diy solar

diy solar

Decent quality but affordable power meter/monitor and shunt?

fastline

So I have used some top of the line goods but they are big bucks. I am debating here. I currently have a small system running on one of these small China power meters/shunts. Meter is accurate! However, the way the shunt is made, anemic screws and such, I am reluctant to push that thing without concern.

The meter itself works for me, it is probably more about that POS shunt! But I don't believe the meter can be adjusted or calibrated for a different shunt.

In any case, looking forward, I will really want a monitor/shunt unit on the network, possibly with other fun features, so I can see the info remotely.

So I guess I am asking for both a cheap solution and probably a more expensive 'network' solution to consider.

So I have used some top of the line goods but they are big bucks. I am debating here. I currently have a small system running on one of these small China power meters/shunts. Meter is accurate! However, the way the shunt is made, anemic screws and such, I am reluctant to push that thing without concern.

The meter itself works for me, it is probably more about that POS shunt! But I don't believe the meter can be adjusted or calibrated for a different shunt.

In any case, looking forward, I will really want a monitor/shunt unit on the network, possibly with other fun features, so I can see the info remotely.

So I guess I am asking for both a cheap solution and probably a more expensive 'network' solution to consider.

Does the shunt have the mV printed on it? Many do.

Can likely get a suitable 50mV/75mV or 100mV quality shunt for short money. Simply needs to match what you have.

"the network" is vague.

The under $50 AiLi meter and shunt is fantastic. I have a dozen of them working on my systems and friends. None have failed in near 10 years.....Available with a 350a or 500 amp shunt. The lower amp shunt will give you a bit better accuracy. Can't beat it for the $$....

I agree, that appears to be a much better quality piece! However, I don't yet know the specs on that shunt, but would YOU be comfortable pushing 600A through that? One that I have now I think is a 100A piece but has these little anemic screws, no lugs.

The 600A shunt is huge and has 2 connecting lugs on each end. It is very strong.
From the pictures, the 400A has a single connection lug on each end.

Actually my shunt is marked as 750A don't know if they all come like that.

Another vote for the wonvon / junktek / insert clone company here.
I've been running the 600a for a few months with nearly zero issues. Bluetooth connection is great 99.9% of the time, sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect but I'm blaming this on the cheap tablet more than the decently functional app ?. 1 time the display froze on the Ah and V readings to displayed when first connected and I had to reset to fix, which caused me to lose all the decent data it had logged.
I wonder if you can get these to communicate with solar assistant... ? I don't use it as often since buying solar assistant...
Anyway, this is the one I've been using, WonVon 600A Smart Battery Monitor, https://a.co/d/0mfnp4b the dual studs were nice when i started my build with 2 packs but will be a hindrance when I add packs 3 and 4. I'll likey just buy another one. The price has increased $10 since I initially purchased in July.
Random photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_194233.jpg
    IMG_20221024_194233.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20221010_203540.jpg
    IMG_20221010_203540.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20221010_201313.jpg
    IMG_20221010_201313.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 10
I am curious if the above monitor can track negative power flow? On one of my systems, I am configured to push power back through the shunt for battery charging, but the meter will just real 0. This is on an FLA system, but it becomes pretty important to track charge data with Li. I realize a good charge controller or inverter/charger should be able to track some of this, but I like options and redundancy.

There is a logging feature in the app, it worked for a few days and quit, I tried multiple versions of the app and gave up.
It reads negative and positive current, the photos I posted above show negative / discharge. Some +/- attached. Charging is green.

Attachments

• IMG_20221214_203345.jpg
    IMG_20221214_203345.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20221211_155514.jpg
    IMG_20221211_155514.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 3
For that $90 price you might as well buy a $130 Victron Smart Shunt.

I am curious if the above monitor can track negative power flow? On one of my systems, I am configured to push power back through the shunt for battery charging, but the meter will just real 0. This is on an FLA system, but it becomes pretty important to track charge data with Li. I realize a good charge controller or inverter/charger should be able to track some of this, but I like options and redundancy.
Right. I saw that flaw when I was looking years ago.
I decided against a display and opted for bluetooth phone app.
Victron Smart Shunt filled the bill and it serves as a battery voltage sense for the Victron Smart Solar controller.
A lot more choices now. Found a Smart Shunt knock off for $70. Only 1 review. I don't trust china.
Victron SS knockoff

Last edited:
Back