diy solar

diy solar

DC Circuit Breaker Fires

Would I see anything like this on a 47 volt PV system ?
You might! It depends on the circuit's inductance and the flowing current. When a dc circuit is interrupted it can generate a very large voltage that can result in a continuous arc. The basic equation for the voltage is V = L* di/dt where di is the instantaneous current flowing and T is the interrupting time. And in a switching mode, T= 0 or at least approaches 0.

AC does not have that problem because a sinewave has 0 current twice each cycle.

Looks like a cheap polarized breaker that a lot of people use which uses a magnet to help extinguish the arc. If they flow current in the wrong direction, the magnet cannot do its job and you get a toasted marshmallow. That's why I want a classT fuse between the battery bank and SCC/AIO, and dislike using this type of breaker anywhere current can flow in both directions.

1673566752415.png

Looks like a cheap polarized breaker that a lot of people use which uses a magnet to help extinguish the arc. If they flow current in the wrong direction, the magnet cannot do its job and you get a toasted marshmallow. That's why I want a classT fuse between the battery bank and SCC/AIO, and dislike using this type of breaker anywhere current can flow in both directions.

View attachment 129318

Pretty sure current can flow both ways about anywhere in a circuit, PV panel could even short out mid-panel to ground, so flowing backwards on the negative leg right ? Wonder if the magnet works if breaker is sideways or mounted upside down etc??

How else are you supposed to,disconnect an array?
Are you being serious? :oops:

With a PV disconnect, here, let me Google that for you:

Below text is from the resources section (link below), suggest you take some time and read it, it may save your house one day.

Overcurrent Protection on Solar Charge Controllers and solar arrays

Disconnects Vs OCP on the Output circuit.

All solar installations should have a disconnect on the output circuit, between the solar array and the solar charge controller. This disconnect should disconnect both the positive and the negative line from the array. (This is one of many disconnect requirements that the NEC places on solar installations).

Quite often, the disconnect is implemented using a dual circuit breaker because using a breaker can be a cost-effective way to implement a disconnect. Even some controller manufacturers say to use a breaker. This has created confusion that leads some people to believe breakers are required. However, if the system is installed with proper string OCP (if needed) and properly sized wires, there is not a need for the disconnect on the PV Output circuit to be a breaker. A properly rated dual pole switch is adequate.

If a breaker is used as the disconnect, there are a few things to keep in mind.
  • Breakers are not typically designed for frequent use as a switch. Using a breaker as a switch can weaken them over time, and this could result in nuisance trips.
  • When used in place of a switch, a breaker’s trip rating should be higher than the calculated PV output circuit current
    (PV output current = Isc x number of parallel stings x 1.56 =)

Last edited:
Absolutely serious. I asked because combiner boxes have breakers, presumably used to shut off power (in addition to being a breaker)

no need to be a cunt about it. Fucking cunt
Toughen up buttercup, don't ask questions if you don't want answers, don't read my post, see if I care if you burn your house to the ground. PS, with a name like Nan_wpg I'd be a bit more careful about gender or nationality slurs, it's not welcome here, especially when people are answering YOUR question, dispite that handle virtually begging for it and your comment deserving of it.

What the hell,are you even talking about? What does my handle have to do with anything? I want answers. Answers without your shit attitude. Take it elsewhere and think before you post. Lesson learned
I've had several people contact me about your inappropriate comments, calling people c*nt (like you did me) when they tried to help you by giving you info you could have easily found in Google is not appropriate and is against @Will Prowse 's code of ethics, not to mention in very poor taste.

Please read!

