diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

Here are internal photos of what I believe to be the Deye 8kw. It is re-labeled as Amensolar.
If anyone can upload internal photos of a unit branded "Deye" I would like to compare photos to confirm or deny my unit is a real Deye, not a clone or knock-off.
Just arrived today from China

Attachments

• E1FF72EF-04DD-4011-A255-3862EC06C112.jpeg
    E1FF72EF-04DD-4011-A255-3862EC06C112.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 7646BC32-9169-4650-BC37-300CADD1FF2D.jpeg
    7646BC32-9169-4650-BC37-300CADD1FF2D.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 69
Cover off

Attachments

• 3B236020-FE5B-4257-B02C-76F318C396DA.jpeg
    3B236020-FE5B-4257-B02C-76F318C396DA.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 82781FDA-0CD7-45FE-ACD2-852D031DF016.jpeg
    82781FDA-0CD7-45FE-ACD2-852D031DF016.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 58
  • F9553043-9CBA-4C43-B95D-AE123DBEA021.jpeg
    F9553043-9CBA-4C43-B95D-AE123DBEA021.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 59
  • 374A8498-FF73-4B17-BD6D-E620178F766E.jpeg
    374A8498-FF73-4B17-BD6D-E620178F766E.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 4AF33A29-B132-472C-BEE5-29A82D09FA7A.jpeg
    4AF33A29-B132-472C-BEE5-29A82D09FA7A.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 59
  • 3025424C-D6E8-4A02-AF45-66A1CE409301.jpeg
    3025424C-D6E8-4A02-AF45-66A1CE409301.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 59
There are 4 of these components in the inverter that are mounted on quick release pins, looks like they are made to be easily serviceable, what are they?

Attachments

• F8952077-FE58-421F-B4A7-991B168A443D.jpeg
    F8952077-FE58-421F-B4A7-991B168A443D.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
There are 4 of these components in the inverter that are mounted on quick release pins, looks like they are made to be easily serviceable, what are they?

Their replacement ought to be addressed in the manual.

Their replacement ought to be addressed in the manual.

Not at all!.. this inverter documentation its even more lackluster than the one of my MPP solar inverters, that i already considered bad.

This is the internals of the Deye brand 8k, seems to be exactly the same. Build quality looks good for an untrained eye:

1613412471042.png

Btw i didnt want to derail even more the MOV thread, but i will keep looking for solutions for mi long DC lines :)

Thats a MOV - metal oxide varistor, its a surge protection device, they wear out from soaking up little transient voltage spikes and will need to be replaced in 4-6 years. Of course they dont tell you that. For a dollar or so more a TVS diode will do the same thing but not wear out.

The MOV on the previous picture is 510V and made by EPCOS/TDK a few years ago it was tested and had very low performance most of the EPCOS MOVs that I tested had average to low performance but the 385V AC P/N B72220S2381K101 outperformed every other one, I could not make it fail.
The MOVs "short" when a spike on the line goes above the rated voltage normally they allow several KVolts or KAmps to go thru them.
Normally the MOVs can take several hits from lightning or even transients on the line and can survive. When they fail it is obvious because there are cracks or pieces missing.
Now days there are several inverters around, the reason I chose Sol-Ark 12K is if I was going to design one it will be close to the Sol-Ark. Another think Sol-Ark did is the HALT test where you can catch most of the problems early on and I feel better about the reliability of the product.

When shopping Alibaba for "Deye" inverters I found that sellers will not ship to the US as Deye is protecting Sol-Ark. If you badger the seller a few times they will say ok I will sell to you, But "don't tell where you purchased from or we will get in trouble". That sounds pretty grey to me. I won't tell who they are though:cool:
Disclaimer, Just speculation here. wondering if these inverters were designed by solark, then sourced to China for MFG where china’s IP laws are grey... Poof, the plans are stolen and used for sale to other companies. Probably another reason to be careful who you deal with when outsourcing mfg to China. They’d probably get in trouble for exporting to US, because then they would be violating trade-law? Again, pure speculation.

Edit: Or perhaps solark even allows Deye to produce and sell their design in markets that solark is not in or does not intend to enter....

Disclaimer, Just speculation here. wondering if these inverters were designed by solark, then sourced to China for MFG where china’s IP laws are grey... Poof, the plans are stolen and used for sale to other companies. Probably another reason to be careful who you deal with when outsourcing mfg to China. They’d probably get in trouble for exporting to US, because then they would be violating trade-law? Again, pure speculation.

