diy solar

diy solar

Delta H6 6000W Grid-Tied Inverter NEW Battery-less Backup UL1741 Rule 21 2MPPT

Hi again, so i gave it a very modest job to do so it cant get too wild. connected it to a 250v 2000w array and back to the split phase mains of my 48v inverter. It has done a good job for two days now. No issues with it at all. The reactive power sometimes reads 0. Usually under 200w and occasionally 500w. The manual doesnt tell me if reactive power display is what the inverter is outputing or is it simply "monitoring". The power factor display reads .99 much of the time but occasionally will bounce around in the .9x + and -.
Ive resolved not to worry about it. Not much i can do anyway.

Hi again, so i gave it a very modest job to do so it cant get too wild. connected it to a 250v 2000w array and back to the split phase mains of my 48v inverter. It has done a good job for two days now. No issues with it at all. The reactive power sometimes reads 0. Usually under 200w and occasionally 500w. The manual doesnt tell me if reactive power display is what the inverter is outputing or is it simply "monitoring". The power factor display reads .99 much of the time but occasionally will bounce around in the .9x + and -.
Ive resolved not to worry about it. Not much i can do anyway.
Since it sound's like you've explored the parameter settings menus, is there a setting to limit it's output? ie: how many watts to export to grid. (I doubt it, and don't see anything like that listed in the manual.

The manual lists the max frequency as 61Hz, and gives a frequency range of 59.3 - 60.5Hz. It suggests that the frequency limit is adjustable. Does the inverter output just trip off completely for 5 minutes if the grid frequency is tripped? Or does it ramp output down a little more gracefully over a few tenths of a Hz?

I'm wondering about using this inverter, AC coupled behind an off-grid battery inverter, which ramps the frequency up to limit incoming AC power.

Since it sound's like you've explored the parameter settings menus, is there a setting to limit it's output? ie: how many watts to export to grid. (I doubt it, and don't see anything like that listed in the manual.

The manual lists the max frequency as 61Hz, and gives a frequency range of 59.3 - 60.5Hz. It suggests that the frequency limit is adjustable. Does the inverter output just trip off completely for 5 minutes if the grid frequency is tripped? Or does it ramp output down a little more gracefully over a few tenths of a Hz?

I'm wondering about using this inverter, AC coupled behind an off-grid battery inverter, which ramps the frequency up to limit incoming AC power.

Hello daklein,
In regards to your frequency control question, i think all grid tie inverters will play that game as its part of the requirement for grid tieing. Since it has adjustable frequency limits, you can set it to shut off at any point needed. Very nice. My main inverter doesnt have that feature so i switch the 240 with a relay to stop it when needed. Seems like a bad idea but so far its worked well, it doesnt have to switch much as its a last option after dump loads are on.
This H6 is still running fine. Its now got 12 250w panels to run. It seems like it gets more power from panels than my other gridtie. Seems strange almost too good to be true, sometimes, rated power from summer aimed panels during winter... HA, not complaining but the numbers coming from this H6 seem inflated. I do like it but ive no idea if it would handle the 6k rated. My other one rated at 3500 has run at 3650 for hours with a fan on front, 7000 kwh on it now.

Hello daklein,
In regards to your frequency control question, i think all grid tie inverters will play that game as its part of the requirement for grid tieing. Since it has adjustable frequency limits, you can set it to shut off at any point needed. Very nice. My main inverter doesnt have that feature so i switch the 240 with a relay to stop it when needed. Seems like a bad idea but so far its worked well, it doesnt have to switch much as its a last option after dump loads are on.
This H6 is still running fine. Its now got 12 250w panels to run. It seems like it gets more power from panels than my other gridtie. Seems strange almost too good to be true, sometimes, rated power from summer aimed panels during winter... HA, not complaining but the numbers coming from this H6 seem inflated. I do like it but ive no idea if it would handle the 6k rated. My other one rated at 3500 has run at 3650 for hours with a fan on front, 7000 kwh on it now.
could you give some details on how you've wired your system? Pictures would be great too. I have one and I'd like to use it the same way, just keep hearing horror stories of how these blow up if not wired perfectly.

