diy solar

diy solar

Devastating fire

Do not know if there is any connection between the two thing.
The recalled batteries are cells used for home, ev and utility use,

The op's photo, assumed caused by the Blueti ac100, the Chevy Bolt, Kona ev the Arizona battery fires..... have nothing in common except lithium polymer cells made by the same company

edit to include links

edit 10 hrs later- referring to the indigogo funding page for the Bluetti AC200P -LG EV-grade Cell
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bluetti-ac200-most-versatile-solar-power-station#/

Last edited:
I suspect this to be a LiPo fire
@Will Prowse can you put this thread to the new Up in smoke topic please :)

They have good ideas dealing with LiPo batteries. The charging bunker is good, but the best is the sandbag on top of it.
If ... sorry When the battery goes into thermal runaway it melts the sandbag's plastic and sand is pouring in top of the battery.

Well. that basically acts like an automatic fire extinguisher.. snuffs out any fire..

4 100w panels mounted 50' away from cabin. Nothing at all connected to bluetti.
Am checking on overcharge protection, I believe so, but manual was burned.

Nothing, especially no PV panels, connected to Bluetti seems helpful to your case.

If you had fire insurance on the cabin and nothing improper on your part, seems like you should be covered. The insurance company would try to go after the responsible party but that is for their benefit not yours. Might help if loss exceeded coverage.

Most important of course is no injury. Did you see the incident, or only the aftermath?

Pics of Bluetti AC 100. Bluetti contacted me. May send investigator. Have sent pics. My insurance investigator looked at it.

Pics of Bluetti AC 100. Bluetti contacted me. May send investigator. Have sent pics. My insurance investigator looked at it.
Be careful with the investigator. Who knows if he is only looking to find any way to shed bluetti of liability. I'm not saying conceal anything, just don't let him put any words in your mouth or reinterpret what you say.

Be careful with the investigator. Who knows if he is only looking to find any way to shed bluetti of liability. I'm not saying conceal anything, just don't let him put any words in your mouth or reinterpret what you say.
I wouldn't let the bluetti guy in the front door... no way, no how..

He's not coming there to help you, he's coming to cover his rear and put blame on you... tell him to go home and that, for a fee, you'll send the unit to them AFTER your insurance settles..

If he was really trying to figure out what went wrong, he'll pay the fee..
If he was really trying to help you, he'll pay the fee..

How much you want to bet he won't pay the fee?

Thank you

I wouldn't let the bluetti guy in the front door... no way, no how..

He's not coming there to help you, he's coming to cover his rear and put blame on you... tell him to go home and that, for a fee, you'll send the unit to them AFTER your insurance settles..

If he was really trying to figure out what went wrong, he'll pay the fee..
If he was really trying to help you, he'll pay the fee..

How much you want to bet he won't pay the fee?
Yikes. What kind of fee? Fortunately I've not had to deal with people like this ever and am really naive in the ways of the world beyond my rural farm. I guess I'll just take what the insurance co offers and get this done. Thanks for common sense advice

Yikes. What kind of fee? Fortunately I've not had to deal with people like this ever and am really naive in the ways of the world beyond my rural farm. I guess I'll just take what the insurance co offers and get this done. Thanks for common sense advice

The fee should be just enough to cover your time and effort to box it up, make sure its safe, and send it to them.. You're not trying to make a profit on the guy, but you absolutely don't want him to have eyes on the device before you settle with the insurance....

The guy probably has two goals in mind.. 1) see if he can blame it on you 2) if #1 fails, find out what when wrong to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else.

Neither 1 or 2 benefit you.. and #1 is actually dangerous to you.

He wants to see that device.... he wants to know what went wrong.. Another option: You could tell him that once the insurance company settles, he's welcome to come check it out but he needs to bring you a replacement.. and it better not be the same make or model.. You could drop a few hints about Amazon reviews showing photos of the fire or forum threads like this one. This thread is kryptonite to these companies..

I hope we will get the final outcome when it is all done, and if it is Blueti fault I wonder if they will issue safety recall, or may be consumer safety agency has to be notified.

The fee should be just enough to cover your time and effort to box it up, make sure its safe, and send it to them.. You're not trying to make a profit on the guy, but you absolutely don't want him to have eyes on the device before you settle with the insurance....

The guy probably has two goals in mind.. 1) see if he can blame it on you 2) if #1 fails, find out what when wrong to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else.

Neither 1 or 2 benefit you.. and #1 is actually dangerous to you.

He wants to see that device.... he wants to know what went wrong.. Another option: You could tell him that once the insurance company settles, he's welcome to come check it out but he needs to bring you a replacement.. and it better not be the same make or model.. You could drop a few hints about Amazon reviews showing photos of the fire or forum threads like this one. This thread is kryptonite to these companies..
Odds are Bluetti already knows what went wrong, and that's why the model was discontinued.

Odds are Bluetti already knows what went wrong, and that's why the model was discontinued.

LiPo battery, that went wrong. Not a question of if ... but when it will burn

And yes the Bluetti guy's only reason to go is to find something to blame the owner for the fire.
Not because the insurance and money (they even can offer money to sign an NDA)
Because this can reach the news: Solar generator burned down a house in ....
And that would hit them.

Back