diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

One Clarification, one kind Gent did confirm his Sol-Ark system "Producing" over 8KW on his User Screen however his system was in Grid-Tied mode and I believe he also said it was only for a short period of time.

Unfortunately for me I can only test mine in Off Grid mode currently and there are reasons to believe that which mode it's operating in can definitely effect the results. I had my unit in Grid-Tied mode for while and babied it 80% of the time because I figured I had 6 months to a year before deciding whether not to take it Off -Grid, but I was wrong.

When I did start slowly testing it out in Grid Mode it was still only for relatively brief periods, however I did start noticing things which led me to question if whenever it was close to 8 - 9KW range it was just pulling Power from the Grid even while receiving a solid 12KW from PV input . If that's the case, and the brilliant people on here don't have some obvious reason why this won't matter when it's in Off-Grid mode then I need to at least re-vamp the #'s/Calculations and potential solutions taking that into account.

While Hoping that someone on here could just quickly CONFIRM Real World results and point out what kind of dumbass error I must be making with my system.

The one remaining straw I see to grasp and possibly attribute it to operator error is addressed here:

Have you determined if one phase is putting out over 4800W, such that an auto-transformer to balance the load might be all that's needed?
A clamp AC ammeter should show that (if power or current of individual phases isn't available as status from the unit.)

One Clarification, one kind Gent did confirm his Sol-Ark system "Producing" over 8KW on his User Screen however his system was in Grid-Tied mode and I believe he also said it was only for a short period of time.

Unfortunately for me I can only test mine in Off Grid mode currently and there are reasons to believe that which mode it's operating in can definitely effect the results. I had my unit in Grid-Tied mode for while and babied it 80% of the time because I figured I had 6 months to a year before deciding whether not to take it Off -Grid, but I was wrong.

When I did start slowly testing it out in Grid Mode it was still only for relatively brief periods, however I did start noticing things which led me to question if whenever it was close to 8 - 9KW range it was just pulling Power from the Grid even while receiving a solid 12KW from PV input . If that's the case, and the brilliant people on here don't have some obvious reason why this won't matter when it's in Off-Grid mode then I need to at least re-vamp the #'s/Calculations and potential solutions taking that into account.
My take on this is that new outdoor version of Sol-Ark 12K was taken to the UL for certification, it was tested with a resistive load 240V to 9KW. The real world loads are different, phase imbalance, capacitive or inductive loads which can give you wrong readings unless you use sophisticated algorithms to get the real value, it can be PWM for example a 1KW 20% PWM load has spikes of 5KW.
The test I did was Off-Grid and I tried mostly resistive loads, lights, refrigerators, split unit AC, and oven been the main load, there was a small phase imbalance, the Sol-Ark went to 8.4KW for a few minutes, no shut off.
When the Sol-Ark shuts down with less than 8KW what do you do? Try doing this test with one or two ovens at 240V most likely the Sol-Ark will reach close to 9KW without shut off.

....., one kind Gent did confirm his Sol-Ark system "Producing" over 8KW
That may just be the internal inverter capacity. If one connects AC coupled solar the total throughput is greater, Hence the 12 kW nomenclature. I think the breaker is 50 Amps which would imply 12 kW.

My take on this is that new outdoor version of Sol-Ark 12K was taken to the UL for certification, it was tested with a resistive load 240V to 9KW. The real world loads are different, phase imbalance, capacitive or inductive loads which can give you wrong readings unless you use sophisticated algorithms to get the real value, it can be PWM for example a 1KW 20% PWM load has spikes of 5KW.
The test I did was Off-Grid and I tried mostly resistive loads, lights, refrigerators, split unit AC, and oven been the main load, there was a small phase imbalance, the Sol-Ark went to 8.4KW for a few minutes, no shut off.
When the Sol-Ark shuts down with less than 8KW what do you do? Try doing this test with one or two ovens at 240V most likely the Sol-Ark will reach close to 9KW without shut off.
Refrigerators and AC are not resistive loads, or did I misunderstand what you wrote there?

I am in the process of installing a Solark on my home and I have a lot of respect for Solark.
I could have bought a Deye but didn't give it much thought.
It says a lot for you to come here and make a statement.

Hope to see people from Solark around here again
It would say a lot more if SolArk remained engaged on this forum and answered the issues that people have been posting about. Waving the flag is fine. Transitioning to US production is great. Listening to the issues people are posting and providing thoughtful and useful responses would be even better. What better source is there for customer experience and installer questions and issues is there? SolArk's closed systems? Nah. Developers like open source software and github for a reason. Notice I didn't write "free software". Having the questions and answers out in the open is valuable.

