diy solar

diy solar

De-combiner box?

Mhoward84

I am helping a friend build a big off grid setup and will have 60 panels on a carport.

The 3x sol ark inputs require we do 6x strings of 5p2s.

Do I have to run all 6 wire pairs all the way to the inverter or can I combine them in a combiner box then send it all back with a heavier gauge cable then “de-combine” it with another fused combiner box in reverse?

I look at lots of solar installs in my neighborhood and it doesn’t look like the conduit is big enough for all 3 pairs of wires running to 3 mppt inverters and I’m wondering how it’s done. Thanks for any information in advance!

Separate pairs of wires.
Do all of the neighbors have the exact same system?
Every system is different.

Separate pairs of wires.
Do all of the neighbors have the exact same system?
Every system is different.
Thanks for the answer. I am also looking to do another solar install to a sunny boy 7.7 and it has 3 MPPT trackers and it sounds like I need to do a run to each one of them? So 3 pairs of wires down roof to the shutoff to the inverter?

Thanks for the answer. I am also looking to do another solar install to a sunny boy 7.7 and it has 3 MPPT trackers and it sounds like I need to do a run to each one of them? So 3 pairs of wires down roof to the shutoff to the inverter?
Yes

most grid tie solar (neighborhood systems) are high voltage DC 400(ish) volts which means the wire can be small.

And as Tim said, yes 3 pairs (6 wires? or 6 pairs 12 wires?) all home run.

Back