diy solar

diy solar

Delivery from Docan with a few scuff and marks

Palonko Chonko

I have just received an order of 16 pcs of grade A EVE LF280K.

8 out of 16 cells have some mark or scuff.

Also there's some bulging on the cells. Not much but they don't meet flat on flat with each other.

To me, they don't seem to be what I would imagine a grade A cells to be like.

I wonder if this is normal or if I should complain about it. What would you say?

Check pictures. Can only upload 10 pics but there's actually a bit more marks. I can also upload a pictures of the bulging.

Attachments

• 20220619_160330.jpg
    20220619_160330.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220619_160526.jpg
    20220619_160526.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220619_160942.jpg
    20220619_160942.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220619_161003.jpg
    20220619_161003.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220619_161047.jpg
    20220619_161047.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220619_161325.jpg
    20220619_161325.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220619_161340.jpg
    20220619_161340.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220619_161542.jpg
    20220619_161542.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220619_161828.jpg
    20220619_161828.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220619_161915.jpg
    20220619_161915.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 45
This has been discussed to death at this point:

You should have read these forums before making your purchase.

I wonder if this is normal or if I should complain about it. What would you say?
Start with contacting Docan and sharing the same photos you shared here, don't 'complain', ask what they are going to do to rectify the situation... Give them a chance to fix it then complain and contact CC company if they don't.
Was the packaging damaged? Any chance you took pictures of packaging?

I've ordered twice from Jenny, about to make a third, and never had an issue like that. The way the cells are packed, I don't see how it could happen unless the outer box is seriously crushed.

Did you order from China or US warehouse?

Well that stinks. My ~50kWH FLA pack is all but dead and I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to go. Just about the time I get think I'm ready to jump on getting something from China I hear another one of these stories.

Please excuse my naivety but just what does bulging mean? Is the cell a goner? Is it dangerous? Do 4000 cycles turn into 1000 cycles?? Do 280AH turn 250AH?

This has been discussed to death at this point:

You should have read these forums before making your purchase.
Both of those threads likely played out after the OP would have made his order so they wouldn't have helped.

What are the date of manufacture of the cells.

Im also curious if they were drop shipped from China or if they came from US Stock

Both of those threads likely played out after the OP would have made his order so they wouldn't have helped.
Well that is too bad, the price you pay for DIY, live and learn.

If they were bought form the Houston Ware house I would ask for a return, if form China through Alibaba then they will probably offer a discount or partial refund.

Well that stinks. My ~50kWH FLA pack is all but dead and I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to go. Just about the time I get think I'm ready to jump on getting something from China I hear another one of these stories.

Please excuse my naivety but just what does bulging mean? Is the cell a goner? Is it dangerous? Do 4000 cycles turn into 1000 cycles?? Do 280AH turn 250AH?
Bulging, in fact, more people will write it as "Battery Swelling". Swelling means that there is too much gas inside the battery, which may even cause damage to the internal components. die, and will become more dangerous. However, whether the swell can be used also needs to be judged according to the degree of the swell.

Im also curious if they were drop shipped from China or if they came from US Stock
I am too. Are you implying that one might be more likely to get good cells and have a better chance of remediation if they came from USA stock?

If did it right and picked out the ~same~ cells it looked like getting 16 cells from Docan USA was only $500 more than getting them from Docan China.

Bulging, in fact, more people will write it as "Battery Swelling". Swelling means that there is too much gas inside the battery, which may even cause damage to the internal components. die, and will become more dangerous. However, whether the swell can be used also needs to be judged according to the degree of the swell.
Thanks for that link. I liked that site. Thier FAQ's were very helpful for those of us who are quickly getting lost in the details of building a battery for the first time.

Hi again

I have written to Jenny. She is saying that the cells are brand new and that "a little bulging in normal" also that a few scratches due to shopping is normal.

I had an issue sending her pics, so she has not seen the severity of the dents and scratches. But I sent her the pics now also explaining that looking at the shapes of the dents was obviously not done by shipping. A whole in the heatshrink has been "repaired " with tape and there's even one of the dents that is marked out with a pen.

Was a sales rep contacted for the purchase or was this click and buy?
I bought through direct contact with Jenny

Start with contacting Docan and sharing the same photos you shared here, don't 'complain', ask what they are going to do to rectify the situation... Give them a chance to fix it then complain and contact CC company if they don't.
Was the packaging damaged? Any chance you took pictures of packaging?

I've ordered twice from Jenny, about to make a third, and never had an issue like that. The way the cells are packed, I don't see how it could happen unless the outer box is seriously crushed.

Did you order from China or US warehouse?
I ordered fra China warehouse since I am based in Europe.

What do you mean by "CC company"?

Unfortunately I don't have clear pictures of the boxes, but for sure the dents are not due to shipping.

Well that is too bad, the price you pay for DIY, live and learn.

If they were bought form the Houston Ware house I would ask for a return, if form China through Alibaba then they will probably offer a discount or partial refund.
We will see what they offer. Do you have suggestions on what would be fair?

In the end I got some bad cells, but... they risk loosing their reputation in the DIY community. I wonder of they even care about this. Otherwise I don't have much to play with other than the fact that the sold me "brand new" but they are obviously not.

Will be interested in the reply when the pictures are seen.
Have they been charged or capacity tested? I still think there is an excellent chance they will perform fine in service.
Sad to see the QC dropping. Really need a scratch and dent store.

That looks all cosmetic to me, unless I'm missing some swelling.

Will be interested in the reply when the pictures are seen.
Have they been charged or capacity tested? I still think there is an excellent chance they will perform fine in service.
Sad to see the QC dropping. Really need a scratch and dent store.
I am also looking forward to the answer.

Unfortunately I dont have the equipment to do testing and charging yet.

What is a the easiest way to do a capacity test? Co sodered the ZKE tester, but I think it is expensive.

Actually I was so sure to get good cells following the recommendations of Docan and Jenny that I thought not to do capacity test and just assemble the battery, charge it and use it. Now j feel like to want to know what I actually got here in terms of capacity.

I have a JK BMS for the cells waiting to be wired up.

Could wire it and put it through a cycle. JK has a capacity function, yes?
Need to verify balance is decent at the first top charge.

I am too. Are you implying that one might be more likely to get good cells and have a better chance of remediation if they came from USA stock?

If did it right and picked out the ~same~ cells it looked like getting 16 cells from Docan USA was only $500 more than getting them from Docan China.

No idea, just hoping the company doesn’t go south.

As a customer of Jenny and ordered only 8 cells I’d be very upset if this was delivered to my door for my next order.

The only way these companies will keep their standards high is to demand it if them via fighting with payment charge backs.

Back