diy solar

diy solar

Dcc50s won't keep selected battery type after alternator is active

miller1587

Hello! I've had a dcc50s for about 2 years now and just upgraded from an agm battery to lithium. I've changed the battery type with the button on the left side of the unit to lithium(blue led) however when starting the vehicle to test alternator charging the battery type led changes colors and cycles through all the battery types. It finally settles on one battery type, seemingly randomly. I'm not sure how to get it to stick to lithium. Even if it happens to randomly settle on lithium after the alternator is active, after restarting the engine it tends to cycle again. Not sure what is going on or how to get it to stick. I'm guessing this is a first batch dcc50s and came with some bugs however I'm pretty sure it is out of warranty and haven't had success it renogy support in the past. I will contact them tomorrow to see if they have any recommendations. I've tried power cycling the unit with no success. The only other thing I can think to try is to purchase the Bluetooth module to try to set it with that. Any ideas?

Support was no help. However I did get through to them when calling in pretty instantaneously which was a surprise. Going to try to power cycle the unit again and see what happens.

So I may have got the setting to stick. For anyone else that had this issue this is what I did.

Disconnect bvs
Disconnect alt
Disconnect pv
Set battery type to lithium
Sit 5 minutes
Disconnect battery
Sit 5 minutes
Reconnect battery
Sit 5 minutes
Reconnect alt
Start vehicle
Sit 5 minutes
Stop vehicle
Reconnect pv
Start vehicle
Sit 5 minutes

Bvs is still disconnected. After a few cycles on the alternator it seems to be sticking. We will see if it stays long term. Fingers crossed. Good luck with your renogy products/issues.

So renogy offered to send me a new replacement unit after giving them negative feedback on their support survey email. No need to send in the old unit. Good on renogy for standing by their first gen products. I'll keep yal updated on how the new unit performs.

That was not my Renogy experience. No help from Renogy customer service ever. They did not even know how the products they market work. Moved on from Renogy to better products, That would be anything other than Renogy.

Back