diy solar

diy solar

Decided To Go For It - Career Change Imminent!! ?

tictag

Off-Grid Enthusiast
So I've been umm'ing and ahh'ing about if for a while but I finally decided to embark on a new career - I'm going to re-train as an electrician.

I've worked out all the courses and 'ologies I need and have enrolled on my first course starting 13 Sep 2020: City & Guilds [2365-3] Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Services). I'll be doing it part time so it's going to take around a year. I eventually want to achieve my ECS 'Gold Card' (Electrotechnical Certification Scheme).

I've always been interested in the industry and I like the idea of being a tradesman leading into retirement (yes, I am that old!). I am hoping that my previous careers (Class 1 Avionics Technician, Technical Project Manager) will help me to differentiate myself.

I hope that, with my additional training, I can help more on this forum as time goes by! :)

In 2017 I injured my arm and was in therapy 2 times each week for a few weeks. Another fellow was in there very often when I was in there and he owned a small electrical contracting company. He said that he could not get and keep good help. I think electrican would be a great choice. Good luck in your job and training.

That's very kind of you to say, you've definitely made it onto my Christmas card list! ;)

it is always good to have multiple options heading into retirement in today's world.

My options are called lakes. Which lake will it be today that I fish at? At least that's that plan.

woodyallen1-2x.jpg

So I've been umm'ing and ahh'ing about if for a while but I finally decided to embark on a new career - I'm going to re-train as an electrician.

I've worked out all the courses and 'ologies I need and have enrolled on my first course starting 13 Sep 2020: City & Guilds [2365-3] Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Services). I'll be doing it part time so it's going to take around a year. I eventually want to achieve my ECS 'Gold Card' (Electrotechnical Certification Scheme).

I've always been interested in the industry and I like the idea of being a tradesman leading into retirement (yes, I am that old!). I am hoping that my previous careers (Class 1 Avionics Technician, Technical Project Manager) will help me to differentiate myself.

I hope that, with my additional training, I can help more on this forum as time goes by! :)
Oh man, I’ve been tossing around this idea as well!! Through my exposure to Will and my endeavors with my diy van build, I’ve acquired a real passion for electricity. I’m a self employed lawyer at the moment but would love to ease back a bit and try something else. I’ve had so much fun using my hands and brain in a very different way in the process of building out my van compared to the practice of law. I find myself daydreaming about my diy battery, solar installation etc — it’s crazy! I’d love to hear about anything you learn regarding the certification process etc!

I’d love to hear about anything you learn regarding the certification process etc!
Are you US or UK (or other) based?

If UK, you won't go far wrong looking at how to achieve the ECS Gold Card (linked above). In short that's:

City & Guilds Qualifications

1. City & Guilds 2365-3 Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings, Structures) [520 hours]
2. City & Guilds 2392-10 Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification [36 hours]
3. City & Guilds 2391-52 Level 3 Award in Initial and Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations [67 hours]
4. City & Guilds 2382-18 Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671:2018 [35 hours]

Other

1. Current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental assessment.
2. NET AM2S assessment

If US, (or anywhere else for that matter!), I don't know, I'm afraid.

You can 'get on the ladder' with fewer qualifications and/or apprenticeships but I'm too old to be starting at the bottom! Gonna take my time getting qual'd up, get some experience in the industry before, hopefully, starting my own electrical contracting company (five year plan).

Are you US or UK (or other) based?

If UK, you won't go far wrong looking at how to achieve the ECS Gold Card (linked above). In short that's:

City & Guilds Qualifications

1. City & Guilds 2365-3 Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings, Structures) [520 hours]
2. City & Guilds 2392-10 Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification [36 hours]
3. City & Guilds 2391-52 Level 3 Award in Initial and Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations [67 hours]
4. City & Guilds 2382-18 Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671:2018 [35 hours]

Other

1. Current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental assessment.
2. NET AM2S assessment

If US, (or anywhere else for that matter!), I don't know, I'm afraid.

You can 'get on the ladder' with fewer qualifications and/or apprenticeships but I'm too old to be starting at the bottom! Gonna take my time getting qual'd up, get some experience in the industry before, hopefully, starting my own electrical contracting company (five year plan).
Sounds like you’ve got a great plan! Unfortunately, I‘m in the US — I’ve done some brief searching around. I think I would need some sort of apprenticeship.

Unfortunately, I‘m in the US — I’ve done some brief searching around.
There are plenty of qualified US-based electricians on this forum, maybe post a query? I'll bet somebody could point you in the right direction.

Sounds like you’ve got a great plan! Unfortunately, I‘m in the US — I’ve done some brief searching around. I think I would need some sort of apprenticeship.
I’m in NC, USA, and here all that is required to become an electrician is the desire to do so.
I just hired an apprentice, near zero experience, and he has garnered 200 hours towards his 8300 hour goal to apply for the chance to take the electrical exam...

But, you can apply for a special license if you operate any contracting field that has electrical equipment in it, that qualifies you to take the special limited license, exam, then you work 2 years, and you are qualified to take the limited electrical exam, then you work 2 years as that, qualifier, and you qualify to take the unlimited license exam...

go for it!

First, Congratulations Tictag. That is fantastic. They say its never too late to change career paths but me, I am just to lazy lol.
Second, Berksrunner there are a lot of apprenticeship programs out there. After your apprenticsehip is done you will have 1000's of opportunites. Places you find yourself will be endless. Good luck to both of you.

Back