diy solar

diy solar

DC to DC Charger to Truck Camper Ideas

Mikey44

Hello,
I’m installing a Renogy DC to DC 50 amp MPPT charge controller to my slide in truck camper. The camper isn’t a permanent mount at this time. I’m looking for ideas on how to run my 4 gauge wires and an ignition cable to the truck camper for a somewhat quick and convenient disconnect solution. Obviously a trailer plug as most truck campers have wouldn’t be an option for such a high amp draw. My thought right now is mounting a weatherproof junction box with a terminal block inside to the truck camper and using a small piece of sealtight conduit and filling it with silicone. Then I can just loosen the terminals and the sealtight fitting for separating the truck from the camper. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.56449028-9972-4C38-A5EF-011F54FAE9B1.jpeg

Hello,
I’m installing a Renogy DC to DC 50 amp MPPT charge controller to my slide in truck camper. The camper isn’t a permanent mount at this time. I’m looking for ideas on how to run my 4 gauge wires and an ignition cable to the truck camper for a somewhat quick and convenient disconnect solution. Obviously a trailer plug as most truck campers have wouldn’t be an option for such a high amp draw. My thought right now is mounting a weatherproof junction box with a terminal block inside to the truck camper and using a small piece of sealtight conduit and filling it with silicone. Then I can just loosen the terminals and the sealtight fitting for separating the truck from the camper. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.View attachment 58100
Ever heard of Anderson connectors? Seems like they might be ideal for this use case.

HYCLAT 2-4 Gauge Battery Quick Connect/Disconnect Wire Harness Plug Connector Recovery Winch Trailer, Pack of 2, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHQR0K...abc_3E28WG80XY7D8XDA1HHA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for your “input” (Pun unavoidable) ?
I completely forgot that Anderson connectors very in size, such as those used on golf cart chargers. I was stuck thinking about the 10 gauge ones on my solar battery generator.

Use a Anderson connector.
And a Rain shroud. If you look at this video you will see a couple different methods of getting you wires out without water intrusion.

Couldn't you just bring them through the same place your existing plug comes thru? Mine is right up front on the corner and there is room to bring in another cable.

Yes I can with a little work to get access to the interior chase they’re running through, but more importantly I’m looking for a quick disconnect solution. Currently there is a 10ga 2 prong sae automotive connector there.

This one i pulled from a military solar trailer, pins are about #6 in size. I never could find a match for the other end, so I replaced them with a different style.
That link seems pretty close.

Attachments

• 16276020102625778849620155686935.jpg
    16276020102625778849620155686935.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
Back