Refrigerators and AC are not resistive loads, or did I misunderstand what you wrote there?

If you test SolArk with an entirely resistive load, balanced across both phases (e.g. electric oven on 240V), then it ought be be able to deliver 9000W which will also be 9000VA.
If your load is imbalanced between phases, or if it drives loads like motors, it should be expected to shut down somewhere lower than 9000W.

Yes, refrigerators and AC split unit are not resistive, total load on those in my test was a bit over 1 KW the majority of the load were the stove with everything on and the lights, notice I stayed at 8.4 KW with the Sol-Ark not shutting down. The real world scenario is different and that is why most of guys that they did a similar test had the Sol-Ark shut down between 7 and 8 KW, I think the marketing at Sol-Ark got over confident by raising the off-grid output in the new version from 8K to 9K. IMHO in real it is a 8KW inverter at best.

What is the difference between the Deye 7.6kw and Deye 8kw?

Is one of them a newer model/design?

7.6KW/SUN-7.6K-SG01LP1
8KW/SUN-8K-SG01LP1

I see that both units are available on Alibaba, but only the 7.6KW is listed on their website.

Thank you to everyone who responded/commented and my apologies for mischaracterizing Ted's Load Test as though it was while his system was Grid-Tied.

I would love to test my system with only 240V loads and determine its actual real world capacity, however since it's only allowed to power loads on the "Critical Loads" which only includes one 240V load/the well pump.

As best as I can tell at this point there are basically 2 options on how to proceed from here:

1. Take this location fully "Off-Grid", possible but very expensive because of a few particular loads that are also difficult to replace/change out effectively.

2. Continue operating the Sol-Ark in "Off-Grid" mode only, this includes leaving the Visually confirmed Safety Switch/Disconnect locked.

After reviewing the Interconnection Agreement(s) and associated fees/charges along with the amt paid for excess power exported to Grid, it appears that if some of the present Loads on the "Critical Loads" panel were swapped out in a new bigger "Critical Loads" Panel "Could" be part of an acceptable overall solution in this particular situation.

From a financial return perspective the amt actually "saved" via Interconnection/Grid-Tie operation vs operating in "Off-Grid" only powering certain designated loads are nearly Identical, not to mention this route does not require handing over the keys/power button to this system over to ERCOT and/or whoever else they designate which is very close to a Non-Starter for me.

I realize there are also limitations with going this route and do not expect to power even close to "Everything", but wading through exactly what the Limitations are is difficult/can be confusing to a non-expert. Basically I don't think it's a problem to go from a 6 space/circuit critical Loads panel to a 10 space/circuit critical loads panel.

This is worth considering, but certainly not what I wanted as it will be limited to a relatively few Loads which also means much of my 13KW+ PV generation will end up being wasted. (Side Note: I have also wondered if maxing out the PV going to the Sol-Ark could be part or even all of the reason it was shutting down significantly below 9KW in the 7KW- 7.8KW range because of the Frequency shifting putting some strain on the Inverter)

However, if there is a solution involving either a Critical Loads panel with some type of minimal Transfer Switch capability or some type of Smart Panel which would allow for at least some minimal amount of Choice/Selection of Loads to power then this route would be a No Brainer. Basically if I could occasionally power just one more Load that could still also be powered by Grid sometimes. I am not sure this Solution exists for this particular situation as my "general understanding" is that only Loads which are "Isolated" can be powered via "Critical Loads panel set-ups. I'm guessing there are numerous ways to "Isolate" Loads, that meani different things to different people and with different results/consequences.

In particular I have come across examples of where people are using "multi- circuit" Transfer Switches. I also looked at the Generac PWRcell ATS which is supposedly allowed to connect to the whole home power panel during an Outage because it can "manage the Loads". Interestingly the Generac PWRcell specs seem to be curiously similar to the Sol-Ark's other than the Generac has an ATS which is a stand alone piece of equipment rather than an internal one as with the Sol-Ark.

Pigeon-Holed with a $40,000 system that runs about 5Kwhr loads per day, 10Kwhr if I use the Batteries at night

Not intending to hijack this thread as while some of this may be off topic I do believe this information will be useful to some owners of these Hybrid systems being compared in this thread.

The current Critcal Load center/panel is the small box in the middle.

