diy solar

diy solar

DC/DC 12V to 24V Boost Converter 20 amp

FoxenTEC

Hello,

I searched and did not see this answered. I have heard of using an inexpensive DC/DC 12V to 24V boost converter to take 12V directly from my vans starter battery and provide approx. 8 amps of 24V DC into my portable power station. (Bluetti) It accepts this voltage and charges at approx. 195 watts versus just 95 watts from a 12v DC cigarette lighter port.

The unit I purchased is the Cllena DC/DC 12v to 24v Boost Converter 480w unit on Amazon. When I received it, I found that the manufacturer says it can be used to boost voltage but is not to be used to charge batteries and that its incapable of charging. It is rated for 20 amps and output current is 480 watts. I will be drawing just the 195 watts. I do know it would be on for 3 hours or so when driving to charge up the portable power station. (It will be fused and wired directly to battery with appropriate gauge wire)

The manufacturer also said do not extend from the input or the output of the unit beyond 3 meters. I assume that is because of the gauge wire they used on the input and output and does not apply if I use a appropriate gauge wire.

Thank you!
Jon

cllena.jpg

The question being? Why is it "not to be used to charge batteries" and is "incapable of charging"?
Maybe because to charge a "24V" battery you should use 30 or more V?

About wire gauges, I assume you assumed ;·) correctly.
-

Hello,

I searched and did not see this answered. I have heard of using an inexpensive DC/DC 12V to 24V boost converter to take 12V directly from my vans starter battery and provide approx. 8 amps of 24V DC into my portable power station. (Bluetti) It accepts this voltage and charges at approx. 195 watts versus just 95 watts from a 12v DC cigarette lighter port.

The unit I purchased is the Cllena DC/DC 12v to 24v Boost Converter 480w unit on Amazon. When I received it, I found that the manufacturer says it can be used to boost voltage but is not to be used to charge batteries and that its incapable of charging. It is rated for 20 amps and output current is 480 watts. I will be drawing just the 195 watts. I do know it would be on for 3 hours or so when driving to charge up the portable power station. (It will be fused and wired directly to battery with appropriate gauge wire)

The manufacturer also said do not extend from the input or the output of the unit beyond 3 meters. I assume that is because of the gauge wire they used on the input and output and does not apply if I use a appropriate gauge wire.

Thank you!
Jon

View attachment 87494
What they mean is don't hook the buck booster (the 12-24v converter) directly to batteries. It will overcharge and boil them over.

Your Bluetti maybe has a built-in CC?If it does, then your setup is fine, otherwise you need to manually monitor the charging process.

Back