diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

I currently have a Deye 8k, and I like it, although it hasn't been without figuring out some things. I use it in zero export to CT mode, and If the the L1-N and N-L2 voltages aren't _exactly_ the same, and my load is over ~4kw, it tries to lift the low-side voltage until it matches the other side and maxes out the 4kw module for that side and doesn't inject any power in the other side.

Of course, since there are 6 homes behind a distribution transformer where I'm at, the L1 and L2 are constantly varying by as much as a volt of difference at times, although typically just a 0.1V difference. That is going to be how split-phase power is inherently going to be. Their support simply told me that my power isn't suitable to use the inverter with and that the power company has to make it exactly the same.

For RV use I would use an all-in-one system too, I'm not sure if the high string voltage of the Deye would be a problem though? MPPSolar is still the most well-baked inexpensive inverter brand IMO. I've experimented with Growatt, and now Deye.
Does the voltage imbalance that you are talking about cause a F18 fault?

Thank you for the reply.
Would you go with the Deye again?
What did you think of the Growatt?
Did you like it would you use that again?
Why did you change to the Deye?

Yeah, I would go with the Deye again. It is mostly performing well.

My experience is with a low frequency Growatt, the SPF 12000t. It needed a couple of firmware fixes they cooked up after running into problems with erroneous faults, but after those fixes it ran perfectly. Their windows software doesn’t really work, it crashes a lot. Their cloud for data collection also leaves a lot to be desired.

The inverter itself would start every load and didn’t have any faults after the updates, and their support was responsive. I just wanted grid interactive features. I ended up selling it to my uncle to use on his barley farm in Idaho in a pure off-grid application. So would I use it again? I'm going to be helping them set it up and get it going, and I'm trusting it wont come back to bite me, so definitely.

Last edited:
I think it is the opposite: Deye licensed from Sol--Ark and are violating their agreement when selling to U.S. market.

I believe a substantial part of this thread addressed this. Although, I guess it depends on who you believe.
Copied from a response by Halcyon in the power forum:

This company in china https://www.deyeinverter.com/ manufactures the Deye inverter. In our market we get a 5kw and 8kw variant. In RSA you get the original Deye branded version, a Sunsynk branded version, an OHM branded version, INGE branded version and for interest in the USA they have a Sol-Ark branded version. There might even be more.

The Deye data sheet you have come across is accurate for the specifications https://solaradvice.co.za/wp-conten...-Sunsynk-Hybrid-PV-Inverter2020-Datasheet.pdf. Was it this one?

I have a 5kw Sunsynk branded unit and I am very happy with it. I had some installation teething problems that took a while to sort out especially over lockdown, however this is all resolved. Unfortunately, there are a lot of inexperienced Solar/electrical installers out there who do not truly understand the correct wiring requirements for these type of hybrid inverters and even less knowledge of how to resolve things if a problem is encountered. The installation manuals are also a little light on detail.

You can use any type of Solar panels with this inverter. It all comes down to the panel specification and how you wire them to stay within the inverter's range. For example I have 15 panels of 335W each. Each panel has a max rated current of +- 9 amp. If you wire 6 of them in series your Volts would be +- 240 V but the max amps would not exceed 9A which is well below the 18A maximum. You could wire two strings in parallel and you would still be within the 18A (9A + 9A) range but I will leave the technical details to the more experienced on this forum.

You are welcome to get in touch if you have questions or need further information about these inverters as I have learnt a great deal about them over the last 2 months.

