred.
Any chance of the python script or event better the full pi image
All the very best for 2022
Regards
Dave

Last edited:
Hi, this looks great, I have only just started playing with this and nodred.
Any chance of the python script or event better the full pi image
All the very best for 2022
Regards
Dave
Hi all, yes happily upload the pi images for you, I use a cheap RS485 to USB adapter $3 from amazon. I have now have written node red flows for Sofar, Ginlong/solis both 4th gen and the new 5th gen units, growatt and solax inverters, more flexbile than the early python scripts. I believe many more inverters use the same serial read values as the growatt units. I'm currently working on pulling data from the Seplos BMS also via the same method to keep an eye on battery temps and delta in the sane dashboard. ill gdrive the PI images / python for all flows. I use node red, with modbus & canbus pallets, feeding in to influxDB and represented in Grafana, now have it working in near real-time 1 second updates on a raspberry pi 3 with no slowdown.

I have also integrated MQTT for output to various platforms and for those who might have a PV ready EV charger like mine that reads MQTT excess PV generation for charge current control.
nodered.png

solar1.png

Hi, that dashboard looks very nice indeed (y)

Makes my noddy effort over the last 2 or 3 days look a bit inadequate!
Mind you it was from a standing start, had to install the pi, pip and a load of other stuff.
Got Nodred installed and configured to the ME3000
I have just installed influx and grafana and was about to have a fight with them, slow going.
Looking forward to seeing how it should be done when you get that pi image uploaded.

Thanks

1641330303878.png

Hi, that dashboard looks very nice indeed (y)

Makes my noddy effort over the last 2 or 3 days look a bit inadequate!
Mind you it was from a standing start, had to install the pi, pip and a load of other stuff.
Got Nodred installed and configured to the ME3000
I have just installed influx and grafana and was about to have a fight with them, slow going.
Looking forward to seeing how it should be done when you get that pi image uploaded.

Thanks

View attachment 78338
They are uploading as I type this. Ill drop you a DM once done :)

I am really looking forward to this as well. Walking to the garage/shed to look at meters or get within BlueTooth range is getting old.
It would also be great to be able to see everything on one (big) screen...

I've only just started down the path of trying to figure out what I need. So many terms come up: MQTT, JSON, Mosquitto, influxdb, grafana, etc.
So much to learn. It's nice to have relevant material assimilated and put together. Anything to short-circuit the learning curve is very much appreciated.

They are uploading as I type this. Ill drop you a DM once done :)
Hi Shavermcspud.
Very interesting tread! I have a Sofar HYD6000EP and 4 pylontech battery and I-m not able to connect to it.
Can I use the raspberry image you create?
I must use and adaptor or can I use the wifi dongle?
Thanks!

Hi Shavermcspud.
Very interesting tread! I have a Sofar HYD6000EP and 4 pylontech battery and I-m not able to connect to it.
Can I use the raspberry image you create?
I must use and adaptor or can I use the wifi dongle?
Thanks!
Hi
Yes you will need an RS485 adapter, around $2 from amazon and you can use my image, you will need a 64GB SD card to fit the image on to.

Does anyone have the protocols for Jakiper first gen Rs232 or EG4s lifepower RS485? I use J Blance’s MPP-solar right now but need to add coverage for those two batteries

View attachment 23103
Hi Shavermcspud , please can you post a link to the raspberry image?

I'm about to start again on making a Wiki/Document with all these protocols and communications between inverters, charge controllers, inverters, etc. to integrate with Grafana or whatever. Yes please, upload your Python script somewhere!
I am very interested in this topic even though i never worked on Raspberry. But if there any document where it teaches you how to doe these stuff for a newbie it would be awesome to have all these data available.

Back