diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

solardad

Solar Enthusiast
So for the past year or so I have research the Sol-Ark and it's relative, Sunsynk. From everything I read they are based on a class of DEYE inverters, essentially a rebranding with exclusive licensing since they are not sold/available in each other's countries. After many months of research and trying to import a Sunsynk (due to being 30% cheaper) I decided to purchase a Sol-Ark 12k 6 months ago and have been impressed by the performance.

Today I learned that there is a distributor in the US for the DEYE version at almost 50% cheaper than the Sol-Ark, it is basically in line with pricing of the Sunsynk (which is only available in SA). $3500

https://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/7kw-ul-approved-dc-to-ac-power-hybrid-inverter

Specs are similar to the Sol-Ark 8kw, in addition they also offer a smaller version, 5kw for $2900.

Here is the manual for the 7.6 & 5kw.

In short if these were available at the time I ordered mine I would be going with these instead.

That is impressive. So it does everything but sell power back to the utility. Pretty cool.

Haven't actually watched this (2 hours long)

And Sunsynk website has the manuals (under tech support and downloads)

(better manuals than Deye website, but since they're essentially the same thing...)

That's interesting @solardad.
It's too late for me as well. My 12k with EMP protection is already on order.

Ay least we're not stuck with an Enphase system ?.

That's interesting @solardad.
It's too late for me as well. My 12k with EMP protection is already on order.

Ay least we're not stuck with an Enphase system ?.
Yeah. I have slight buyer's remorse given the amount of upfront research I did and was aware pretty earlier that these versions are pretty much the same inverter functionality and options outside of cases and menu tweaks - no one was willing to ship one to the US (Sunsynk ver). I would've loved the 5kw version and spent the 'savings' on more panels and batteries to get me through the winter months better.

Haven't actually watched this (2 hours long)

And Sunsynk website has the manuals (under tech support and downloads)

(better manuals than Deye website, but since they're essentially the same thing...)

Thanks for posting.

I plan on finding a couple of hours to get my nerd on and watch it.

Yeah. I have slight buyer's remorse given the amount of upfront research I did and was aware pretty earlier that these versions are pretty much the same inverter functionality and options outside of cases and menu tweaks - no one was willing to ship one to the US (Sunsynk ver). I would've loved the 5kw version and spent the 'savings' on more panels and batteries to get me through the winter months better.
I have no regrets. I am having nearly 8kW of panels installed, so I would not want to start so close to the capacity of the system. I want room to expand later when I have an electric car to charge as well.
The cost of an 8k + the 5k is about what the 12k is for SolArk and I am having the EMP hardening added. I think that is value added engineering that SolArk is doing. The savings isn't enough to buy more than a panel with cables and mounting.

@Haugen On average 98% of our home electrical load is between .7k to 2.5kw at any one time. The 2% can shoot up to 9kw but that is usually in the summer when we have the pool pump & acs going and then a load of laundry and cookies are cooking in the oven. So long story short the 12k is nice to have to cover those peaks but after reviewing a years worth of data it is eye opening what our actual usage is the majority of the time.

Service is one thing that is unknown with the DEYE, Sol-Ark has been great with assistance when I needed them to answer questions.

Are DEYE made in the US?

This is from the SolArk site:

About Sol-Ark

Sol-Ark is an American-Made, U.S Department of Energy Solar 2020 Semi-Finalist Winner, veteran-owned and engineering firm based in Parker, Texas.

I guess that doesn't really say that the hardware is made in the US. :oops:

Here's the claim:
"We design our own patent pending electronics and systems that are tested on automated test stations. The Sol-Ark system was named “The most well thought out solar generator on the market” in 2016."
Here's the source:

From what I see on the ECPC site, the 5 kW & 7.6 kW systems have a 5 year warranty. Their 8 kW system has a 10 year warranty & is $4210. I haven't purchased a sol-ark yet but the 12k is still in the running. A distributor gave me their installer price point which makes it competitive if they actually sell me one at that price to a diy'er. The sol-ark support and parts availabilty would be worth a modest premium.

From what I see on the ECPC site, the 5 kW & 7.6 kW systems have a 5 year warranty. Their 8 kW system has a 10 year warranty & is $4210. I haven't purchased a sol-ark yet but the 12k is still in the running. A distributor gave me their installer price point which makes it competitive if they actually sell me one at that price to a diy'er. The sol-ark support and parts availabilty would be worth a modest premium.
I'd be curious if the price he is offering puts it in line with the DEYE / SunSynk.

The distributor's 12k installer price was under $5550. The sol-ark 12k at that price has a lower cost per "spec'd" watt than the 8kW gray market deyes/sunsynks. Even the full retail price of the 12k has a cost per watt only slightly higher than the 8kw deyes. Of course it all depends on each person's application. The 8k is too small for the project I want to install, but if a Deye 12kW was available I would certainly take a serious look into it. For a larger installation an 8k Deye with a 10 year warranty and a 5k connected together (or two 7.6 kw units) would be an option but the price per watt isn't competitive enough to sway me in that direction.

The distributor's 12k installer price was under $5550. The sol-ark 12k at that price has a lower cost per "spec'd" watt than the 8kW gray market deyes/sunsynks. Even the full retail price of the 12k has a cost per watt only slightly higher than the 8kw deyes. Of course it all depends on each person's application. The 8k is too small for the project I want to install, but if a Deye 12kW was available I would certainly take a serious look into it. For a larger installation an 8k Deye with a 10 year warranty and a 5k connected together (or two 7.6 kw units) would be an option but the price per watt isn't competitive enough to sway me in that direction.
Not sure I would use the gray market term in the case. I would say the Sol-Ark and SunSynk are rebranded products of the DEYE version (which would be the white label). This relationship is well documented in other forums.

Great price / savings that he is willing to pass along. Nice find.

True that gray market is an incorrect classification. But no branding at all, along with no pics of the units and no branding on the manuals raises a few questions from my perspective.

I also notice there is an ebay seller out of Miami selling the 8kW Deye's too. Maybe they will be more prevalent soon and put pricing pressure on all the hybrid inverters.

Last edited:
When shopping Alibaba for "Deye" inverters I found that sellers will not ship to the US as Deye is protecting Sol-Ark. If you badger the seller a few times they will say ok I will sell to you, But "don't tell where you purchased from or we will get in trouble". That sounds pretty grey to me. I won't tell who they are though:cool:

True that gray market is an incorrect classification. But no branding at all, along with no pics of the units and no branding on the manuals raises a few questions from my perspective.

I also notice there is an ebay seller out of Miami selling the 8kW Deye's too. Maybe they will be more prevalent soon and put pricing pressure on all the hybrid inverters.
I think the lack of images etc is a reflection not of DEYE but the reseller. There DEYE website has plenty of specs. Etc.. but yeah I would say the US reseller could do a better job listing the product.

Back