diy solar

diy solar

DC Circuit Breaker Fires!!

GLC....This fellow says NEVER use that type of disconnect. He is quite adamant about it......I was using those CHINA breakers in a few other projects and I found about 70% either did not trip or tripped all the time......I stopped using them and only use ANL fuses now for protection in single wire architecture. But my understanding is that solar panels need both + and - protected per NEC Code....

Go to 5:16 minutes on the video for his reasons
Thanks for the video link, i was asking myself if this
H8e5ab1048d7b4541a389e906fa260f84t.jpg

Breaker was usable on the battery side, and found this thread while searching for the info. And while my question was not about PV breakers... your video answered my question... Those breakers seems to be rated for 24V max => No go.

Edit : Mmmm i can see they are 48V too...

Last edited:
From the link
DC solar circuit breaker Tunnel terminal
DC solar circuit breaker Silver Alloy Contacts

Polarity Marked​

This DC MCB has no polarity requirement in use, and the positive and negative poles can be inverted. However, the installation, use, and maintenance of DC circuits are based on polarity requirements. So, in order to provide reliable indication and reference for the distribution, we highly recommend that you connect the wires according to the marked polarity.

Eaton / Bussmann is the only company that I trust to make fuses. I'm sure there are other good companies (Blue Sea, Midnite) but if there's ONE thing to not cheap out on, it's the fuses and breakers. I can personally attest to the fact that cheap ones don't generally break when they are supposed to.

BTW, this is the youtube video that got me concerned....

1639056569672.png

I looked up those DC breakers,

My guess is that there is some sort of "Diode" mechanism inside, which doesn't like being run the other way around.

Don't know how they work mechanical but the symbols are different from AC:

1639056685352.png

Most Blue Seas breakers are manufactured by Carlingswitch
MidNite MNDC breakers are manufactured by Carlingswitch
MidNite MNPV breakers are manufactured by Circuit Breaker International and restesed, listed to a higher voltage by U.L.

Boeing Aircraft uses Carlingswitch.....

View attachment 75101

I looked up those DC breakers,

My guess is that there is some sort of "Diode" mechanism inside, which doesn't like being run the other way around.

Don't know how they work mechanical but the symbols are different from AC:

View attachment 75102
Circuit breaker arc flash fires are caused by poor arc chute design or incorrect current flow in the breaker
Also by using an AC rated breaker on a DC circuit
Some (old standard) DC breakers are polarity sensitive, there is only one acceptable current flow direction
Current certification is non-polarity sensitive.

There is no diode in a circuit breaker, current flow direction has to do with the arc chute (arc extinguishing mechanism)

Old stock CBI (Circuit Breaker International) breakers are polarity sensitive

codes have changed

Current stock CBI breakers are not polarity sensitive

Carlingswitch breakers are not polarity sensetive......MidNite MNDC breakers are manufactured and labeled by Carlingswitch

Beware, many imported circuit breakers are polarity sensitive

AC breakers do not have an “arc chute” and have no way to extinguish an DC arc.

Very few breakers are rated for AC or DC

Carlingswitch “C” “D” and “E” series breakers are rated for both AC and DC

Schneider Electric Square D QO line breakers are rated 150 VAC and 48 VDC

Last edited:
I highly recommend you read “Flying Blind”

Boeing of the 80s and 90s is hardly the same company of today. Let me guess you’re a huge GM fan too?

Each manufacturer makes a product for a spec of the contract they signed. If the OEM request is to make a product cheaper the manufacturer will gladly oblige as they don’t want to lose the contract.

You mention this as a positive thing? Recent track record of Boeing isn’t helping your argument.
Please specify any Boeing aircraft that has had any circuit breaker failure causing a failure off that flight. Carrier, route, flight number, date......

I can absolutely guarantee you that has not happened

I am quoting an area where chinese circuit breakers are never used. As I have never been in an Airbus cockpit, but i would place a small bet that they are Schneider (German....not USA Schneider Square D)

I write from expereince, by the time of the Alaska Earthquake I had my FCC ticket as well as a FAA special electrics and avionics as well as PIC of the J2, J3, PA18 Cessna 180, what is your experience there. I retired from one of the worlds largest electrical companies both in communications and power but Im here to share knowledge not get into a pissing match. Aircraft companies buy the best that is available, they do not specify a cheaper design.....which then needs certification by many agencies worldwide.......time is money.

Boeings downfall started with the McDonald Douglas company buying Boeing with Boeing’s money, They went from technical excellence to stock market baby.....

Many Douglas DC-3 aircraft are still flying, How many Boeing B787 and Airbus A350 plastic airplanes are grounded due to delaminating of the plastics and carbon fibrer

One of Boeing’s biggest mistakes was reengineering the B737 for engines that are not compatable with that airframe and scrapping the NMA design that was to replace it to compete with the Airbus A320 series

You can track Boeings downfall to moving to Chicago (moneygrubbers) andSouth Carolina (cheap labor)

Last edited:
Thanks for the video link, i was asking myself if this
H8e5ab1048d7b4541a389e906fa260f84t.jpg

Breaker was usable on the battery side, and found this thread while searching for the info. And while my question was not about PV breakers... your video answered my question... Those breakers seems to be rated for 24V max => No go.

Edit : Mmmm i can see they are 48V too...
Stay away from these. They Trip at the right Amperage maybe two or three times and then the internal mechanism starts to go bad. Also someone did a Flir image sensing on them and found one of the contacts gets very hot even during normal operation. He disassembled it and it was really poorly made.

