diy solar

diy solar

Design of solar system

FrederikSchack

Hi

I´m new to solar, but I do have a clue about it. I want to have some professionals to install the system, but here in Uruguay professional can mean anything, so I want to be on top of every detail of it.

I´ve drawn up a system that I think will fit my purpose and would like to hear your comments on it.

I´m not 100% confident about the grounding of the solar panels. From my point of view it´s fine to use the existing grounding in the breaker panel, which is AWG 8 and about 8 meters of wire from the breaker panel and max 8 meters to the solar panels. The solar panel might end up being 2 series of 7 x JAM72S10-390-410/MR (410W/41.88V/9.79A). The inverter I´m considering has two MPP trackers, that can handle up to 12 amp at 120-550V each.

1631681093570.jpeg

Background

Hi, in Florida where I live a lot of homes with solar panels don't have grounding. Probably because the majority of houses are positioned low to the ground, and the power lines and trees are the first to get hit by lightning.

To be on the safe side, you could talk to a company that installs those rods. When I purchased solar panels in Miami for my home, I also grounded them separately just in case. If you want to do it yourself, here is an example:

Hope it helps.

Hi CJ80,

As far as I understand the Growatt inverters have an integrated RCD, but of course there´s not really any point in an RCD on the line in from the solar panels? Except for protecting the equipment from irregularities?

I don´t think I´m at any risk of lightning, we have a fence of tall trees to the south (living in the southern hemisphere, so sun is coming form the north). We also have other trees that are taller than the building at a distance.

I made the whole electrical installation in the house and for safety I put a new grounding rod besides the old one and connected the ground to both.

Back