Not sure exactly where I saw it but there was a PIC of what the DEYE unit looked like a few years ago and it looked much like the current Solark, Bet they redesigned exterior as part of some agreement with Solark.
I posted earlier in the thread what the deye inverters looked like initially, here is what was sold as the 8k version by deye in one of its early editions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210805-215424_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210805-215424_Chrome.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 39
I posted earlier in the thread what the deye inverters looked like initially, here is what was sold as the 8k version by deye in one of its early editions.
If only Sol-Ark was not so greedy, I would buy a bunch of them. I dont mind profit, and i hear they provide good support, which I know costs money, time, and skills training. That being said, 400% over cost of goods is way too much, especially as all other vendors are catching up VERY fast. I guess I am just jealous, cause I want at least 2 of them, but that would cost me more than what I paid for my 2 6.5KW inverters, 50KW of Lifepo4, my mounting hardware and 16 solar panels, cabling, etc. Not worth it. I can buy 10 LV6548's for the price of two Sol-Ark 9K's
(Yeah, they are only 9KW in real life)
Are they that much better?

If only Sol-Ark was not so greedy, I would buy a bunch of them. I dont mind profit, and i hear they provide good support, which I know costs money, time, and skills training. That being said, 400% over cost of goods is way too much, especially as all other vendors are catching up VERY fast. I guess I am just jealous, cause I want at least 2 of them, but that would cost me more than what I paid for my 2 6.5KW inverters, 50KW of Lifepo4, my mounting hardware and 16 solar panels, cabling, etc. Not worth it. I can buy 10 LV6548's for the price of two Sol-Ark 9K's
My understanding is the customer service and support is top notch, my take on the pricing...deye offers 5 years to solarks 10 so they can charge twice the retail to cover this keep in mind their price might be what we pay as retail because they have quality circuit breakers included along with some other design changes(i am speaking to the 8k veraion).I personally find it hard to believe they designed this inverter from the ground up as my research has pointed to this inverter being around while they were on their first version of the solark, but i am sure they have had some value added options done to their specifications...i don't need all of the functions of the solark but love what all is included and they are all in the deye branded version for half the cost delivered to my door, i can add my own circuit breakers....

They aren’t targeting us budget DIY types. They are making a case against other mainstream retail inverters coupled with a battery system. Check out their Google Doc comparison what they are saying: https://docs.google.com/viewer?srcid=17G_XQjBQusCMLIEqi0WFRM1PRdYEQnp3&pid=explorer&embedded=true

Now, mind you, I was never going to buy one at their asking price, so they haven’t lost a sale to me because I’m using a Deye. Just like I’ve never bought a new car or Apple computer.

My understanding is the customer service and support is top notch, my take on the pricing...deye offers 5 years to solarks 10 so they can charge twice the retail to cover this keep in mind their price might be what we pay as retail because they have quality circuit breakers included along with some other design changes(i am speaking to the 8k veraion).I personally find it hard to believe they designed this inverter from the ground up as my research has pointed to this inverter being around while they were on their first version of the solark, but i am sure they have had some value added options done to their specifications...i don't need all of the functions of the solark but love what all is included and they are all in the deye branded version for half the cost delivered to my door, i can add my own circuit breakers....
They have stated that this is the case. It would not surprise me at all that the first version 8KW design might have shown up in China first. You have to view it from the lens of a small company with very little resources. You can design and test the prototypes in the USA but eventually you need to tool up for your first production models that will be used to get certification. In China this certification process is fairly simple but in the USA it can take a year or more, plus add into that the excellerated testing to make sure that a 10 year warranty does not come back to bite you in the rear.
While your doing all of this work your partner in China already has the go ahead for domestic production, so they are of course producing and selling units while your waiting for all the certifications.

BTW I have seen both 8KW versions side by side and it's not just added breakers. Everything about the Sol-Ark is vastly superior, from the case all the way to the PV connectors and interconnection cables and switches. The only similarity is the main PCB itsef and the Display. I would suspect that all the capacitors and other components in the Sol-Ark are also high quality parts while the DEYE knockoffs use low cost components.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of inexperienced Solar/electrical installers out there who do not truly understand the correct wiring requirements for these type of hybrid inverters and even less knowledge of how to resolve things if a problem is encountered. The installation manuals are also a little light on detail.
It's true, I've spent plenty of time on the phone with experienced installers walking them through installations with these inverters. It's not that they are particularly difficult to install (they are a breeze from a wiring standpoint) or that it was a fault on the part of the installer, it's mainly that these are capable of a wide variety of applications and knowing how to wire it and program it for your particular application can be challenging the first time.

