diy solar

diy solar

Deep cycle battery or just normal ok

killersheep34

Hi. I'm just after a bit of advice please.

I have an old radio I'm converting to a Bluetooth speaker and I want to fit a 12v sla battery to it so that it can be portable, and when the battery requires charging I can connect it to my solar system in my shed to charge.

The Bluetooth amplifier I have draws about 0.3a and after I've finished hooking up the lights etc reckon it'll be about 0.5a.

So. If I want about 6 hours use, which size battery should I opt for and should I go for a deep cycle battery or a standard one? I don't want to mess around with lithium ideally.

I currently use a 14ah deep cycle for my solar lights in the garden and that works great. Ideally a smaller one would be better but please let me know if I'm being ambitious.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220712_073956.jpg
    IMG_20220712_073956.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 3
I think most SLA of the size you are looking for would be considered deep cycle. The type that are about brick size are around 10 amp hours. Plan to use about 5 amp hours, so 0.3amps would give you about 15 hours.

There are 5V USB lithium packs that would seem more usable than a SLA battery even if a small boost module would be necessary to raise the voltage..

There are 5V USB lithium packs that would seem more usable than a SLA battery even if a small boost module would be necessary to raise the voltage..
Interesting

Would you be able to link me to the required components? It needs to be 12v ideally.

Thank you.

12v LiFePo4 would give you more recharge cycles and more run time than SLA, but at more cost. Here is an example 12v 10ah. For a light duty application SLA would be fine (heavy and shorter run time).

I have ordered this and am going to try it with a powerbank first and set the output voltage to 12v. That way I can also just use a standard USB charger too to power the radio too. This assumes I've understood it correctly!

I chose a 12v 7ah sla battery in the end.

Pleased with how long it lasts so far.

Rigged the old lights up to the dial just for effect too.

Pleased with the result.

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_172427.jpg
    IMG_20220716_172427.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220716_170602.jpg
    IMG_20220716_170602.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 1
Back