diy solar

diy solar

Dedicated LIFEPO4 charger VS Charge Controller that charges all batteries?

WYtreasure

It's not happy hour, I'm just like this.
I have been searching for a LIFEPO4 charger which puts out more than 20 Amps. The cost of the AC charger is about the same as an inexpensive MPPT Solar Charger. Why not buy the inexpensive 12/24 Volt Charge Controller instead of a "dedicated LIFEPO4" AC charger?

I will have an additional Charge Controller which will charge many types of batteries and could be used as a backup if my primary Charge Controller fails. The extra controller could be used somewhere else, like in my trailer, or shed.

My system is 24 volts, my batteries are 12 volts. It is recommended to fully charge the batteries individually prior to connecting them in series.

So buy a single purpose (practically single use) charger and watch it collect dust or another charge controller to tinker with?

What are your thoughts?

Edit/Update:
I purchased an Epever 6415AN charge controller for about $250.
Now, in addition to being able to increase my array beyond my AIO capabilities; I have a way to charge 12, 24, 36 or 48 volt batteries.
It made more sense than spending money on something that would just collect dust 99.9% of the time.

Last edited:
Something I caught recently with some vendors which I thought was really smart.

How about an Ampere-Time 12v / 40A unit?

Other than surpassing your required current, it has a special feature that was missing in the past - and which your controller doesn't have:

Low voltage recognition with automated low-current throttling (1-8A depending) to bring the battery safely out of a deep discharge knee in case of some sort of system failure. Or receipt of an addition to your system that shows up low voltage - even after a bms wakeup. That sort of thing.

Doing that job safely means using very low current at first, until it is safe to apply normal standard high charge current. Previously, instead of being an automated process, one had to know to use very low current in the first place - and in a few projects discussed here that went up in smoke could have been saved by that automation.

I notice that the budget LFP guys that offer rebadged versions of their 10/20A and now 40A versions have this first stage, usually seen shown as the "T1 Pre-Charge Stage". Smart.

Ampere-Time, PowerQueen, TimeUSB, even ThePro all seem to be the same charger rebadged with this low-current pre-charge stage. At least as of today. I've seen them even offer them as combos. Previously the only one that has been doing this for decades has been Tecmate-Optimate in the powersports demographic.

Just some additional points to ponder that might make it seem a little more value than just the one-off initial charge kind of thing.

Last edited:
Something I caught recently with some vendors which I thought was really smart.

How about an Ampere-Time 12v / 40A unit?

Other than surpassing your required current, it has a special feature that was missing in the past - and which your controller doesn't have:

Low voltage recognition with automated low-current throttling (1-8A depending) to bring the battery safely out of a deep discharge knee in case of some sort of system failure. Or receipt of an addition to your system that shows up low voltage - even after a bms wakeup. That sort of thing.

Doing that job safely means using very low current at first, until it is safe to apply normal standard high charge current. Previously, instead of being an automated process, one had to know to use very low current in the first place - and in a few projects discussed here that went up in smoke could have been saved by that automation.

I notice that the budget LFP guys that offer rebadged versions of their 10/20A and now 40A versions have this first stage, usually seen shown as the "T1 Pre-Charge Stage". Smart.

Ampere-Time, PowerQueen, TimeUSB, even ThePro all seem to be the same charger rebadged with this low-current pre-charge stage. At least as of today. I've seen them even offer them as combos. Previously the only one that has been doing this for decades has been Tecmate-Optimate in the powersports demographic.

Just some additional points to ponder that might make it seem a little more value than just the one-off initial charge kind of thing.
Thanks for the info and additional considerations. A smart charger would be easier than what I have had in mind.

Keeping my posts out of the Up In Smoke forum is the ultimate goal.

Back