diy solar

diy solar

Deye 8kw generator input

Slvrsky07

Hello, I have a deye 8kw hybrid inverter being used as off grid only. I was wondering about the generator input feature of the inverter. I have 2 generators, one 120v Honda 3500w inverter generator which in the past I’d use for all 120v appliances. I also have a 4500watt 240v split phase non-inverter generator I’d only use for my well pump when needed since I have had issues with non-inverter generators messing up electronics in the past.

My question, can I use the 240v non-inverter generator as the grid input on the deye inverter and will the deye inverter help filter the electricity from the generator? Or does it just pass the voltage to the output?

Thanks for the help!

It actually does a little of both.
Not necessarily filtering. But, it blends it with the solar output. Which could help clean the power up.

So would it essentially make that generator more like a inverter generator, making it safer for electronics? I am hoping to not have to use the smaller generator anymore if that’s the case. I’d like to only have to use my batteries with the Deye and the larger generator for backup.

That would depend on how dirty the power is from the generator. It will definitely help some. If nothing else, it will charge the battery, and get you back to running from battery. Another option would be to plug a battery charger into the generator directly.

Reactions: Rho
I guess I’m not quite sure if/ how much the electricity is dirty on that generator, I guess I could hook my oscilloscope to see. I’m just a little “gun shy” about using a non inverter generator on expensive electronics.

I guess I’m not quite sure if/ how much the electricity is dirty on that generator, I guess I could hook my oscilloscope to see. I’m just a little “gun shy” about using a non inverter generator on expensive electronics.
All that you can do is try.
Side note,
If there's no solar, it will be just a direct pass-through.

I think I might end up using my 120v inverter generator with an autotransformer to get the 240v split phase. Do you see any issues with going that route?

I think I might end up using my 120v inverter generator with an autotransformer to get the 240v split phase. Do you see any issues with going that route?
That would be fine.
Just remember that wattage is wattage, no matter what the voltage. (Minus efficiency loses)

It could be that you generator does produce clean electricity and that your previous experience was based on fuel or carb issues with the generator surging causing voltage highs and lows. The same thing can happen when it runs out of fuel and under load

Back