The Panel to the right of it is currently still only housing 1 Giant Load with 2 Double 40A 's since I recently replaced the Electric oven/range with a propane powered version and switched out the water heating elements to 120V 1,500W. Also got an Indoor propane heater.

Outside, the Grid supply splits into 2 separate 150A boxes before coming inside. Each 150A supply line goes to only one of the 2 Indoor Panels. There is a Non-Fusable Safety Switch outside underneath One of the 150A supply boxes with a shiny Brass Lock on it.

Indoors there are 2 Transfer Switches/Disconnects, 1 is hooked up to the present day Critical Loads Panel and another one that has never been used right next to the Panel that's nearly empty/ only has 1 big Load left on it at this time.

As mentioned earlier, It is my understanding that swapping out the small critical Loads center for a modestly bigger version and adding 2 more Loads which will solely be powered by the PV/Batteries should be OK. However I am also looking at possible methods of removing the 1 Load that is still in the bigger panel and possibly using that panel/BUS as the critcal Loads panel.

This system was installed by an excellent certified Electrician who is the Head Foreman of a big Electric Co., in close consultation with one of the Largest Sol-Ark Distributer/Installers, but at that time we decided to use the already existing small load center in the middle as the Critical Loads panel because it was originally intended to be a Grid- Tied system, but with an eye on possibly going off Grid at a later time.

Attachments

• 20210430_151338.jpg
    20210430_151338.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210430_151544.jpg
    20210430_151544.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 8
Not intending to hijack this thread as while some of this may be off topic I do believe this information will be useful to some owners of these Hybrid systems being compared in this thread.
You could probably get some good advice if you:
1) start a new thread and post a link to it here
2) do a drawing showing the circuits. Your setup description is complex, but I would guess the block diagram is straightforward. Give https://www.diagrams.net/ a try if you don't have any software to do that

Hi
I am completely new here but I was just about to buy a Sor-Ark 12K and saw this thread.
I also saw a unit that looked exactly like the Sol-Ark in a store and it was branded as Huayu. It was wall mounted right next to a Sol-Ark 12K and was exactly the same size but the quality of the construction was a lot cheaper.
Here is a link, if you scroll 3/4 way down you can see it looks almost the same as the Sol-Ark.
https://www.enfsolar.com/huayu-new-energy-technologies
The manual is only 20 pages long and I doubt that there is any form of customer service but it was almost half the price.

119743_40585e8347e0c95d5.jpg

Hi
I am completely new here but I was just about to buy a Sor-Ark 12K and saw this thread.
I also saw a unit that looked exactly like the Sol-Ark in a store and it was branded as Huayu. It was wall mounted right next to a Sol-Ark 12K and was exactly the same size but the quality of the construction was a lot cheaper.
Here is a link, if you scroll 3/4 way down you can see it looks almost the same as the Sol-Ark.
https://www.enfsolar.com/huayu-new-energy-technologies
The manual is only 20 pages long and I doubt that there is any form of customer service but it was almost half the price.

View attachment 47448
Sounds like you know what you are getting into. No documentation, no warranty and no support. Some people are ok with that.

Sounds like you know what you are getting into. No documentation, no warranty and no support. Some people are ok with that.
Let me be very clear, I am not knocking Sol-Ark. I am in the process of buying a Hybrid Inverter and it will be a SOL-ARK 12K-P (outdoor model). My post was purely informational and probably should have been longer to explain what it's like seeing the two units side by side. I had an hour to play around with them.

First of all the Sol-Ark is about 40% more expensive than the Huayu but that is a very deceptive price difference.
I got to see a bit inside each unit and so many things are completely different.
First of all the Huayu is an 8KW unit and the Sol-Ark is 12KW (some controversy on that but lets leave it there)

Fit and Finish
1) The case thickness, durability and finish are vastly superior on the Sol-Ark. The easy latching swing open case on the Sol-Ark was great as compared to the guy having to pull 4 Screws on the Huaya

2) The water proofing on the Sol-Ark is believable. Everything including the Fans seems to be designed to withstand getting water in them. The Huayu says it's also IP65 rated but it certainly does not appear to be.

Internals
1) Looking at the wiring cabinets in both, the Sol-Ark has all the needed breakers installed. I did not see any breakers in the Huayu and from looking at the manual everything must be done with external breakers.

2) I see circuit boards and ports in the Sol-Ark that are not in the Huayu.

