diy solar

diy solar

DC solar directly to EV (no AC!)

I presume anyone embarking on this kind of project would know that means you have to go down the route of physically modding the car if it is CCS.
I am not sure it is so much as modding the car as it is interfacing the CCS communication to the BMS. In my EV conversion, I never even included a J1772 port because I never had a need to charge at any place other than my home. I just plugged into a 240 volt receptacle and turned on the onboard charger.
I think that was the point of my earlier post. One would not have to use the CCS protocol. One could just use an Anderson connector and a switch to turn on the DC to DC converter or a contactor connecting the charge controller.

I also think it is important to distinguish between a custom EV like the one from yabert where the battery cables are accessible and OEM EVs
Simply need to explain that my Vanabolt is an EV conversion (Chevy Bolt powetrain inside a Vanagon), but it retain 100% of the Chevy Bolt system.
So, I can access some HV connector connectors without causing important problem to the Chevy Bolt system and that meaning every other Bolt can access those HV connector without causing important problem to their Bolt

that meaning every other Bolt can access those HV connector without causing important problem to their Bolt
Yes, but in your case it was not in the Bolt with all the body parts of the Bolt surrounding it. However it is good to know that the HV parts are accessible.

Yes, but in your case it was not in the Bolt with all the body parts of the Bolt surrounding it.
Well, in the case a the Bolt, HV connector from cabin heater or AC compressor are easily accessible under the hood. Even the Fast charge connector is fully accessible, but it have an HVIL. See picture.
In the case of a Tesla model 3 everything HV related is relatively accessible (and dangerous) in the penthouse of the battery under the rear seats. Need a special socket, but not an impossible challenge.
I'm sure it the same for many EV's. If you are looking to use HV from a complete EV, it will be relatively easy to use it.

Ok, realistically we are all waiting for the DIY CCS controller ;)
Bolt junction box-2.JPG

I was wondering yesterday actually what would block those 1-2 Chinese companies selling not too expensive CCS chargers in the 10-100kw range from just modularizing their platform more or accepting custom order for something that talks CCS and allows you to hook into the DC side.

So that we can get a cheap dev modulesz

Or do those “expensive” CCS dev modules provide a lot more nice things and safety than back ass converting a more fixed function implementation into a dev module?

I don’t think they’re expensive from the POV of a company making a product and needing one for their engineers, but it’s more than I’m willing to spend for DIY on my weekend time

Back