And I don't fault Deye really on the manual side, they have a solid product. It's just covering every possible configuration in the manual is challenging. The latest revision is getting there though.

They have stated that this is the case. It would not surprise me at all that the first version 8KW design might have shown up in China first. You have to view it from the lens of a small company with very little resources. You can design and test the prototypes in the USA but eventually you need to tool up for your first production models that will be used to get certification. In China this certification process is fairly simple but in the USA it can take a year or more, plus add into that the excellerated testing to make sure that a 10 year warranty does not come back to bite you in the rear.
While your doing all of this work your partner in China already has the go ahead for domestic production, so they are of course producing and selling units while your waiting for all the certifications.

BTW I have seen both 8KW versions side by side and it's not just added breakers. Everything about the Sol-Ark is vastly superior, from the case all the way to the PV connectors and interconnection cables and switches. The only similarity is the main PCB itsef and the Display. I would suspect that all the capacitors and other components in the Sol-Ark are also high quality parts while the DEYE knockoffs use low cost components.
I believe the deye was around first, was seen at a trade show and then licenced....they have been making inverters longer than solark has been in existance! the picture above of a 8k is from before solarks first version came out, i am sure they have made changes better brand/quality breakers and other parts to me the solark is the upgraded knock off if one if them is going to be a knock off...this is like Christopher Columbus discovering the americas...imho

if you can get the deye at deye prices, i'd opt for the dye/sunsynk over the lv's...
but when i looked into importing 2 12k 3 phase into europe, the taxes and import fees made them too much for my taste...

i opted for 3 8000 maxes, and still came in better

I believe the deye was around first, was seen at a trade show and then licenced....they have been making inverters longer than solark has been in existance! the picture above of a 8k is from before solarks first version came out, i am sure they have made changes better brand/quality breakers and other parts to me the solark is the upgraded knock off if one if them is going to be a knock off...this is like Christopher Columbus discovering the americas...imho
actually, it was sunsynk...
their engineer Keith can be found on YT

deye bought his company , and then started out small ( the sun-1000's and sun-2000's are from Keith's orginal company) by continuing the small inverters
I believe indeed sol-ark found their devices, and agree to exclusive sales in North America..

I must be said that Sol-ark does do some dev and shares this with the other brands, and they have customize the Deye 8 k to include bigger MPPT's ( sol-ark 12K )

Deye being around before Sol-Ark is not the question. When Sol-Ark was still in it's early days and looking for a partner to manufacturer their 8K inverters it is obvious they would pick a well established company for this. The question is who created the 8K units design. The owner of Sol-Ark has said it was them. Nobody seems to have an issue believing Sol-Ark created their first unit the 3000W model.

I found this Photo of the Solark 8K before it was released. I put it next to the old one from DEYE. Seems to me like the same prototype units.

Sol-Deye.jpg

Deye being around before Sol-Ark is not the question. When Sol-Ark was still in it's early days and looking for a partner to manufacturer their 8K inverters it is obvious they would pick a well established company for this. The question is who created the 8K units design. The owner of Sol-Ark has said it was them. Nobody seems to have an issue believing Sol-Ark created their first unit the 3000W model.

I found this Photo of the Solark 8K before it was released. I put it next to the old one from DEYE. Seems to me like the same prototype units.

View attachment 59076
Just a repost. The folks overseas also believe Sol-Ark is made by Deye.

DIY Solar Power Forum

S

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US​

UncleJimmy said:
I think it is the opposite: Deye licensed from Sol--Ark and are violating their agreement when selling to U.S. market.