Edit: Or perhaps solark even allows Deye to produce and sell their design in markets that solark is not in or does not intend to enter....
Highly doubt it. There is another version that is sold in South Africa and Australia under the brand name SunSynk. Mirrors DEYE and Sol-Ark. They were out with 'their' version before Sol-Ark was selling their first 8k version. When I was first looking for a hybrid inverter I stumbled across the SunSynk and actually tried to import one but they wouldn't/couldn't sell me one at the time. I believe DEYE is the original manufacture and there are just a number of versions that are rebranded with some tweaks on the software side but the guts are the same.

Highly doubt it. There is another version that is sold in South Africa and Australia under the brand name SunSynk. Mirrors DEYE and Sol-Ark. They were out with 'their' version before Sol-Ark was selling their first 8k version. When I was first looking for a hybrid inverter I stumbled across the SunSynk and actually tried to import one but they wouldn't/couldn't sell me one at the time. I believe DEYE is the original manufacture and there are just a number of versions that are rebranded with some tweaks on the software side but the guts are the same.
So sounds like solark doesn’t really design poop, as opposed to their claim?

So sounds like solark doesn’t really design poop, as opposed to their claim?
Possible.... I own the 12k and have used their technical support which is top notch. I do believe they tweak the software but even then the similarity between the two are eerie (I guess this is why legally they can claim 'Designed in USA', they designed the software. Even the web monitoring software they use is based out of china and looks very similar to sunsynk and deye versions.

Here is the Sunsynk CEO visiting the factory - notice the name of the company in the background if the 1st few minutes..

I think there you are probably fairly close to the mark.
There is obviously a market for an all-in-one product everywhere. SolArk may not have designed every CCA, but probably commissioned the product and sent the design to China for cheap manufacture.
SolArk having the IP rights in the US is the only explanation that fits for other brands to prohibit shipping here. Why else would a company deny access to the enormous market of the US?
This might have all played out on the 8k, and they learned their lesson and kept the 12k to themselves. That would explain why SolArk is the only one to have a 12k.
SolArk also offers EMP hardening and other options that are not available on a Deye or SunSynk. That design information must not have been shared.

I'm just analyzing and applying logic. I'm sure some disagree and you're welcome to pick at the logic.

There is obviously a market for an all-in-one product everywhere. SolArk may not have designed every CCA, but probably commissioned the product and sent the design to China for cheap manufacture.
SolArk having the IP rights in the US is the only explanation that fits for other brands to prohibit shipping here. Why else would a company deny access to the enormous market of the US?
This might have all played out on the 8k, and they learned their lesson and kept the 12k to themselves. That would explain why SolArk is the only one to have a 12k.
SolArk also offers EMP hardening and other options that are not available on a Deye or SunSynk. That design information must not have been shared.

I'm just analyzing and applying logic. I'm sure some disagree and you're welcome to pick at the logic.
So if you look at the specs. the 12k one is somewhat of a leaky statement. It is based delivery to battery and AC, true inverter is only 9k (similar to DEYE and Sunsynk options. I think what Sol-Ark came up with for 12k is more marketing hype than anything else since 12k sounds better than 9k right? ;-). pg 23 from setup manual. My theory is that they saw the product in the market or a trade show and bought a license for the North America market for X years. After which time it expires and DEYE is now able to sell the product here. Either way this is a complete guess on my part.

Being the OP of this thread I just wanted to highlight that my original intention is to highlight to users that there is another option for this class of inverter that is being offered and in a smaller sizes than what Sol-Ark is offering. I think competition and choices in this market is great for the consumer (us). I don't regret my decision (having purchased the 12k) but IF i was in the market today with the same needs I would be satisfied with the 5k DEYE version and use the savings to expand my system or a hot tub..!

NOTE - wrt EMP hardening that is based on the enclosure I believe only. no special electronics but i could be wrong.

Deye its going to have a 12K soon, but not sure if will follow solark design, or a new one.

NOTE - wrt EMP hardening that is based on the enclosure I believe only. no special electronics but i could be wrong.
I sprung for the EMP option, so this pic would show any enclosure differences.
20201127_120917.jpg

There is definitely more to it. Ferrites were put on every wire coming from the panels and there are more that go on the battery cables. I haven't opened up the top, so I don't know whats up there. (yet)

From what I can see in the lower section, it is significantly different than the images of the Deye 8k.
20210209_125444.jpg
Sure, the style of the PV connectors is the same, and the usage of RJ45 connectors for the communication is consistent. Other than that, this bears very little resemblance to the pics that @JakeinCanada ans @mrdavvv shared above.

Back