diy solar

diy solar

Designing a system that can grow

frigidicinal

Good day all

I am wanting to DIY a solar system to grid tie but want to be able to grow the system over time, adding panels as I can afford them. I am not interested in a fully off-grid system but would like to supplement/reduce our grid use and provide a backup for unplanned events. I haven't given a lot of thought to batteries or storage.

A bit about our location. We live in rural northeast Oklahoma on a few acres. We have fantastic southern exposure and plenty of space to build a rack for the panels.

So, basically, I am looking for information about what components and information I need to investigate and compile to build a system that meets our needs and can be grown.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Brian

If you don't have a clear long term goal in terms of size it is easy to add panels and micro inverters a few at a time. Later these can be AC coupled to a hybrid battery inverter so you can use that capacity to charge batteries. Invest in some tools to measure consumption and generation and use that data to form a long term plan.

Hi there, I live in Oklahoma City and have basically the exact same questions! I only have a certain amount to spend but need backup for emergency use especially.

I only have a certain amount to spend but need backup for emergency use especially
Then you could use a 12 volt battery, a 12 volt inverter and an extension cord. The size of the inverter will depend on the devices you want to use. If one of those is a refrigerator, you need to account for start up Amps. An inexpensive generator might be less expensive in the short term. Either of those might not be a system that will grow but might fit your budget.

Good day all

I am wanting to DIY a solar system to grid tie but want to be able to grow the system over time, adding panels as I can afford them. I am not interested in a fully off-grid system but would like to supplement/reduce our grid use and provide a backup for unplanned events. I haven't given a lot of thought to batteries or storage.

A bit about our location. We live in rural northeast Oklahoma on a few acres. We have fantastic southern exposure and plenty of space to build a rack for the panels.

So, basically, I am looking for information about what components and information I need to investigate and compile to build a system that meets our needs and can be grown.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Brian

For the statement about '...would like to supplement/reduce our grid use and provide a backup for unplanned events' ...that would mean you would want to have batteries, so you will need to study about systems which involve batteries.

And since you want grid-tie, you will need to have an inverter that is capable of backfeeding power to the grid, and in the USA that means it must be UL Listed, and comply with NEC standards (UL 1741 and Rule 21, etc)... This will bump up the prices by a decent amount.

For expandability you would want inverters that can be parallel stacked so later you can add more inverters in tandem which also gets you more PV inputs to add more solar panels.

You might need an inverter like the Sol-Ark 12k for example, to meet these needs, which are kinda spendy.

Unfortunately, when you want batteries (for backup), grid-tie/backfeeding, expandability, and be code compliant, etc, then the prices start to go up sharply.

Or one could phase the build out of the system. For example start with a grid tie system and later AC couple it to a hybrid like the SolArk or others.

Back