I believe a substantial part of this thread addressed this. Although, I guess it depends on who you believe.
Copied from a response by Halcyon in the power forum:

This company in china https://www.deyeinverter.com/ manufactures the Deye inverter. In our market we get a 5kw and 8kw variant. In RSA you get the original Deye branded version, a Sunsynk branded version, an OHM branded version, INGE branded version and for interest in the USA they have a Sol-Ark branded version. There might even be more.

The Deye data sheet you have come across is accurate for the specifications https://solaradvice.co.za/wp-conten...-Sunsynk-Hybrid-PV-Inverter2020-Datasheet.pdf. Was it this one?

I have a 5kw Sunsynk branded unit and I am very happy with it. I had some installation teething problems that took a while to sort out especially over lockdown, however this is all resolved. Unfortunately, there are a lot of inexperienced Solar/electrical installers out there who do not truly understand the correct wiring requirements for these type of hybrid inverters and even less knowledge of how to resolve things if a problem is encountered. The installation manuals are also a little light on detail.

You can use any type of Solar panels with this inverter. It all comes down to the panel specification and how you wire them to stay within the inverter's range. For example I have 15 panels of 335W each. Each panel has a max rated current of +- 9 amp. If you wire 6 of them in series your Volts would be +- 240 V but the max amps would not exceed 9A which is well below the 18A maximum. You could wire two strings in parallel and you would still be within the 18A (9A + 9A) range but I will leave the technical details to the more experienced on this forum.

You are welcome to get in touch if you have questions or need further information about these inverters as I have learnt a great deal about them over the last 2 months.

Attachments

• 1628285405289.gif
    1628285405289.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 7
  • 1628285405342.gif
    1628285405342.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 7
Just a repost. The folks overseas also believe Sol-Ark is made by Deye.
Nobody is disputing that they are made by Deye, and as you know Iphones and about 60% of consumer electronics are made in China.

What has been stated by Sol-Ark is that they designed and created the Inverter and then sent it to DEYE to be manufactured. If you have been in this business you know there is a huge difference between a copy of a product made for Chinese Domestic Consumption vs what the US company is buying from them. When we would do our BOM for PC boards it specified that the Capacitors were Rubycon or Panasonic caps from Japan and we actually had the parts delivered to the PCB manufacturer in China for loading into their machines, same with all of the semiconductors etc.

The knock off version that they created for domestic sale used our same PCB but with a different stencil design and had the same value caps but they were typically anything from Taicon to Capsun branded and sometimes no consistency as they just put in what parts they could get the best deal on. Different companies in China that would buy the knockoff boards would specify different parts, depending on what price point they are trying to sell at.

Most people don't get the difference, they just look at what the product looks like and what it can do and automatically think it's the same thing. Most people have no idea how difficult it is to work within a set budget on a PCB design. Cheap parts with the same or very close to specifications can cost 10 times less than the premium brand parts. The problem is that they have a high failure rate and the derating is much faster with surges, time and heat.

If DEYE's domestic branded inverters used the exact same parts as the Sol-Ark version don't you think DEYE would realize that a 10 Year warranty was a safe bet? The reason they go with 5 years is because they already know what is going to happen to the parts inside once you go over that 5 year period.

Nobody is disputing that they are made by Deye, and as you know Iphones and about 60% of consumer electronics are made in China.

What has been stated by Sol-Ark is that they designed and created the Inverter and then sent it to DEYE to be manufactured. If you have been in this business you know there is a huge difference between a copy of a product made for Chinese Domestic Consumption vs what the US company is buying from them. When we would do our BOM for PC boards it specified that the Capacitors were Rubycon or Panasonic caps from Japan and we actually had the parts delivered to the PCB manufacturer in China for loading into their machines, same with all of the semiconductors etc.

The knock off version that they created for domestic sale used our same PCB but with a different stencil design and had the same value caps but they were typically anything from Taicon to Capsun branded and sometimes no consistency as they just put in what parts they could get the best deal on. Different companies in China that would buy the knockoff boards would specify different parts, depending on what price point they are trying to sell at.