Absolutely serious. I asked because combiner boxes have breakers, presumably used to shut off power (in addition to being a breaker)

no need to be a cunt about it. Fucking cunt
Breakers are for over current protection, mag starters/contactors/switches are for turning power sources off
or on
she most likely assumed with over 200 posts that you must have learned something and maybe you were kidding her
she obviously didn’t know that you are a different kind of special with a very foul mouth and I’m sure she is sorry she had no intention to pick on a special needs person

Last edited:
What the hell,are you even talking about? What does my handle have to do with anything? I want answers. Answers without your shit attitude. Take it elsewhere and think before you post. Lesson learned

Nan_wpg asked a legitimate question, Most products out there use the same shitty polarised breakers and cant be trusted.​

Nan_wpg asked a legitimate question, Most products out there use the same shitty polarised breakers and cant be trusted.​

U are correct there are a lot of crappie breakers out there but breakers are for over current protection not switching or disconnect uses
she gave him many good options and the correct reply should of been thank for the information

I really don't want to burn my house down but surely if you a proper rated 2 pol DC breaker then you should also be able to use that to isolate PV for the odd occasion that you might need to do that, I'm not talking of using this like every day as I don't need to do that so just say once or twice a year or in an emergency which is surely what breaker switches are for.

Are you saying that all DC breakers have this issue or just some of the cheaper ones etc?

I really don't want to burn my house down but surely if you a proper rated 2 pol DC breaker then you should also be able to use that to isolate PV for the odd occasion that you might need to do that, I'm not talking of using this like every day as I don't need to do that so just say once or twice a year or in an emergency which is surely what breaker switches are for.

Are you saying that all DC breakers have this issue or just some of the cheaper ones etc?
Breakers are appropriate for isolation use. If they were not you would see switches on every distribution panel. In my opinion switches are needed for things that have a repeated need to be switched on or off.

Not sure why people get so passionate about simple things.

BTW, The breakers being destroyed from improper connection wiring and high DC voltage is not an indication that they can not do the job when wired correctly. In fact the video shows them doing so. Never take the wrong lesson from something you encounter.

ETA: Always try to remove loads before operating a breaker.

Last edited:
Me thinks you have the wrong person. Check again. This is the first time you’ve replied inappropriately to me and received the deserved response.

other than this time I e had ZERO contact with you.

for the record you are the only person o. This forum I’ve called a cunt. Get your facts straight before you spread false information
I was referring to this exchange, no other, you’re disgusting, learn some class.

Breakers are appropriate for isolation use. If they were not you would see switches on every distribution panel. In my opinion switches are needed for things that have a repeated need to be switched on or off.

Not sure why people get so passionate about simple things.

BTW, The breakers being destroyed from improper connection wiring and high DC voltage is not an indication that they can not do the job when wired correctly. In fact the video shows them doing so. Never take the wrong lesson from something you encounter.

ETA: Always try to remove loads before operating a breaker.
I agree they beat pulling fuses I’ve got old panels with fusestat/fusetron and other types and it’s nice to just flip the breaker
the key is as you said “always try to remove loads before operating a breaker”
I look at a breaker more like a emergency kill switch and not for repeated usage as a switch
that’s the point I was trying to make
also Bud has a good point of cycling them on occasion is a good idea

Are you being serious? :oops:

With a PV disconnect, here, let me Google that for you:

Below text is from the resources section (link below), suggest you take some time and read it, it may save your house one day.

Overcurrent Protection on Solar Charge Controllers and solar arrays

Disconnects Vs OCP on the Output circuit.

All solar installations should have a disconnect on the output circuit, between the solar array and the solar charge controller. This disconnect should disconnect both the positive and the negative line from the array. (This is one of many disconnect requirements that the NEC places on solar installations).

Quite often, the disconnect is implemented using a dual circuit breaker because using a breaker can be a cost-effective way to implement a disconnect. Even some controller manufacturers say to use a breaker. This has created confusion that leads some people to believe breakers are required. However, if the system is installed with proper string OCP (if needed) and properly sized wires, there is not a need for the disconnect on the PV Output circuit to be a breaker. A properly rated dual pole switch is adequate.

If a breaker is used as the disconnect, there are a few things to keep in mind.
  • Breakers are not typically designed for frequent use as a switch. Using a breaker as a switch can weaken them over time, and this could result in nuisance trips.
  • When used in place of a switch, a breaker’s trip rating should be higher than the calculated PV output circuit current
    (PV output current = Isc x number of parallel stings x 1.56 =)
you googled it for them..! ?

Back