diy solar

diy solar

DCDC charger and isolator in the same setup

CamperGuy

Hi Guys

Could I have advice as to which battery to wire up a new 30A DCDC charger.

My current vehicle is 2003 V6 Prado with a non-smart alternator.
My current setup in the vehicle is the crank battery, isolator and an under bonnet deep cycle AGM.
I intend to leave this setup in place.

I also have a camper trailer which I am building a new and relatively simple electrical setup.
In the camper I will have a new renogy 100 a/hour battery and renogy dcdc charger mounted in the electrical cabinet in the trailer.

The trailer will be connected to the vehicle using an Anderson plug and thick cable - 6 AWG if I recall correctly.

My question is, should I connect the cable which runs to the traler to the crank battery (bypassing the islator) or from the second deepcycle AGM battery (behind the isolator)?

I will not be mounting the dcdc in the vehicle.

AND

Does it matter?

Cheers,

Hi Guys

Could I have advice as to which battery to wire up a new 30A DCDC charger.

My current vehicle is 2003 V6 Prado with a non-smart alternator.
My current setup in the vehicle is the crank battery, isolator and an under bonnet deep cycle AGM.
I intend to leave this setup in place.

I also have a camper trailer which I am building a new and relatively simple electrical setup.
In the camper I will have a new renogy 100 a/hour battery and renogy dcdc charger mounted in the electrical cabinet in the trailer.

The trailer will be connected to the vehicle using an Anderson plug and thick cable - 6 AWG if I recall correctly.

My question is, should I connect the cable which runs to the traler to the crank battery (bypassing the islator) or from the second deepcycle AGM battery (behind the isolator)?

I'd just run the DC to DC from the crank battery. I assume this is how the 6 AWG is currently or planned to be installed. I see no reason to run the DC to DC off the AGM.

Don't forget to install a fuse at the crank battery.
I will not be mounting the dcdc in the vehicle.

AND

Does it matter?

Cheers,
DC to DC in the trailer will work just fine.

Thank you Zwy this helps.

And yes, there is a fuse on the bale from the crank side of the cable to the trailer and a circuit breaker on the trailer side.

Back