diy solar

diy solar

Data extraction from inverters

Hi, you can.
Just Google "enable SSH on a raspberry pi".
You just need to add a file to the SD card.
I am a little busy at mo but if you get stuck let me know.
PS everyone makes this mistake when first playing with a pi ?

No the image is for a Sofar ME3000SP & it is working. But I need the credentials for the Pi & Grafana logins.
I can see the Wiki for the forum is being updated as I type, but the credential are incorrect.
Dave
G0emf, I've just noticed that you had the same problems logging into the Pi. I can access Node Red and Grafana and I can now get a login prompt if I SSH onto it. I just dont know what the correct username and password is, it doesn't appear to be pi & raspberry

SSH is enabled by default on all my images, the username is pi and the password is raspberry. I have just double checked this and it works.

I've used a different program to burn the image to the sd card and this worked perfectly. thanks for the help

Hello @shavermcspud

Hoping you can shed some light on my challenges getting this running on my side.
I flashed the image file, but on boot Grafana, InfluxDB and MQTT does not startup. There's likely more not working that I've yet to discover.
I purged Grafana, InfluxDB and MQTT and reinstalled. All running now. I get to the dashboard now but there isn't any data loading.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /dev/*USB*
/dev/ttyUSB0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

My RS485 to USB adapter shows as /dev/ttyUSB0. Change the serial-port in Global config on NodeRed to reflect this. I'm certain I'm cabled up properly - A to A and B to B.

I'm likely missing something obvious and was hoping you can point me in the right direction.

Hello @shavermcspud

Hoping you can shed some light on my challenges getting this running on my side.
I flashed the image file, but on boot Grafana, InfluxDB and MQTT does not startup. There's likely more not working that I've yet to discover.
I purged Grafana, InfluxDB and MQTT and reinstalled. All running now. I get to the dashboard now but there isn't any data loading.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /dev/*USB*
/dev/ttyUSB0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

My RS485 to USB adapter shows as /dev/ttyUSB0. Change the serial-port in Global config on NodeRed to reflect this. I'm certain I'm cabled up properly - A to A and B to B.

I'm likely missing something obvious and was hoping you can point me in the right direction.

What inverter do you have?

For reference, I've written a set-up guide for Grafana (both on Pi and vanilla Debian) on the wiki here:

In addition to the scripts for MUST inverter/charge controller and JK BMS, I also just published a script to read data from a Victron Multiplus-II using the MK3 USB interface:

Has anybody using Influxdb run into the compaction issue yet with a large db?

My db is >2gb now and on Raspbian32bit & Influx 1.8 I'm looping on compaction that fails with memory issues. Seems to be due to Influx trying to map the db into memory and it exceeds addressable space.

I have no CQ or RP setup (other than infinite)

Are you 100% sure you have the connections right from the USB to RS485 connector?
Yes. Absolutely positive the connections are right.

I suspect grafana, influx and mosquitto were all broken after flashing because your image is likely meant for something that's not a Pi Zero perhaps?
I've got grafana, influx and mosquitto all running just fine now though. Double, triple checked that the connection from RS485 to inverter is right. Swapped them about as well. Still shows "no Data"

Yes. Absolutely positive the connections are right.

I suspect grafana, influx and mosquitto were all broken after flashing because your image is likely meant for something that's not a Pi Zero perhaps?
I've got grafana, influx and mosquitto all running just fine now though. Double, triple checked that the connection from RS485 to inverter is right. Swapped them about as well. Still shows "no Data"
Ah yes, its not for the Pi zero, the Pi zero doesn't support the versions of OS or grafana/nodered.

I downloaded the Solis version. Nodered does indeed show data and actually all appears to look just fine in that space. By getting Grafana,Influx,MQTT up I just thought it would magically work despite having a sense it wouldn't because of the Pi zero and hiw different it is to the other Pi's

I downloaded the Solis version. Nodered does indeed show data and actually all appears to look just fine in that space. By getting Grafana,Influx,MQTT up I just thought it would magically work despite having a sense it wouldn't because of the Pi zero and hiw different it is to the other Pi's
From my prior research there is no official suported version of Grafana that functions on the Zero due to being an older Arm architecture, i gave up in the end even compiling from source i couldn't get it to work.

From my prior research there is no official suported version of Grafana that functions on the Zero due to being an older Arm architecture, i gave up in the end even compiling from source i couldn't get it to work.
Happened upon this,

apt-get install grafana-rpi

Don't recall the list or source, ran a wget for it from somewhere. Like you said though, likely not a supported version

After purging the version on the image and running the above, that got Grafana up and running just fine on the Pi Zero.

Following this thread with interest, but I'm having trouble grasping how the full application flow works here. My understanding is that Grafana is a dashboard framework, and it's picking the data up from a RAM disk.

But what is putting the data there? I'm guessing there is some daemon that is using the various serial protocols to poll the inverters, get the data and then save it to the RAM disk. Does Grafana orchestrate that? Or is it something else?

I guess another question I have is where are the serial protocol definitions (or implementation code) to enable whatever is orchestrating the polling and data writing?

Apologies if I have missed something obvious in the various documentation, links would be great.

Thx,
James

But what is putting the data there? I'm guessing there is some daemon that is using the various serial protocols to poll the inverters, get the data and then save it to the RAM disk. Does Grafana orchestrate that? Or is it something else?

In short, you have something like Prometheus or other (time series) database that Grafana reads from. Then, something like Node Exporter (with Prometheus) that reads the data from a Ramdisk and puts it in the Prometheus database. The data in the Ramdisk is put there by individual scripts that know how to talk to the hardware.

There is a set-up guide for this in the wiki of this site: https://diysolarforum.com/ewr-carta/data_communication/

Back