Hello daklein,
In regards to your frequency control question, i think all grid tie inverters will play that game as its part of the requirement for grid tieing. Since it has adjustable frequency limits, you can set it to shut off at any point needed.

Certainly not all. Earlier UL-1741 didn't require frequency-watts ramping down of output. Standard required feature of UL-1741-SA doesn't either, rather ride-through of certain frequency and voltage excursions for 299 seconds before disconnecting no later than 300 seconds.

It looked to me like frequency-watts was an optional feature.

Thanks for pointing that out Hedges. I didnt read post carefully, i thought all he wanted was inverter to shut down when frequency reaches set limit. Ive heard of people using them this way, of course its all or nothing.

could you give some details on how you've wired your system? Pictures would be great too. I have one and I'd like to use it the same way, just keep hearing horror stories of how these blow up if not wired perfectly.

Hi Denwa,
I cant speak for the blowing up part but having used it for several months now, i will admit its a spooky inverter and best not to do anything to anger it.
What i mean is take precautions to build your system so nothing emergency ever needs to happen, for example...
Make sure your fuses/breakers are sized so they will never trip under normal circumstances.
If off grid, dont hook up more array power on input than your 120/240 circuit and battery inverter can handle. Im not sure it would be wise to run this past 4500w. Early in its life, i connected two arrays, a 2.2kw and a 2350w. When it has that much power to work with and it sees an issue with power factor it automatically tries to correct it and will use its full 6kw capability to do so. It literally blew up my battery inverter under these circumstances with 5500w on the display. I cant say for sure on details but it does not act tame at high power levels. Maybe on grid it would be ok but something seems way less stable than my other 3.5kw emerson. Another glitch i noticed today, first time ive ever seen this, it was reading bogus power numbers like neg and positive 12378 in 5 digits. I scroll through menus and grid current is reading 50A, L1 reading 170V L2 reading 95V, i grab a meter and check, nope, L1 annd L2 are 121.xx. so i do the math on pv measured input 375v@4A = 1500W keep in mind, its not faulted so it knows the actual voltage values are fine but its just not displaying corectly. So i switch array off and 240 supply to inverter off wait a minute. Power up. All values are correct. Only thing that was different is my wife acidentally turned the heat off last night and temp dipped to 38°. So its maybe not an outdoor inverter at least not in colder climates.
For what it cost and efficiency lerformance, treat it nice and who knows, it may run for years! I certainly cant complain, it doesnt go offline at every whim like some units do. Its a real workhorse and extremely fast efficient mppt. Conversion efficiency is real good too.

How to connect, first find you tube vid on afci circuit disable, pop it apart and perform the minor surgery. If you do not, the software will occasionally be stopping the power flow and while ive no proof of this, when engineers design safety things usually the equipment safety is the last thing they worry about so if they get power shut off and save the day from a fire its a win, we dont worry if the inverter is trash afterwards. Besides its glichy, i tried it for a while and it would trip out occasionally while my arrays met the iso,ation resistance requirement with ease.

Then connect the ground to bar and the L1 N L2. 120N120 and pv1+ and pv1-
And your good to go, just make sure the polarity is right on your pv input.

Pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-144820_PDF Reader.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-144820_PDF Reader.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220103-144736_PDF Reader.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-144736_PDF Reader.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220103_150328.jpg
    20220103_150328.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 5
I have an H6 that i installed back about 2-3 months ago. Phase 1 has just been 12 250W panels hooked to one of the MPPT channels (about 420V DC OC and something like 8A SC) so a max of 3000W. I have 10A DC breaker at the array, On the AC side i have a 30A 2 pole breaker for the H6 and a 15A 2 pole breaker for a smaller 3000W ABB inverter that i also have that both combine in a sub panel and then that sub panel then is connected to a 50A 2 pole breaker. Everything thing worked just fine for months but a week or so ago the 50A and 30A (that feeds the h6) tripped i have no idea which one went 1st... which killed both inverters as the 50A feeds both...after resetting the 2 tripped breakers and trying to bring both inverters back online the ABB came back up but now the h6 seems to want to stay in off grid mode. I have had several discussion about what is the proper sized breaker/wiring for the AC side of the H6 the Manuel says 35A recommended and the quick start guide seems to say 40A. But with only a absolute max of 3000W worth of panels connected to the H6 under those conditions wouldn't a 30A breaker have been more than enough? 3000W/240V = 12.5A somehow a 30A breaker tripped The H6 is disconnected right now till i figure more of this out :)

Brandon

I have an H6 that i installed back about 2-3 months ago. Phase 1 has just been 12 250W panels hooked to one of the MPPT channels (about 420V DC OC and something like 8A SC) so a max of 3000W. I have 10A DC breaker at the array, On the AC side i have a 30A 2 pole breaker for the H6 and a 15A 2 pole breaker for a smaller 3000W ABB inverter that i also have that both combine in a sub panel and then that sub panel then is connected to a 50A 2 pole breaker. Everything thing worked just fine for months but a week or so ago the 50A and 30A (that feeds the h6) tripped i have no idea which one went 1st... which killed both inverters as the 50A feeds both...after resetting the 2 tripped breakers and trying to bring both inverters back online the ABB came back up but now the h6 seems to want to stay in off grid mode. I have had several discussion about what is the proper sized breaker/wiring for the AC side of the H6 the Manuel says 35A recommended and the quick start guide seems to say 40A. But with only a absolute max of 3000W worth of panels connected to the H6 under those conditions wouldn't a 30A breaker have been more than enough? 3000W/240V = 12.5A somehow a 30A breaker tripped The H6 is disconnected right now till i figure more of this out :)

Brandon
I would recommend a larger than 50A breaker for the sub panel. If you see it says 40A somewhere in the manual or wherever then I would use that rating of breaker or keep the inverter breaker from ever tripping for any reason other than an emergency. The inverter itself protects the AC side from producing more than 35A. 30A breaker is to small and could have tripped when the inverter was supplying power which could have possibly damaged it. Nowhere does it say it’s ok to use a smaller breaker than 35A regardless of the size of the array connected to it.

I would recommend a larger than 50A breaker for the sub panel. If you see it says 40A somewhere in the manual or wherever then I would use that rating of breaker or keep the inverter breaker from ever tripping for any reason other than an emergency. The inverter itself protects the AC side from producing more than 35A. 30A breaker is to small and could have tripped when the inverter was supplying power which could have possibly damaged it. Nowhere does it say it’s ok to use a smaller breaker than 35A regardless of the size of the array connected to it.
I guess i am finding out the hard way... hopefully its not damaged... can someone explain to me why exactly the AC breaker tripping is so bad for theses inverters? and how its different than a power outage? grid outage....im not saying i dont believe you but i still dont see how 3000W can trip a 30 amp breaker unless it was some sort of emg. short?

and how its different than a power outage?
I just realized who you are lol. It’s me RJ.
As I said to you before, a breaker tripping instantly/completely cuts off/completely stops the power flow coming out of the inverter.
A power outage would be different because the power flow coming out of the inverter is stopped by the inverter itself due to not seeing the grid due to the outage.

I just realized who you are lol. It’s me RJ.
As I said to you before, a breaker tripping instantly/completely cuts off/completely stops the power flow coming out of the inverter.
A power outage would be different because the power flow coming out of the inverter is stopped by the inverter itself due to not seeing the grid due to the outage.
lol i was kinda thinking the same thing like ive heard this b 4 lol

Back