diy solar

diy solar

Dear Will, Custom one of a kind 48v lifepo4 pack for DIY, i bet you've never seen a pack like this!!!!

I thought that was odd no one mentioned all the gpus. Probably don't understand it. I only run 100 out of my house. The rest are at my clients house. 128 cards are mine in total. I don't ac cool any of them. I use different methods to loop the outside air in and back out of my garage or house. Been working like that for 5 years now. I use the extra thick cards. They can run in 120 degree air no problem.
Ha, only 100! I have a few 1080ti’s, ( and other cards) and they like their energy. I paid $9600 in electric last year, with a fraction of your hardware. I want the miners inside in winter for the heat, but they need to be elsewhere in summer. I added enough cards that the AC can’t handle the load and ices up.

Thinking of moving them to an old horse trailer, and powering partially with solar, out back, then moving indoor in winter. But.... if I can vent the heat outside in summer saves then pain of moving. Might try a little of both

That is next-level stuff, for sure! You could probably get a job engineering battery solutions for someone like Signature Solar.

One thing I've noticed about all of these technologies is that they are evolving VERY quickly. What was crude, but acceptable, just a few years ago is now something the market would not be interested in. For a time, DIY was the only way to get exactly what you wanted, while ensuring it was built correctly. For better or worse, competition amongst commercial suppliers has resulted in being able to buy consumer-grade products for not much more than a quality DIY build. I will say that the build quality in this thread is superior to most commercial products, which is not nearly as easy to do as it used to be.

That is next-level stuff, for sure! You could probably get a job engineering battery solutions for someone like Signature Solar.

One thing I've noticed about all of these technologies is that they are evolving VERY quickly. What was crude, but acceptable, just a few years ago is now something the market would not be interested in. For a time, DIY was the only way to get exactly what you wanted, while ensuring it was built correctly. For better or worse, competition amongst commercial suppliers has resulted in being able to buy consumer-grade products for not much more than a quality DIY build. I will say that the build quality in this thread is superior to most commercial products, which is not nearly as easy to do as it used to be.
Yeah I fully agree. When I started started doing this 2 years ago. It was easy to make profits on this stuff by using quality eve cells. Now you can buy a sok rack mounted battery for reasonable that's quality. I will never make another battery like this one in the post. If I summed up the hours it took. I'm probably making 10 dollars an hour. It was more fun and educational for me.

I'm currently running off a 1070 GTX :LOL: for my main PC. I need to upgrade here shortly.

Mining is easy. Buy video card and PC for $1000 to $3500, pour $2.00 of electricity in per day, get $4.00 of alt-coin out, and hope the coin does not crash for 500 to 1750 days (not counting income taxes).

What you are really doing is hoping the coin goes from $2800 each to $100,000 each so that you can afford to buy the batteries/solar panels to support it 24 hours per day.

Very similar to my builds. I'm using diagonal connections too, Looks a whole lot cleaner & diagonal connections don't stress as much if the cells shift a bit.

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 69
Very similar to my builds. I'm using diagonal connections too, Looks a whole lot cleaner & diagonal connections don't stress as much if the cells shift a bit.

I do quite like those diagonal bus-bars, I may well go that way for my next pack (more used golf-cart cells are on order).

Bus bars in aluminium would make it affordable.

I do quite like those diagonal bus-bars, I may well go that way for my next pack (more used golf-cart cells are on order).

Bus bars in aluminium would make it affordable.
i had a guy custom make those. i wouldn't really call them bus bars. they are actual pure copper wire with galvanized lugs. i think it was only like 100 dollars to have them made up for me. i use to make them myself but for 100 dollars..... huge time saver for me.. my whole goal with this pack is to be able to buy as much of the items instead of making them so i can reproduce faster.

$2 / guessing $.20/kWh = 10kWh
10kWh / 24h = 416W system? Sounds low. Or you get power for a lot less than $.20/kWh?
lmfao.. 20 cent per kWh. holy smokes. yeah right.. you can't mine at those rates. i pay 4.3 cents kWh 8 months of the year and 9 cents kWh 4 months of summer.

Yep, It ain't easy or very profitable. You mine and hope the coin takes off

I am at 18 cent/kw and summer rates take it to 27/kw, which just makes solar look better.

I'm going to start my own thread soon, to not hijack the battery build any more

For every dollar of income you pay $.40 in electric, and $.15 in taxes. Then pay for hardware after that.

Last edited:
Mining is easy. Buy video card and PC for $1000 to $3500, pour $2.00 of electricity in per day, get $4.00 of alt-coin out, and hope the coin does not crash for 500 to 1750 days (not counting income taxes).

What you are really doing is hoping the coin goes from $2800 each to $100,000 each so that you can afford to buy the batteries/solar panels to support it 24 hours per day.
unfortunately solar alone isn't even worth the investment. let alone batteries. Issue one is my power rate is already fairly cheap. in my region the panels alone would take 15 years to pay off. There are loads of other investments that pay off way sooner. So as nice as it sounds isn't realistic to power crypto mining with solar. It's better to just pay for the power and buy more hardware or invest it elsewhere.

$.043 per kWh, wow. California would tax that up to $.20 just for the fun of it. Our rates are $.45 at peak mid afternoon to 9pm. It sucks.

What free country are you in?
I'm in the united states. there are lots of places in the US that have below 5 cent kWh power rates. Just have to know where. luckily i just live in one of those regions.

unfortunately solar alone isn't even worth the investment. let alone batteries. Issue one is my power rate is already fairly cheap. in my region the panels alone would take 15 years to pay off. There are loads of other investments that pay off way sooner. So as nice as it sounds isn't realistic to power crypto mining with solar. It's better to just pay for the power and buy more hardware or invest it elsewhere.
Yep, I understand that mining wont pay for the solar, but I want to play. I found a decent used SCC, and ordering 30 used panels. Going to turn off the miners soon because of the heat and rate increase, so... have to have a different distraction

you operate the batterbox in this standing orientation ? so the cells lay on the large side ?

Back