diy solar

diy solar

DC to DC charger or generator to top off lithium batteries?

jpmtz

I plan on having a lithium battery bank sufficient for a few days of boondocking. In the event that the Sun stays hidden for several days and I need to top off my batteries, which is more advisable for the job? A DC to DC charger ($200-ish) where I just turn on my truck and I'm charging or a small inverter generator ($600-ish) that I'd need to unload, hook up, and get started (to say nothing of having to carry additional fuel and starting it every once and a while, and other routine maintenance.) OPINIONS ON ONE OVER THE OTHER.

A budget of only $200 for a DC-DC charger won't buy you much. Don't forget that you need fat wiring from the engine bay to an Andersen connector, with fusing...and the trailer side wiring. I think when you add it all up, you might find that the DC-DC charger is $600 too when all is said and done, and it will be a fraction of the wattage of a generator. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of DC-DC chargers, but I view them as one more way to charge. I'd still have a generator. How powerful is your planned shore power charger? If you have a powerful charger, like in a Victron Multiplus, a generator will charge your lithium bank really fast. Much faster than a DC-DC charger.

I currently carry a very small 700w propane generator and a small charger to give some charge during a time of need. So far with 600 watts solar that has never happened. No needed maintenance starts or storage procedures with propane. I already carry propane so no extra fuel.

The next step would be to connect jump cables direct from the truck to the battery. Last resort would be to just roll out.

I used to have a larger gasoline generator to run what I like. Mostly hated it so I went solar and just stopped using it.

I have both options. I can throw 100A of charging in 5 hours towing the trailer with the 20A DC-DC charger, or do it in 2 hours with my 50A AIMS and 2000W little generator.

Back