I have seen many of those, they light up my Fluke FLIR....I only use Buss brand in that style of breaker, Blue Seas are standard off the shelf Buss/Littlefuse. They just work.

Please specify any Boeing aircraft that has had any circuit breaker failure causing a failure off that flight. Carrier, route, flight number, date......

I can absolutely guarantee you that has not happened

I am quoting an area where chinese circuit breakers are never used. As I have never been in an Airbus cockpit, but i would place a small bet that they are Schneider (German....not USA Schneider Square D)

You made a generic statement that because a manufacture is used by Boeing, it must be good. Boeing has been far from the pinnacle of excellence for quite some time so your analogy doesn’t quite stand up. Follow the money. To me you pretty much said Yugo uses XXX band. . ..

I have no problem evaluating a company and the products they offer, but I won’t blindly give up my money because XXX OEM uses said products, be it Boeing, GE, GM, Samsung, Hitachi, Tesla or Apple.

Last edited:
You made a generic statement that because a manufacture is used by Boeing, it must be good. Boeing has been far from the pinnacle of excellence for quite some time so your analogy doesn’t quite stand up. Follow the money. To me you pretty much said Yugo uses XXX band. . ..

I have no problem evaluating a company and the products they offer, but I won’t blindly give up my money because XXX OEM uses said products, be it Boeing, GE, GM, Samsung, Hitachi, Tesla or Apple.
Personally I would much rather trust an well established American company verses any chinese manufacturing shop. But then I did a whole career doing high end electrics but.......I retired from GE....not really proud of their “dirty steam nuclear reactors” BWR’s if you know what I am speaking of.....

I think my point is any aircraft company will use Carlingswitch but not even consider a cheaply manufactured chinese breaker....lives are on the line

Lives are on the line, so are dividends and quarterly earnings ? If things can be made cheaper and meet spec, it’ll be done and someone will get an attaboy.

I’ve never dabbled in the nuke world but did a stint of time for working for DoD on 688 fast attack fire control support (forward end). Everything was Hughes Enterprise, Signer, MacDonell Douglas, GE, Westinghouse designs of the late 60s, you could tell the companies cared about the +180 lives on the line. I saw the new stuff going in as “upgrades”selected by Raytheon, BAE and the like, it was a joke, yet met spec and was the lowest bidders.

There’s a reason deployment time has dramatically gone down on newly design boats.

Did someone tried those

Fast fuse RGS7 700V/690V 30A 40A 60A 63A 70A 80A100A 125A 250A 260A 280A 300A 310A 350A 400A

Wait....

10 watt power loss..! Is it at max amperage or all the time...!!

Attachments

• 6775237622116346260.jpg
    6775237622116346260.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Did someone tried those

Fast fuse RGS7 700V/690V 30A 40A 60A 63A 70A 80A100A 125A 250A 260A 280A 300A 310A 350A 400A

Wait....

10 watt power loss..! Is it at max amperage or all the time...!!
Skip the AliX fuses.

I'm always hesitant to say this because there's actually a finite quantity, but I don't need fuses right now; Check eBay for used fuses, I don't think there's a single new fuse on my system, most of mine came out of forklifts. The last batch I got, IIRC, was three 75a units for like $4 each (they are around $30-50 each, new), and a 300a unit for $10 ($75-100, new).

Fuses, in particular, either work or they don't. It's not like they have any mechanical parts to wear out. Go with Bussmann, Fuseman, Ferraz-Shawmut, Blue Sea, Carlington, or Midnite. (Please don't jump on me, I'm sure I forgot a few good brands or two)

Last edited:
I am revising my van setup. Without restarting the pizzing contest above, I could sure use some advice regarding a breaker / disconnect switch between the solar panel and the controller (“input” to the controller) BECAUSE I will be frequently switching the “output” from the controller between 2 different battery banks. I will soon have a higher voltage panel (250w, 51Voc, ~6a) and leaning toward a Victron Smart 100/20 solar charge Controller. I am not an EE (obviously), but am trying to use some common sense. I understand one part of the pizzing contest, and I side with higher-voltage-capable breaker. I want the convenience of a “switch” or breaker. ***My real question whether I need BOTH + & - wires interrupted by the breaker?*** Explorist Nate says yes (for code reasons???), whereas Will P seems OK with positive lead only…from what I have seen.

For convenience sake, I’ve toyed with using a 3PDT switch (or maybe it would need to be a 4PDT) so that it’s impossible to switch battery banks without interrupting the solar at the same time. In other words, 1 toggle would control both the “input” side as well as the “output” side of the controller. Such a “high” capacity switch is hard to come by in the 3P or 4P versions (26 week lead time). Today I have separate switches (1 for “in”, 1 for “out”), and often enough flip only the “output” switch, without worrying about the “input.” Morningstar support (for my current PWM controller) doesn’t condone this behavior, but nothing has smoked yet. They actually said the danger is to the downstream (“out”) loads getting fried, not the controller itself. I started worrying because the new panel is over twice (more like 2.5x) the voltage of the panel I spoke to Morningstar about, and there will be more amperage downstream of the controller than I have now, and I know nothing about the robustness of the proposed Victron.

Last edited:
I have a few of those same Amazon circuit breakers. A 100A overheats and trips at 85A. It went in the trash. A second one is cool at 85A.

Back