diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

Sol ark does monitor this form and going after anyone selling Deye in North America . I would put my money on that sol ark is not made in America.

Great thread so far! So what's the verdict on the deye 8kw inverters for US markets? Is it permitted without bricking the unit remotely or is it a no-go?

Also, has anyone tried the other private label rebranded versions of the deye inverters other than sol-ark?

Thanks!
FWIW - I decided to reach out to an Alibaba vendor that is selling the DEYE and asked about a US spec version being shipped directly to me. In short they are selling the 8k with WIFI plug for $1920:

one pc 8kw DEYE hybrid split phase inverter price is $1920 per pc (include wifi)

I believe that cost includes shipping.

Forgot to add that they included a link to the DEYE promotional spec. sheet for the US spec.
https://us-icbuim-file.oss-us-east-...n-5-6k-sg01lp1-ussun-7 6-8k-sg01lp1-us-eu.pdf

Let me clear up a few misconceptions. Sol-Ark is owned by US Veterans, not Deye. The engineers at Sol-Ark designed the Hybrid-Inverters and Deye is a manufacturer of our innovations. We worked with them for 7 years and gave them much of the IP to assist in the development of their grid-tied and microinverter options. 99% of the features, software methods, GUI, and hardware was done by us in the US.

So why would we give away IP? Our mission is affordable energy independence for family homes and businesses. We allowed Deye to sell elsewhere, in accordance to our agreement, so it could lower the costs for everyone and we pass that on.

Our Veteran owners and engineers fought around the world for the love and respect of the US people. Our focus is here now.

Why is there a higher price for Sol-Ark? #1) We paid millions in development, prototypes, debug, and cleaning up manufacturing mistakes. #2) We spent 100's of thousands in UL certificates and engineering time. #3) We warranty and repair our systems. #4) We pay a 25% tariff on these inverters. Others you mention in this blog are falsifying the country of origin to only pay 1.5%. #5) Features and functions of Sol-Ark products are significantly different for the US market and we continuously improve. #6) We designed it for ourselves and DIYers and found this requires a tremendous amount of support. Our rapidly growing engineering team is committed to their success.

Thanks for letting us know about these Stole-Arks. What good is a $30-50K ESS system that fails?

Remember our mission of affordability. We realized long ago that reducing the cost of the inverter was not the complete answer. Below are the largest expenses of an average installed (not DIY) ESS system = $45K before credits.

1. Battery = $13,000
20kWh x $650/kWh
2. Install = $10,000
10kWpv x $1/W
3. Financing = $7,000
$38K x 18%
4. Inverter = $6,000
8000W x $0.75/W
5. PV Panels = $5,000
10,000W x $0.50/W
6. Misc / BOM = $4,000

Each ESS (Batt + Inverter) = $19K. If we can use a single ESS to backup the entire home instead of 2+, that’s a massive savings. If we can make it 2-3X easier to install, we can bring down that expense. If we can make the battery last longer, that saves. We are currently engineering communications for Utilities that allows for “renting” your ESS ~60 times a year and pay you ~$1K/5KWh/year!

You will see some amazing innovations from Sol-Ark in 2021. Most of these will be Made in the USA as our new facility will be completed.

The Deye/Sunsynk Hybrid is a copy of a Sol-Ark, not the other way around.

Respectfully,
Tom Brennan
Sol-Ark CTO
Soli Deo Gloria

Let me clear up a few misconceptions. Sol-Ark is owned by US Veterans, not Deye. The engineers at Sol-Ark designed the Hybrid-Inverters and Deye is a manufacturer of our innovations. We worked with them for 7 years and gave them much of the IP to assist in the development of their grid-tied and microinverter options. 99% of the features, software methods, GUI, and hardware was done by us in the US.

So why would we give away IP? Our mission is affordable energy independence for family homes and businesses. We allowed Deye to sell elsewhere, in accordance to our agreement, so it could lower the costs for everyone and we pass that on.

Our Veteran owners and engineers fought around the world for the love and respect of the US people. Our focus is here now.

Why is there a higher price for Sol-Ark? #1) We paid millions in development, prototypes, debug, and cleaning up manufacturing mistakes. #2) We spent 100's of thousands in UL certificates and engineering time. #3) We warranty and repair our systems. #4) We pay a 25% tariff on these inverters. Others you mention in this blog are falsifying the country of origin to only pay 1.5%. #5) Features and functions of Sol-Ark products are significantly different for the US market and we continuously improve. #6) We designed it for ourselves and DIYers and found this requires a tremendous amount of support. Our rapidly growing engineering team is committed to their success.

