diy solar

diy solar

Dealing with 2 inch pipe threading and cutting

BrianBurns

Hello All,

My local plumbing company, after saying they will supply, and thread the 2 inch pipe that I need for my solar installation, has declined to do the threading and cutting. If you have decided to take on the jobs yourself, how have you solved these problems?

Cheers,

Brian Burns

Think through the problem. Do you already have the 2" pipe? If not, buy some that's already threaded. If you already have the pipe, is there another way to connect them without threading? Can someone else do the threading? Can you use a different type of pipe altogether?

Weld?

Rental place have a threading machine? They may even thread it at the store for you.

Other electrical supply company.

I have this style that will do up to 2"

however never used that large. Biggest ive done was 1.25 and it gets old REAL quick. I also have a tri vice I use to hold the pipe so a good vise setup is going to be a must for 2". its a 2 person job.

I would recommend finding a plumbing supply house and see if they will thread for you with the machine.

I second the idea of using off the shelf precut and threaded pipe, if possible.
In the US, many Home Depot and Lowe's stores will thread pipe that you buy from them. The may charge something for that, I don't remember if I paid last time.
I would do everything practical to return the pipe you purchased. If they said they would thread it and now won't, you should get your money back and they should have the fun of re-stocking the stuff.
If you are using this for a structural purpose, steel angle is almost always cheaper and easier to work with.

+1 to what Vigi suggested. I've had my local Home Depot thread pipe for me. It's usually an old guy that does it. If they try to stick you with a pimply faced high school kid, find someone else.

For Solar ........Aluminum Channel is popular. It can be cut and drilled for bolting

Many use the 2" or 1.5" galvanized pipe for their anchor poles(better corrosion resistance than painted carbon steel, stronger than aluminum)-Others use old fashioned wood 6X6 or similar. Common connection type from pipe to the aluminum channel are U-Bolts, which when proper installed are plenty strong, plus they come galvanized so the zinc corrodes in favor over the aluminum channel.

What has you set on the threaded pipe for the connection method?

Last
I would not human muscle thread the pipe. Rent one of the electric motor gear reduction tools, bring a small cut piece and have them demonstrate to you how to do the threading-renting allows you to "field to fit" for the poor tolerances usually associated with home craftsman inexperience on what is important in alignment. There are tricks to using those machines on aligning and from memory 2" is hitting the limit of the home rental machine.

What specifically limits you to 2" threaded pipe connections. Did you buy the material and have a huge investment in it? Was it going to be much cheaper than those pricey aluminum kits sold by the manufactures designed for their panels?

I can't say I have ever seen a full 2" threaded pipe support/frame.

Back