diy solar

diy solar

Delta Pro / Smart Home Panel / Charging

GrtLks

Hello all from a newbie, both to solar/batteries AND to this site. I live in NE Ohio and decided I'd like emergency power backup in the event of power outages. I've also been intrigued by solar and whole home batteries for several years. I'll think about the solar aspect later but my home and lot are not very conducive to solar so for now it's all about battery backup. I have no electrical training/experience, so take it easy on me please!

I've purchased two Ecoflow Delta Pros and two Delta Pro Extra Batteries plus an Ecoflow Smart Home Panel (SHP). I'd like to backup the gas furnace, Internet modem and router, kitchen fridge, basement chest freezer, and a few other circuits so we can make it through (hopefully) one-to-two days on the 14KWh we'll have available, although I'm thinking of buying the extra two batteries to provide 21KWh through the system. The batteries have arrived and I'm getting familiar with them while I wait on the SHP (and accessories) to arrive. I'll need to find an electrician to install the SHP, so any leads are appreciated.

To backup the backup, I also bought a 3,000W (continuous) inverter generator, thinking I could charge from A/C port to A/C charging port to recharge the batteries to extend our grid-down backup time. However, EcoFlow advises that AC charging through the rear charging port is not accessible when the Delta Pros are plugged into the SHP. So, to extend battery backup time, I think that I can unplug one Delta Pro from the SHP at a time to charge from the generator, leaving the other to carry the load. However, I've also read about other users adding non-Ecoflow batteries to charge the Delta Pros through the DC XT60 port. The idea of being able to charge the Delta Pros this way, while they remain plugged into the SHP, sounds appealing. I'll pursue solar potential later on, but all of this is outside of any solar potential.

First question: If I just want to run the generator->charger->XT60 port, is that feasible?
Second question: Is it crazy to think about adding two 5KWh batteries (something like LifePower server battery units) that would be charged from generator->charger->added batteries, also adding overall capacity?
Third question: If I added batteries this way, would I then need a DC-to-DC charger to use those batteries to charge the Delta Pros through the XT60 port?
Last question: How to decide which charger(s) would fit in the above scenarios?

Thanks all! I'm happy to have stumbled on this site and look forward to learning.

Reactions: Tym
I bought same setup and recently had SHP installed. Couple of things. When plugged into SHP, the Lightning Cable overrides all AC. If you disconnect 1 to charge, you will lose your 240 volt connections (Well Pump etc) You might even have the app trigger a wire error and prevent your batteries from engaging the panel. You would have to disconnect both or only run on 120 when you set it up. Easiest solution is to simply install a manual transfer switch to your panel, when electrician installs smart panel, and hook your generator into it. It is possible to run the SHP (meaning circuits would run from GRID) with both batteries disconnected from panel at same time. Then and only then will traditional AC charging work. Then after charged... plug both batteries into system. Battery can only be charged from Delta Pro. It takes some getting used to but I love my system. Had worked flawlessly. Make sure you do firmware upgrades after battery fully charged. Make sure you have a solid wifi connection or bluetooth on phone. I stood in front of unit to and waited for full downloads and successful upgrades. All went flawlessly. Love em.

Thanks @PCBuyer. I'm going to set the SHP up as 120 initially because since this system is intended for emergency backup, I feel like I can live without hot water, clothes dryer and Central AC during an extended outage here. I'm going to explore solar charging for the DP units so I can at least potentially extend my backup time, but my location is pretty awful for solar, with 60 ft tree line only 25ft from the back of the house, which is the south-facing aspect. In the summer when the sun is high, I get some good sun on a back deck and on portions of the roof, but to date I have not considered solar. I need to at least explore it at this point.

Aside from solar charging, I've explored the idea of adding emergency backup time potential with two server rack batteries, maybe the 5KWh LifePower ones, one for each 'side' of the DP/SHP system, that would allow me to charge the rack batteries using a generator and then connecting them to a DC-DC converter to XT60 connector to keep the DP units charged. That would allow me to not disturb the DP units at all, from an AC/SHP circuit standpoint, but still keep the DP units charged without the vagaries of solar.

Now, getting the above set up, assuming it's not a crazy idea, is another thing, and I'm going to have to educate myself and ask plenty of questions around here to learn about what sort of inverter I'd need to feed from generator to server batteries, and then what kind of DC-DC device I'd need to go from server batteries into an XT60 connector into the DP units.

In your system, do you charge with solar or have any other means besides the grid to charge your batteries?

Couple of quick notes... Water Heater for me was easy. These new Heat Pump Systems rarely ever exceed 500 watts. Can jump up to 5,000 watts if high demand, but I set it to Hybrid or Heat Pump only and it uses less electric than my TV, Cable Box and Computer lol. I thin Feds are giving $750 rebates on those. So think about the water heater :) Negative: Each 240 appliance takes up 2 of the 10 spots available in SHP I use Generator Backup but I did run Solar Wires into Conduit when I redid my yard. Bought about 700 watts of panels to use if SHTF. Will just lay them out if really needed. Will take forever to charge the batteries... but during long summer days could be done. Generator is for winter. 6,000 watt system can charge them up, with Spares, in about 4 hours, while still running essentials in house.

