diy solar

diy solar

DC8mm head size in MM?

Solargmc

Can someone please tell me the width of a DC8mm connection ,the actual head, not the wire. Want to put through a solar gland, biggest ive found is 12mm opening.

Can someone please tell me the width of a DC8mm connection ,the actual head, not the wire. Want to put through a solar gland, biggest ive found is 12mm opening.
I think an annotated picture may be required.

Are you asking about the wire with the insulation on it? Or, a wire with a ring terminal on the end?
The ring terminal on the end. It measured 5/8" wide, which equates into 15.875 mm. The two hole basic entry gland on amazon go to 12mm. Probably have to go with a solar junction box. Can anyone recommend one without the terminal block, just blank inside, that isnt too big.

Boxes are in all size, but this is the one I’ve had on my roof for a year that acts as a cable entry

I just drilled and inserted cable glands like this:

I put double sided eternabond and applied dicor liberally.

I’ve got project boxes different sizes. I just shop for the inside dimensions that will fit what I need. I do make sure they have an IP rating for waterproofing. I also make sure there’s no holes Predrilled and capped with rubber.

EDIT: If you already have the cable entry box, you may be able to take a dremel, make the hole bigger, and install the gland you want.

Boxes are in all size, but this is the one I’ve had on my roof for a year that acts as a cable entry

I’ve got project boxes different sizes. I just shop for the inside dimensions that will fit what I need. I do make sure they have an IP rating for waterproofing. I also make sure there’s no holes Predrilled and capped with rubber.

EDIT: If you already have the cable entry box, you may be able to take a dremel, make the hole bigger, and install the gland you want.
I was just looking at those boxes. Dremel is good idea; think drill would be too harsh. Did you drill hole on bottom of box and put a conduit so cables run smooth? Thinking 1/2" abs pipe glued to roof with all purpose gorilla glue and sealed with dicor? Thanks for the links.

This is the video I used to make my hole and use the box:

The only thing different I did was instead of where he routed wires through the wall, I put conduit next to the wall big enough to fit wires and with room to expand.

Trying to thread a cable with a lug on it into a cable gland is a bit like trying to put a square peg into a round hole. The glands are intended to be used with cables that have no terminations on them.

The bigger the hole, the more challenging it is to fill it back up. Cut the lug off, thread the cable through, put a new lug on.

Trying to thread a cable with a lug on it into a cable gland is a bit like trying to put a square peg into a round hole. The glands are intended to be used with cables that have no terminations on them.

The bigger the hole, the more challenging it is to fill it back up. Cut the lug off, thread the cable through, put a new lug on

Do you how to re-wire a DC8mm connection head. I have a MC4 pos and neg that leads into one DC8mm connector head insert. I couldnt find any materials online to make my own, let alone know how to do it.

You need an 8mm ring terminal (also known as a cable lug) and a crimper to mate the terminal to the cable.

A picture of what you're working with would help.

The bigger the hole, the more challenging it is to fill it back up. Cut the lug off, thread the cable through, pu

The bigger the hole, the more challenging it is to fill it back up. Cut the lug off, thread the cable through, put a n

The only thing different I did was instead of where he routed wires through the wall, I put conduit next to the wall big enough to fit wires and with room to expand.
Did you buy box off of Tito

Did you get box off of link from Tito RV? Didnt work for me. Been looking on Amazon for black box, lot of bad reviews. Any suggestions?

Did you get box off of link from Tito RV? Didnt work for me. Been looking on Amazon for black box, lot of bad reviews. Any suggestions?
These are two boxes I bought that I would recommend: (I have no idea why the first link appears multiple times)

Both of those are white. The second one comes in multiple sizes.I bought the 9.8 X 5.9 X 5.1

Appears RVWithTito is changing the way he does marketing. I bet his affiliate links don't work. One of those boxes I got off his recommendation. I think it was the first link.

I do think that no matter what box you get, a good coat of paint will make it last in the sun much longer. I have not got around to that yet.

These are two boxes I bought that I would recommend: (I have no idea why the first link appears multiple times)

Both of those are white. The second one comes in multiple sizes.I bought the 9.8 X 5.9 X 5.1

Appears RVWithTito is changing the way he does marketing. I bet his affiliate links don't work. One of those boxes I got off his recommendation. I think it was the first link.

I do think that no matter what box you get, a good coat of paint will make it last in the sun much longer. I have not got around to that yet.
I got adhesion promoter, a primer for plastic. And some Spraymax brand paint, a step up from a hardware store, got auto paint store. I got the the Everland dome shape, two hole. Gonna try sandpaper over a step drill bit turning by hand to enlarge holes. Using a cable gland nut PG16 thats fits 10 to 14mm but tightens over a 5mm just over 1/4", from a DC8mm wire. Is snug, do think im missing something? Any ideas to water test before putting up on roof? Could always put a small amount of Dicor caulk over. Put in a small syringe to get detail and not make mess, havent tried but might work? And planning on using zip ties to join MC4 wires, what about foam tube insulation, for plumbing pipes to protect from elements? Or any other ideas? My two Reneogy 100 watts panels kicked out 94 watts at 11:30. Is it necessary to test volts and amps too?

Last edited:
Could always put a small amount of Dicor caulk over.
That’s what I did. Before I put the Glands on, I applied Dicor with a toothpick, and after the wires were in, I put a thin bead of Dicor around with a toothpick.
Is snug, do think im missing something?
I would say tight more than snug, meaning a bit of force will not pull the wire through. Not a very technical measure. I bought Glands too big for a wire and it was obvious.
My two Reneogy 100 watts panels kicked out 94 watts at 11:30. Is it necessary to test volts and amps too
If they’re pushing out 94 watts, ‘s say they’re probably good. THe wattage depends o how much the batteries need at that time. To get a max rating of my system, I either need to shut off the solar charging until later in the day. Typically done charging by 10. Or I could turn on power hungry appliances until the solar panels can’t keep up.

Fantastic idea. Wish I'd have thought of using these like this. I may replace the actual cable glands i already installed with one of these.

Back