Thanks for letting us know about these Stole-Arks. What good is a $30-50K ESS system that fails?

Remember our mission of affordability. We realized long ago that reducing the cost of the inverter was not the complete answer. Below are the largest expenses of an average installed (not DIY) ESS system = $45K before credits.

1. Battery = $13,000
20kWh x $650/kWh
2. Install = $10,000
10kWpv x $1/W
3. Financing = $7,000
$38K x 18%
4. Inverter = $6,000
8000W x $0.75/W
5. PV Panels = $5,000
10,000W x $0.50/W
6. Misc / BOM = $4,000

Each ESS (Batt + Inverter) = $19K. If we can use a single ESS to backup the entire home instead of 2+, that’s a massive savings. If we can make it 2-3X easier to install, we can bring down that expense. If we can make the battery last longer, that saves. We are currently engineering communications for Utilities that allows for “renting” your ESS ~60 times a year and pay you ~$1K/5KWh/year!

You will see some amazing innovations from Sol-Ark in 2021. Most of these will be Made in the USA as our new facility will be completed.

Respectfully,
Tom Brennan
Sol-Ark CTO
Soli Deo Gloria
Fair enough, but the lure of a bargain has a very strong attraction - especially for a inverter/charger thats as well engineered as the Sol-Ark. You'll be fighting a uphill battle as long as your production is in China as they'll sell to anybody as long as they think they can get away with it. Particularly as products flow from vendor to vendor trying to make a sale anyway they can.

I imagine its probably the biggest drawback of using China to produce your design is the fact that unless you're Chinese - Intellectual Property is at best a laughable idea and at worst they don't even give it lip service.

In short, this is what you should have expected and grey market Deye inverters will continue to plague you until you move production somewhere else - and even then they will continue to produce and sell your inverter.

1. Battery = $13,000
20kWh x $650/kWh
2. Install = $10,000
10kWpv x $1/W
3. Financing = $7,000
$38K x 18%
4. Inverter = $6,000
8000W x $0.75/W
5. PV Panels = $5,000
10,000W x $0.50/W
6. Misc / BOM = $4,000

Respectfully,
Tom Brennan
Sol-Ark CTO
Soli Deo Gloria
Thanks for stopping by. Y'all sell some awesome stuff. Keep up the hard work! :cool:

Last edited:

1. Battery = $13,000
20kWh x $650/kWh
2. Install = $10,000
10kWpv x $1/W
3. Financing = $7,000
$38K x 18%
4. Inverter = $6,000
8000W x $0.75/W
5. PV Panels = $5,000
10,000W x $0.50/W
6. Misc / BOM = $4,000

Respectfully,
Tom Brennan
Sol-Ark CTO
Soli Deo Gloria
Thank you for clearing up the misconceptions.

Thank you to your veteran team for their service. Ooh-RAH! or Hooah! depending on which way you lean.

1. Battery = $13,000
20kWh x $650/kWh
2. Install = $10,000
10kWpv x $1/W
3. Financing = $7,000
$38K x 18%
4. Inverter = $6,000
8000W x $0.75/W
5. PV Panels = $5,000
10,000W x $0.50/W
6. Misc / BOM = $4,000

Respectfully,
Tom Brennan
Sol-Ark CTO
Soli Deo Gloria
I am in the process of installing a Solark on my home and I have a lot of respect for Solark.
I could have bought a Deye but didn't give it much thought.
It says a lot for you to come here and make a statement.

Hope to see people from Solark around here again

Yeah. I have slight buyer's remorse given the amount of upfront research I did and was aware pretty earlier that these versions are pretty much the same inverter functionality and options outside of cases and menu tweaks - no one was willing to ship one to the US (Sunsynk ver). I would've loved the 5kw version and spent the 'savings' on more panels and batteries to get me through the winter months better.
Hi, why no one was willing to ship to the US? We're you trying to ship through a shipping company?