All good to know and thanks. I didn't consider that 240 appliances would take two of the SHP slots. So to clarify re your generator, if grid goes down and you start to deplete your batteries, you'll plug in your generator to energize main panel circuits (using transfer switch and large plug) and then that will allow the Delta Pro units to charge as if they are on the grid, while also keeping all your circuits running?

Have you tested your generator backup to confirm that your Delta Pros will charge this way? I ask this because I bought an inverter generator to recharge the DP units in a pinch. It was a 3,000 running watts unit, and neither of the DP units would begin to charge when I plugged them into to the AC port on the generator. I'm going to try another inverter generator but was confused, since the DP units should 'see' clean power from those sockets just like they see it coming from my wall sockets in the house. Still chasing that aspect down.

Anyway, thanks much for your replies and info! Much appreciated!

It views the generator power as grid power when generator running. Charging thru lightning cables from SHP to Batteries

Not sure but in my case, since I have two DP units attached to the SHP, I can detach one of them from the SHP and connect to an inverter generator via extension cord when I need to recharge in a pinch. That way, one set runs the load while I recharge the other. Not elegant, but entirely workable.

FWIW, I've got the SHP installed and am testing a simulated outage at my house the last couple of days. My wife and I have been liberal with the use of power in the house and my 21.6KWh will likely not make 48 hours. One thing I've learned is that my gas furnace draws 600 watts when it runs, which is surprisingly thirsty for a blower and inductor motor combo as far as I can tell. It's eating almost half of all of the power used to run the ten backed up circuits. I was hoping to get at least 48 hours from 21.6KWh but we'd have to be very frugal with other power draws to make that happen.

Even so, the SHP is brilliant with the way it switches and functions with the main panel and grid. I'm very happy with the set up so far and have yet to try to add solar, which I'm going to try once we get a little more sun here.

Would a simple rectifier board work for this? Something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N1JKK1X/
My Ecoflow DP is connected to a SHP. I'm looking for a way to use a small generator during a power outage in case it's too cloudy for my solar panels to produce enough power.

Since I've only got a single DP, during an outage if I want to top off my battery via an AC generator, there'd be no power to the house. I don't see any reason why a simple rectifier setup wouldn't work. Maybe I'll purchase one for testing. I'm also thinking of adding one more solar panel. Currently using 4 Newpowa 220W panels.
Although I purchased my setup for emergencies, I've been leaving my panels outdoors and running my refrigerator and some lighting constantly off of battery power. Now I've switched my living room circuit (Wi-fi, TV, Soundbar, NAS, Blue Iris server, POE switch, lights, etc.) and a sunny day still produces enough for 24 hours of use, but if it's partially cloudy, one more solar panel would help. This way during blackouts I know I won't have any problems.

Love it. I picked up two 400W portable panels but my property is small and shaded so when I set them up in series so far I've only pulled 150W or so for limited periods during the day. Once the sun is higher that should be better and I'm looking forward to running our TV room circuit at least some of the time from battery power. The SHP is so neat about allowing easy switching.

If you have luck with a rectifier please post more here. It's not easy to find good info online from people putting these things through their paces.

Reactions: Tym
Yes, the cables that attach the Delta Pros to the Smart Home Panel are called Infinity Cables. FWIW, the cables that attach Delta Pros to their companion extra batteries are short and VERY thick, to the point of being difficult to manipulate. The Infinity cables are longer, thinner and much more pliable. I wish the extra battery cables were more like the Infinity Cables as it would make the units easier to back up closer to the rear wall.

Yes, the cables that attach the Delta Pros to the Smart Home Panel are called Infinity Cables. FWIW, the cables that attach Delta Pros to their companion extra batteries are short and VERY thick, to the point of being difficult to manipulate. The Infinity cables are longer, thinner and much more pliable. I wish the extra battery cables were more like the Infinity Cables as it would make the units easier to back up closer to the rear wall.
For anyone new to this...the battery to battery connections are using VDC where the voltage is lower (typically 48V), so the corresponding current at any particular power level is higher, requiring thicker wire. Wiring to the Smart Home Panel is VAC (typically 120V for each leg) where the voltage is higher and the corresponding current is lower (requiring smaller wire) due to the equation:

Power = Voltage X Current

Let's say we want to transfer 1800 watts of power in each wiring scenario:
1800W = 48VDC X 37.5A
1800W = 120VAC X 15A

Will there be any issue using a smart home panel if we have a main electrical panel and then a subpanel next to it? (Photo Attached) I would like to use about 6 circuits from the main panel and 4 from the subpanel in our Smart Home Panel.

Attachments

• 334747C3-D74F-42EE-A04C-D04929879B68.jpeg
    334747C3-D74F-42EE-A04C-D04929879B68.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 12
Will there be any issue using a smart home panel if we have a main electrical panel and then a subpanel next to it? (Photo Attached) I would like to use about 6 circuits from the main panel and 4 from the subpanel in our Smart Home Panel.
You're beyond my knowledge with your question. I'm not aware of any reason why you couldn't support circuits from both panels, assuming the 10 you want to back up are 110V (single phase). If backing up 240V circuits, each requires two modules on the SHP. It ought to be a matter of running wires and conduit to and from the SHP.

Last edited:
Back