diy solar

diy solar

DC-DC Charger and an Isolator

Blagger

Hi all,

I have a catamaran with 3 battery banks, one starter battery for each engine and one house bank of FLA batteries. Currently each alternator is wired to a large isolator with 2 input channels and three output channels. the three output channels go to each of the battery banks.

I am upgrading the house bank to Lithium Is it possible to avoid a lot of re-wiring to just disconnect the house bank from the isolator and add a DC-DC charger from the isolator to the house bank. This does mean i will only have one dc-dc charger and not two but it means it will receive power when either or both engines are running and also keeps the Alternators protected from the Lithium doing a dump when full as the alternators run to the isolator.

I know there is a Marine Channel and i added there as well, just this seems more active and the principle is the same for both Marine and wheeled vehicle

Thanks in advance
Joe

Hi all,

I have a catamaran with 3 battery banks, one starter battery for each engine and one house bank of FLA batteries. Currently each alternator is wired to a large isolator with 2 input channels and three output channels. the three output channels go to each of the battery banks.

I am upgrading the house bank to Lithium Is it possible to avoid a lot of re-wiring to just disconnect the house bank from the isolator and add a DC-DC charger from the isolator to the house bank. This does mean i will only have one dc-dc charger and not two but it means it will receive power when either or both engines are running and also keeps the Alternators protected from the Lithium doing a dump when full as the alternators run to the isolator.

I know there is a Marine Channel and i added there as well, just this seems more active and the principle is the same for both Marine and wheeled vehicle

Thanks in advance
Joe
That sounds like a good plan to me.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Joe
Joe, did you implement this setup as you describe? I'm adding lithium house bank and would make life much simpler if I just add a dc-dc charger off one of the outputs on my isolator, to get the benefit of alternator charging to my lithium bank.

Back