diy solar

diy solar

Developing Software

erik.calco

Solar Badger
I've been programming my whole life, and integrate it into other professions and hobbies (e.g., I'm a trader in equities and futures markets, so I created a trading system.) Anyone else like to write code or create apps, systems, middleware, IoT, etc,...?

@CheezWiz You ever think about writing code related to solar?

It is something I'd like to explore at some point. I created a cloud data collection service in 2017 ideal for IoTs (microservice using Java and CrateDB), but haven't put it online, yet. I'd like to standardize data collection for solar, and have one universal way to build the ultimate UI for it.

My priority right now is getting a new trading system online. It will be FREE!

Last edited:
I actually made it to my Senior year in Computer Science focusing on scientific applications but then life got in the way. I went back later and did a multidisciplinary studies degree combining my CSc course work with Organizational management for an IT Management degree. I loved C and C++ and assembly the most. I also have an associate's degree in electrical engineering with a focus on microprocessor design. I always wanted to be artistic but never had any talent. Then one of my programming professors told me my code was the most artistic he had encountered and I realized I did have a creative outlet. But again life got in the way. My only programming now is Windows shell and some power shell. I manage our OS and application packaging and deployment via SCCM, as well as AD group policy and PowerBroker implementation. I'm also a lab manager for the PC side of the house at a higher ed institution.
But yes, I'm constantly thinking about leveraging an Arduino or Raspberry Pi against some solar stuff. Lol I have way too may 1/10th. finished projects in my life!

I loved C and C++ and assembly the most.

You recapped the 80s for me lol....

BASIC.... then C, then machine code, then Assembly, then C++...
other stuff too, like Pascal, but those were my core 80s.
I'll never forget how happy I was when I unwrapped Borland C++ 2.0 for Christmas! lol

I didn't need college for programming, so got a BBA with major in Info Sys. I was already a full time independent consultant and needed more business... plus, I love business, too.

Learned some languages in college, though, like Cobal and Fortran. Only took an hour to learn Fortran cuz it is basically BASIC. lol Never used either of those in professional world because I decided to commit to PC world, at the time. client/server.

You also summed up what I've said a million times. Developers love programming because it is a creative outlet. We are artists who can't draw.

@CheezWiz oh, and btw, we need to get you into Linux... The PI will be a challenge for you if you aren't comfortable with Linux. In 90s, btw, I was a "Microsoft Consultant"... C/C++/Visual Foxpro/VB/COM/IIS/SQL Server. Used Windows every day of my life (since Win3.1) just about until 2016. Booted into Windows once since then. Have not missed it at all.

EDIT: Just remembered, I bought a used laptop on Craigslist last year solely for my planned solar installation lol. So did use window while testing that and trying to resolve problems that had no solution... but it works and I'll likely use it to run MPP Solar's software.

BASIC then machine code for me. I did quite a things with Z80s. I have more languages floating around my head now than I care to know about and they all bleed into each other. Why doesn't that compile? Why doesn't it work like it should? OH. Mixed in some of a and some of b there. With the rise of CPU horsepower and plummeting prices scripting languages are good enough for an awful lot these days. Primarily I live in the perl / c / go world now.

Windows sucks Linux all the way. I learned PASCAL in high school. Didn't program for 25 years then picked up python. Borland brings back memories like wordstar and turbo pascal lol way before WYSIYG formatting.

Linux is what kept my OS knowledge relevant - I was a shell-script/perl/C on Unix guy originally. Have done some C++/Java on Linux. Lots of different DBs over the years. Picked up PHP a decade or so ago over a weekend for a project at a startup. To me, once you understand programming concepts it's all just a different syntax to express yourself.

I did quite a things with Z80s.
Zilog!!!! lol

I do miss the simplicity of 8-bit. I did a lot of 8080 assembly on the first "portable" computer ... the Osborne 1... before DOS, before laptops. 300 baud modem. How many 300 baud modems equals a gigabit connection? lol

I think the Timex Sinclair 1000... the world's first $100 computer, had a Z80 in it. It is what I learned machine code on. I'll see if I can find and get a photo of the book. That is one of the most nostalgia books I have. I could never throw it away.

That started because of 3 keywords on the keyboard that drove me nuts not knowing what they did: POKE, PEEK and USR.

Last edited:
Could not find the TS1000 machine code book :(... but here is a Borland book that I think came with that Borland C++ 2.0 package...
and... for you old farts out there, a 1957 Websters!!! WAY WAY WAY before I was born lol. Had to of gotten from my dad's childhood book collection.

1573912236510.png

@gnubie @Bob142 I have your 1997 Perl books right here:

1573912747527.png

Back when CGI-BIN was a thing. ;P

Last edited:
I still have a couple of original IBM CP/M in their shrinkwrap. Geez, I started at Control Data Corp as board level then went to software eng from hardware and ended up in networking an enterprise infrastructure eng. more certs & diplomas to cover a wall with...

I'm playing with Raspi, Node Red, Grafana, InfluxDB. Have MODBUS working to my Classic 200 controller, will have Modbus done for my Samlex (I have the Modbus tables from them, not public, (plz don't ask, I have it with an NDA). Would love to incorporate IoT Devices like Samsung Smart Plugs (with power monitoring) which is not going well. IoT devices need internet (even Hass.io) and because I am offgrid, the satellite is only ON when I want web access, otherwise no web and I need devices that will work without Internet. ruckus stuckus frickus fruckus

I still have a couple of original IBM CP/M in their shrinkwrap.

Please please share photo! That is super cool. Osborne I had CP/M and the Z80, though used 8080 assembler.

I have nothing left but memories of Ozzy; but only because floppy disks can't hold magnetivity forever. Otherwise, the Osborne I could easily out live us.

Back