Most people don't get the difference, they just look at what the product looks like and what it can do and automatically think it's the same thing. Most people have no idea how difficult it is to work within a set budget on a PCB design. Cheap parts with the same or very close to specifications can cost 10 times less than the premium brand parts. The problem is that they have a high failure rate and the derating is much faster with surges, time and heat.

If DEYE's domestic branded inverters used the exact same parts as the Sol-Ark version don't you think DEYE would realize that a 10 Year warranty was a safe bet? The reason they go with 5 years is because they already know what is going to happen to the parts inside once you go over that 5 year period.

I don't quite understand your explanation. Are you saying you think Sol-Ark is the original creator because they use Rubycon instead of Taicon caps with longer warranty? If so, it seems pretty thin.

I am familiar with companies manufacturing in China and I don't think it's typical for companies to share full IP including SW source code with HW manufacturers. Is there some major functionality in Sol-Ark that's not available in Deye or Sunsynk or vice versa? It would be helpful to see more in-depth comparison of key features and functions.

I don't quite understand your explanation. Are you saying you think Sol-Ark is the original creator because they use Rubycon instead of Taicon caps with longer warranty? If so, it seems pretty thin.

I am familiar with companies manufacturing in China and I don't think it's typical for companies to share full IP including SW source code with HW manufacturers. Is there some major functionality in Sol-Ark that's not available in Deye or Sunsynk or vice versa? It would be helpful to see more in-depth comparison of key features and functions.
I am saying they are the original creator because the owner of Sol-Ark stated that already.
My statement about component quality simply has to do with the difference in price and the shorter warranty of the knock off versions.

I don't know how familiar you with the system but evidently not all that much. For smaller manufactures who have products that have technology that interest the CCP it is almost mandatory to share all design info and firmware with your Chinese partner. Since they are already building the product they would of course need the design information anyway.

I don't have detailed information on what the Deye can do via the firmware versus the Sol-Ark but if there is an agreement in place, then it would require Sol-Ark to give Deye any updates they create. BTW it's often not only the designs and software that they will require but in certain cases if specialized machines are needed to build the item they will require them to be sent to China on a one way trip. That is why so many factories in the USA have in the past had to ship all their production equipment to China as well as people from the company to setup and train the Chinese workers on how to use and maintain the equipment.

I am saying they are the original creator because the owner of Sol-Ark stated that already.
My statement about component quality simply has to do with the difference in price and the shorter warranty of the knock off versions.

I don't know how familiar you with the system but evidently not all that much. For smaller manufactures who have products that have technology that interest the CCP it is almost mandatory to share all design info and firmware with your Chinese partner. Since they are already building the product they would of course need the design information anyway.

I don't have detailed information on what the Deye can do via the firmware versus the Sol-Ark but if there is an agreement in place, then it would require Sol-Ark to give Deye any updates they create. BTW it's often not only the designs and software that they will require but in certain cases if specialized machines are needed to build the item they will require them to be sent to China on a one way trip. That is why so many factories in the USA have in the past had to ship all their production equipment to China as well as people from the company to setup and train the Chinese workers on how to use and maintain the equipment.
they are not, very simply put...

the idea and first software was created by an english bloke living in hongkong
he was the company that made the sun-1000 and sun-2000 GTIL .
that company was bought by deye , which then released the sun-1000 and sun-2000 GTIL2.

From that basis bigger inverters were developed by keith ( english bloke) and for UK, EU and the africa's he has the exclusive rights to release them as sunsynk.
Deye has rights to do the globe.

then came sol-ark, which LICENSED them exclusively for the north american ( 120/240v) market as sol-ark..
and marked them up by 300% , giving them a longer warranty, local support and area specific software changes/development.

as this poohaa is mostly bullcrap, just like their " made in usa" , which later became " designed in usa" to protect their extraordinary markup figures

full stop

Last edited:
Back