diy solar

diy solar

Deye 8kW specifications

My plan is for a 30kWh battery bank
Been there, done that. And if you are planning on going for the DIY route:
* I advice you to buy from Docan or Quishou. You can buy from Alibaba and they *will* ship it to you (or to a Manila warehouse).
* Likewise, I strongly recommend getting Seplos Mason for the case and BMS. There is no guesswork needed in building with this case and it is stackable as well. 32Cells and 2 cases would cost around $6K~$6.5K (include shipping fee. Take my example: I did DIY and shove everything in a cabinet; I ended up spending more for the "other stuffs" that are already included with Mason case.
*Another option is buying prebuilt branded batteries. They cost P75K for a 100AH pack. You'd need 6 and would be around $8K though... but it comes with warranty.

Also find a suitable place in your house that is well ventilated and cool.

Been there, done that. And if you are planning on going for the DIY route:
* I advice you to buy from Docan or Quishou. You can buy from Alibaba and they *will* ship it to you (or to a Manila warehouse).
* Likewise, I strongly recommend getting Seplos Mason for the case and BMS. There is no guesswork needed in building with this case and it is stackable as well. 32Cells and 2 cases would cost around $6K~$6.5K (include shipping fee. Take my example: I did DIY and shove everything in a cabinet; I ended up spending more for the "other stuffs" that are already included with Mason case.
*Another option is buying prebuilt branded batteries. They cost P75K for a 100AH pack. You'd need 6 and would be around $8K though... but it comes with warranty.

Also find a suitable place in your house that is well ventilated and cool.
Neither Docan nor Quishou have EVE cells at the moment, only CATL. I asked Docan about certificates for their grade A cells and they cannot provide (unlike Amy at Luyuan Tech). Luyuan has EVE cells but the grade A are very expensive. Anyway, regardless of the supplier, my plan was to have the Chinese supplier ship to one of my balikbayan box providers' warehouse in China, who would then forward to me dodging Philippines VAT and duty. Apparently it cannot be done at the moment because of a crackdown of the Chinese authorities on "dangerous goods" in their ports... wait and see.

When you ordered from China, did you have the supplier arrange freight on his side? Were you hit with Philippines VAT and duty for your order?

For the cases / BMS, I want to build a 2p16s configuration with a single BMS. Luyuan Tech is selling $126 bare cases that can hold sixteen 280Ah cells each. So I could do 2p8s in each case and wire the two cases in series with the BMS installed in the first one. Either that or I can get my carpenter to build me one or two boxes with plywood.

Last edited:
When you ordered from China, did you have the supplier arrange freight on his side? Were you hit with Philippines VAT and duty for your order?
I ordered via a friend (an importer) in Manila.

VAT? No.
For the cases / BMS, I want to build a 2p16s configuration with a single BMS. Luyuan Tech is selling $126 bare cases that can hold sixteen 280Ah cells each. So I could do 2p8s in each case and wire the two cases in series with the BMS installed in the first one. Either that or I can get my carpenter to build me one or two boxes with plywood.
Do not use a single BMS to handle 2 packs.
1 Case = 1 battery. 2 Cases = 2 batteries. Connect in parallel.
This way, you can easily expand later on by adding in parallel another battery.
$126 for a case is CHEAP. Hiring a carpenter + material might cost you more for less.
I once asked a local metal fabricator and they quoted me P15K for a single metal box.

After DIYing 2 batteries, I honestly wont be doing any DIY Battery anymore. All the GradeB drama and no warranty is not worth it.
However, I'd like to point out that it is almost impossible to claim warranty on batteries sold by dealers; there are too many variables the dealers can throw against you to void warranty. One of which "not installed by authorized personnel" or something similar.

Last edited:
Service Voltage in PH is very localized indeed. Some parts it is 240V, while others its 220V
In Manila it is split phase L1,L2,N. In other parts it is L-N, while others it is L1-L2.
Keep this in mind. You do not want to wire up the GRID's L to Deye's PE terminal.

An OffGrid setup then. You will need hefty battery bank. From late afternoon to early morning (4PM to 8AM), you do not have enough SUN to harvest. You will need to have battery capable of supplying you for this duration, OR be conservative/mindful with your power consumption. Taking hot shower (consumes ~2KW) greatly tax your battery bank. I highly suggests that you replace all non-inverter appliances such as AirConditioners, Washing Machine, Refrigerators. By doing so, you greatly reduce your battery requirement: 10KWH battery packs costs ~P200K in Philippines. This translates to ~P20 per 1WH. If you can reduce load by 1KW, you can save P20,000 in battery costs; and since this is offgrid setup, you should x14 (at least) to cover 4PM to 8AM. THIS (battery) saving should be enough to entice you to replace your power hungry appliances.

I have a 560AH battery bank and my 750W night load consumes about 10% every 4 hours. If I were to use power hungry AC, I will deplete my battery 20% every 4 hours.

Likewise, A 1HP motor consumes as much as 2000W during start up. You should keep in mind that Deye 8KW will not truly power up 8000 watts of load especially inductive motor loads. You will need to keep a healthy margin to prevent croaking. Watch

You will need an ATS to automatically switch from one power source to another.
How often is power outage in your area? Is this multiple occurances a day?
Do keep in mind, ATS are rated for a few thousand strikes only. Putting your house on the "LOAD" Terminal eliminates ATS need.

Finally, you will also want to charge your batteries from GRID when your battery gets depleted at night. THIS can reduce your battery bank size. You can achieve this using Time of Use system (other inverters do not have this). Something like this:
View attachment 106455
If your battery falls below 50% capacity from 1AM to 5AM, Deye will Grid Charge them to 50%. No need to grid charge to 100% as it will be morning soon and you only want enough power until Sun goes up.
The exact time, battery capacity will greatly depend on your experience - you will be tweaking this as you go along for a period of time.

You made the right choice getting DEYE. It will serve your requirement nicely!

PS. A few days ago, it was rainy and cloudy it barely charged up my batteries. I managed to harvest about 2kwh a day for 2 days. Keep this in mind. You will want more Solar Panels and Grid Charging on specific time to get you through.
He is in the Phillipines with single phase 230V so a 120V test is not applicable

Back