3) Switches, connectors etc in the Huaya look and feel cheap and are no name brands.

4) The Sol-Ark supports communication with other battery packs like the Fortress etc. The Huayu has the port but does not seem to have any firmware support for using it.

Documentation, Support and Warranty

The Documentation on the Huayu is sparse at 35 pages and there is no other supplemental information or videos that I can find. The Sol-Ark could have a better manual but at least it's 54 pages and has much clearer information and a ton of supplemental information.
Warranty on the Sol-Ark is 10 Years and the Huayu is 5 years. The question is who is going to honor that warranty on the Huaya and who is going to assist you during installation or if your having problems.

My Conclusion
The Sol-Ark won me over in every way. While I do believe that if you cracked open both 8KW versions of these two units you would find that they share the same Inverter board and CPU plus Display I think every part that interfaces with the core system is vastly superior and more expensive to build on the Sol-Ark. The software in both seems to be rooted in the same original source code but Sol-Ark has added so much more to it than the Huayu.
So overall I don't think that the value for money is even close, the Sol-Ark is more expensive simply because it's a lot more expensive to build and it also has great support and a great warranty.

The Solark manual could use some work. But these units are so simple that there isn't much to cover in the manual.
Solark support is on the ball. They answered my questions quick.
I haven't had any warranty issues.

My Solark 12K has only been up a few months and I don't think I am loading it to the limit. But since I began to export to the grid, the Solark is getting a work out.

Let me be very clear, I am not knocking Sol-Ark. I am in the process of buying a Hybrid Inverter and it will be a SOL-ARK 12K-P (outdoor model). My post was purely informational and probably should have been longer to explain what it's like seeing the two units side by side. I had an hour to play around with them.

First of all the Sol-Ark is about 40% more expensive than the Huayu but that is a very deceptive price difference.
I got to see a bit inside each unit and so many things are completely different.
First of all the Huayu is an 8KW unit and the Sol-Ark is 12KW (some controversy on that but lets leave it there)

Fit and Finish
1) The case thickness, durability and finish are vastly superior on the Sol-Ark. The easy latching swing open case on the Sol-Ark was great as compared to the guy having to pull 4 Screws on the Huaya

2) The water proofing on the Sol-Ark is believable. Everything including the Fans seems to be designed to withstand getting water in them. The Huayu says it's also IP65 rated but it certainly does not appear to be.

Internals
1) Looking at the wiring cabinets in both, the Sol-Ark has all the needed breakers installed. I did not see any breakers in the Huayu and from looking at the manual everything must be done with external breakers.

2) I see circuit boards and ports in the Sol-Ark that are not in the Huayu.

3) Switches, connectors etc in the Huaya look and feel cheap and are no name brands.

4) The Sol-Ark supports communication with other battery packs like the Fortress etc. The Huayu has the port but does not seem to have any firmware support for using it.

Documentation, Support and Warranty

The Documentation on the Huayu is sparse at 35 pages and there is no other supplemental information or videos that I can find. The Sol-Ark could have a better manual but at least it's 54 pages and has much clearer information and a ton of supplemental information.
Warranty on the Sol-Ark is 10 Years and the Huayu is 5 years. The question is who is going to honor that warranty on the Huaya and who is going to assist you during installation or if your having problems.

My Conclusion
The Sol-Ark won me over in every way. While I do believe that if you cracked open both 8KW versions of these two units you would find that they share the same Inverter board and CPU plus Display I think every part that interfaces with the core system is vastly superior and more expensive to build on the Sol-Ark. The software in both seems to be rooted in the same original source code but Sol-Ark has added so much more to it than the Huayu.
So overall I don't think that the value for money is even close, the Sol-Ark is more expensive simply because it's a lot more expensive to build and it also has great support and a great warranty.

@robby would like to learn more about where you bought the unit. I found the 7.6k online here:

https://huayu-energy.en.alibaba.com...?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.12.5bfc7ff2HWoLcP

And maybe do a post on your install and impressions..?

@robby would like to learn more about where you bought the unit. I found the 7.6k online here:

https://huayu-energy.en.alibaba.com...?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.12.5bfc7ff2HWoLcP

And maybe do a post on your install and impressions..?
I did not buy the Huayu, I just looked at it for an hour along with the Sol-Ark. I have placed the order and I am supposed to pickup the Sol-Ark 12K on Wednesday. They did have several of the Huaya in stock but the lady says the Sol-Arks sell very quickly.

Back