diy solar

diy solar

DC to DC charger size questions

You don't get it yet, but I will explain this more clearly so maybe you will catch on. On the AC power supply side of this vehicle, there is 2000 watts of power available. This was designed to provide the 2000 watts continuously from all the information I have found including an interview with the Ford On Board Power engineer. This information is out there, you just have to dig for it. As for surge rating, it's probably in your owner's manual.

If you have the optional 7.4kw version like the 2021 model has, then it was designed to provide 7400 watts continuously.

In other words, as long as you use the AC side of the system, you can draw the full amount of watts continuously at 100% duty cycle if you desire. I've tried to steer you in the right direction, it is quite simple, you use the AC side of the On Board Power system to transfer power from the tow vehicle to power accessories and charge the house battery bank. It was designed for it's rated capacity and 2000 watts is plenty of available power compared to attempting to charge with a DC to DC charger at 60 amps (which is about the largest DC to DC I've seen). never mind the cable size needed. You won't need to override the PCM control of the smart alternator either, the PCM will control output based upon what the On Board System demands.

This is the easiest and highest power output and even the cheapest.
You don't get anything... I do not have a 2021 hybrid... at all

You don't get anything... I do not have a 2021 hybrid... at all
You are correct, the 2000w power package came in 2021 but it doesn't need to be a hybrid.

You have a 2020 and Ford had the power equipment package optional on XL, but standard on XLT and above. https://www.downsford.com/research-ford-f-150-packages-accessories

However looking at available trucks with the 3.5L, the only trucks offered with that engine were the XL and XLT. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...S/product/2020/f150/2020-F-150-OrderGuide.pdf

I see the power equipment option is only 400w, not 2000w which the 2021 offers. Interesting for certain. But still, that's over 30a on 12v.

With a DC to DC, you will be limited by the size of the wire running thru the 7 pin.

What exactly is your model of truck and what option codes does it have?

You are correct, the 2000w power package came in 2021 but it doesn't need to be a hybrid.

You have a 2020 and Ford had the power equipment package optional on XL, but standard on XLT and above. https://www.downsford.com/research-ford-f-150-packages-accessories

However looking at available trucks with the 3.5L, the only trucks offered with that engine were the XL and XLT. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2020/f150/2020-F-150-OrderGuide.pdf

I see the power equipment option is only 400w, not 2000w which the 2021 offers. Interesting for certain. But still, that's over 30a on 12v.

With a DC to DC, you will be limited by the size of the wire running thru the 7 pin.

What exactly is your model of truck and what option codes does it have?
ZERO of that applies, and none of it is what I asked about. I do not have a 2000w power package
I am not asking about my 400w inverter
I am not asking about sending power through my 7 pin

I am ONLY asking for the charge profile of my alternator, or a good place to find that charge profile

I am ONLY asking for the charge profile of my alternator, or a good place to find that charge profile
AFAIK that alternator is controlled with proprietary Ford software on the main computer control chip.
Could vary by temperature, time, speed, use of accessories, flow of current, etc. Not going to be the same every day.

AFAIK that alternator is controlled with proprietary Ford software on the main computer control chip.
Could vary by temperature, time, speed, use of accessories, flow of current, etc. Not going to be the same every day.
EGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSACTLY

The parameters for that info is what I want to see

Maybe if you berate the Ford engineers as much as you did us, they will give you the answer.

Reactions: Zwy
Good luck in your quest. Many variables.
Thats exactly why I asked. But don't feel bad that you do not know either. I don't know, you don't know. We don't know together. But since you responded, you should get a notification if someone smarter than both of us replies

Maybe if you berate the Ford engineers as much as you did us, they will give you the answer.
I haven't berated anyone intentionally. I did try to redirect several folks that gave me info I did not ask about, nor did I need. Several folks gave me the same info that I did not ask about, nor do I need over and over again, so it does get frustrating. I apologize for attracting so many non-responses. That was not my intension.

But I would love some of your Ford contacts

I thought I was asking a dumb question. But maybe not as it appears I may have stumped the hive. :oops: So bump for Friday eyes.

Any Friday eyes with alternator spec resources?
Mike, I have not found published guidelines on DC-DC charger size either. My vehicle alternator appears to be sized at 160 amps, but until I measure current draw from all the vehicle loads, no idea how much headroom there is. Sure, a 20 amp unit will probably be "safe", but I'd prefer to charge the trailer batteries (will be 200-300 Ah) as much as is feasible on the road. I need more info if I am to go with say 40 or 60 amps. Not sure if the likes of Renogy or Victron have general recommendations.

Back