I've installed a number of Sol-Ark's Something to keep in mind that seems to be a common misconception about them is that the 12k Solark is not 12k. It will reset at about 7.2kw. Other than that they are good units. The oldest install I have is over a year with no glitches. I monitor all of of my installs with the phone app and an online web based system called Power View that makes it easy to tune things up from a distance. Usually the updates take under a minute as opposed to my Outback Skybox that refreshes every hour. In comparison to the Skybox though, Outback is very conservative on their output numbers where Sol-Ark tends to do what most overseas manufacturers do and list the units upper edge as its capacity. I like both units. But if we are comparing apples to apples. the Skybox will put out almost as much as the Sol-Ark. for a few k less in dollars. Downside is that the Skybox won't parallel connect with more inverters

Hi, why no one was willing to ship to the US? We're you trying to ship through a shipping company?
I don't know and didn't pursue it when they wouldn't sell to me the Sunsynk. I was trying to buy direct from the vendor in South Africa at the time. Since then I have bought the Sol-Ark 12k and have been impressed will be one year in April.

Not sure. At first glance they appear to have similar stats and they have an office in the US. Their site is lacking pricing and no info on how to order.
I can get it at a local distributor. This would be for my vacation/rental property.

I have a few questions about the Sol Ark or DEYE.

1. I would like the have the grid connected but only as backup to the PV. Could this be accomplished by simply unchecking the sell to grid function?

2. Does the sell to grid function has to be on to use the battery less mode?

3. If my house is using more kw than the inverter can output continuously, Does it switches over to the grid completely or blend/supplement power from the grid?

Thanks in advanced.

So I acquired a new DEYE 7.6kw awhile back and will be doing a direct comparison with the Sol-Ark 12k, which is a comparable unit since the Sol-Ark 12k isn't really 12kw on the AC side. It will overload at 7.2 to 7.4KW AC. This is even if the solar/battery side is prducing less than 7.2 KW and the grid is making up the balance. Only 7.2KW AC can be run through the unit. When I first discovered this I thought it was a defective machine until tech support walked me through the fine print. My test will be trying to trip the DEYE and see if it trips at the same load as the Sol-Ark.

I have a few questions about the Sol Ark or DEYE.

1. I would like the have the grid connected but only as backup to the PV. Could this be accomplished by simply unchecking the sell to grid function?

2. Does the sell to grid function has to be on to use the battery less mode?

3. If my house is using more kw than the inverter can output continuously, Does it switches over to the grid completely or blend/supplement power from the grid?

Thanks in advanced.
1. If you connect the grid to the generator/ Smart Load, it will not sell to grid and will only act as a backup.
2. Your solar has to go somewhere, so yes.
3. If you are using the grid as backup through the generator connection then yes. If you have the grid attached at the Grid connection then that is also yes.

1. If you connect the grid to the generator/ Smart Load, it will not sell to grid and will only act as a backup.
2. Your solar has to go somewhere, so yes.
3. If you are using the grid as backup through the generator connection then yes. If you have the grid attached at the Grid connection then that is also yes.
1. Thanks. I’m still curious if I can disable sell to grid from the menu as I’d like to use the smart load feature.
2. Wouldn’t the loads in the house serve as
somewhere for the solar to go?
3. I’m not sure if you’re saying yes to the blending of the sources or switching.

So I acquired a new DEYE 7.6kw awhile back and will be doing a direct comparison with the Sol-Ark 12k, which is a comparable unit since the Sol-Ark 12k isn't really 12kw on the AC side. It will overload at 7.2 to 7.4KW AC. This is even if the solar/battery side is prducing less than 7.2 KW and the grid is making up the balance. Only 7.2KW AC can be run through the unit. When I first discovered this I thought it was a defective machine until tech support walked me through the fine print. My test will be trying to trip the DEYE and see if it trips at the same load as the Sol-Ark.
I’m interested in this outcome.

1. Thanks. I’m still curious if I can disable sell to grid from the menu as I’d like to use the smart load feature.
2. Wouldn’t the loads in the house serve as
somewhere for the solar to go?
3. I’m not sure if you’re saying yes to the blending of the sources or switching.
1. Yes you can disable sell to grid and keep your Smart Load feature.
2. If there is nowhere for the solar to go then there will be no production. So on a day that you can produce 5kw and you are only using 2kw, that's all you will produce. Therein lies the advantage of Grid tie.
3. Yes to blending the sources.

1. Yes you can disable sell to grid and keep your Smart Load feature.
2. If there is nowhere for the solar to go then there will be no production. So on a day that you can produce 5kw and you are only using 2kw, that's all you will produce. Therein lies the advantage of Grid tie.
3. Yes to blending the sources.
Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know.

Back