diy solar

diy solar

Design Suggestions - please give me suggestions.

rfbuehler

I have been refining a design for a while and would appreciate suggestion or criticis.

Several directions.

I will have three SPF 5000 ES‘s being fed into an inverter sub panel. This panel will have an Autotransformer attached to it. I was thinking of using the 100A Victron autotransformer. It would we attached to the panels lugs and protection would come thru it breaker. This transformer has a neutral/ground relay that I would energize from the dry contact from the first inverter.

The inverter sub panel has (3) 50A breakers being fed by the inverters and I have a 100A breaker hooked up to my loads sub panel. This breaker has a shut trip coil that I use to shut down the system in case I loose my neutral, it’s cleaner than mounting and wiring a 100A contractor.

Now to an area of concern or question. I am planning 30kw of battery and if all is good I will be able to be 100% off grid. I want to have a smaller genset of 3-4k as a should never need scenario. What I want to do is use a 4th 5000 ES with no grid tie hooked up basically as a battery charger. If battery get below a certain level (TBD) I would auto start the genset, it would then energize the 4th ES which in turn would charge the batteries.By doing this I would not have to worry about ant transfer switching to run the genset. Here where your input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have been refining a design for a while and would appreciate suggestion or criticis.

Several directions.

I will have three SPF 5000 ES‘s being fed into an inverter sub panel. This panel will have an Autotransformer attached to it. I was thinking of using the 100A Victron autotransformer. It would we attached to the panels lugs and protection would come thru it breaker.
It is hard for me to picture what you are planning. Any chance you could provide a diagram?

This transformer has a neutral/ground relay that I would energize from the dry contact from the first inverter.
WARNING: Growatt has discontinued support for the dry contact. The latest firmware does not even have the option for dry contact control. If you upgrade an older version of the system with the new firmware, the feature is turned off with no way to turn it on.

1640380341942.png

Something to check on with the Victron auto transformer - I think it allows 100a pass through- but only 32a of changing phase. I don’t really know that much about that piece of equipment- but I had that thought when I was reading what your plans are( if I understand them correctly) and I could be wrong too.

That's why I am bouncing this off of others. There is NOT a whole lot on the Victron AT. I originally was going to put (2) SEAUTO AT's in but as I always like to keep things simple I thought if the Victron has more capacity use one instead of two. If it's only 100A pass thru using the same xformer then why market a second one 32A and 100A.

And back to the previous post. Is there some changelog available so that changes like the dry contact no longer being used can be identified other than when a firmware update is flashed the systems stop working. (Sort of like Microsoft Patches).

And back to the previous post. Is there some changelog available so that changes like the dry contact no longer being used can be identified other than when a firmware update is flashed the systems stop working. (Sort of like Microsoft Patches).
I wish!!!! It was like pulling teeth to get a clear explanation from Growatt when the option disappeared.

Back