diy solar

diy solar

DC fuses on the positive or negative side?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1888

I have 2 victron 1000a bus bars and the way I had to set them up(due to space constraints) was to flip one so the negative is on the top. I did not want to positive an negative to cross and I did not have the space to put them side by side. I only had to swap the red and black rubber peace's to do this. My battery bank is on the bottom busbar that has negative on top so I have to put fuses on the negative wire of the batteries. Will having fuses on the negative side be a problem?

This is the what top busbar looks like this the bottom bar just swap the colors. Also my Busbar is missing the PCB so the LEDs will not work on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the common saw is the fuse protects the wire.

That’s not actually true. I’d does protect the wire; but it primarily cuts off power in a sudden or continual load i.e. short circuit situation.
One could make a reasonable argument that the service loads applied to a circuit will basically never (or should never) exceed the fuse in a properly designed system.

In reality, the fuse blows:
  1. When a short circuit occurs
  2. When the circuit overloads above design values
  3. When equipment or something fails and presents a longer-term max or over-max load where heat builds in the circuit but before it combusts
All those things “protect the wire.”
Fusing the negative(-) conductor, however, only prevents circuit-failure heating and the unlikely overload of devices. It will not provide ANY of the primary safety goals of fusing a circuit to prevent a fire from whatever failure or corruption of the positive(+) cable/wire in the circuit.

So, no, it ain’t ok. Plus all those wee circuits: are they polarity insensitive?

Some circumstances require fusing of the negative but that’s in addition to the pos(+) not in place of it.

That’s not a good plan

why do you have four fuses on the battery bank? could you clarify the schematic for the battery? But fuses need be on the positive as close to the battery as possible.

Back