diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

I am just asking this for Deye owners in the USA. If they buy a Deye on eBay etc and have an issue will you repair or replace the unit under warranty or is it only applicable to units that you sell in SA and the Caribbean? If you will replace burnt out units that would be great news for US owners.
Let's just say I have to be really, really careful how I answer this...... I can only say I back units I sell. Beyond that, I can't comment and I probably said too much as it is but Deye does back their units and it is possible to buy a unit from wholesalers in China who will back the 5-year warranty wherever it may be installed. But you have to know who to work with and frankly, if you have an issue, it's best to take it up with your wholesaler/distributor so you need to be careful who you buy from IMHO.

It's similar to how Victron works with their warranties/support. They prefer if you go through the dealer you bought from.

If someone does have a problem with a unit they bought from somewhere, they are welcome to message me and if I have the bandwidth I'll gladly help if I can.

People are also free to message me about sourcing the units in general if they would like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Buying a unit directly from China is probably going to a bit of a turn off for most people. If it arrives doa that is a major return expense. If it dies after a few years you will be lucky if that dealer is still around and even if he is you have the back and forth shipping expense to deal with along with the repair time in China.

Thanks for the info. Buying a unit directly from China is probably going to a bit of a turn off for most people. If it arrives doa that is a major return expense. If it dies after a few years you will be lucky if that dealer is still around and even if he is you have the back and forth shipping expense to deal with along with the repair time in China.
well, not entirely true there AWLS is in nigeria, africa, and deals straight with deye ( or used to ).

abeid a time difference, his expirences were very well documented on yt..
got replacement mainbords after one had fried in 7 days...
IMHO 7 - 10 outage is something you plan for.

i work in IT, and we have a saying...

ONE IS NONE

being really off grid, this would be true even more so

given the price difference, you can get 3 deye's for one sol-ark, which should be more "umpf" too keep.one going for 7 - 14 days

I don't really want to dive much into this for a variety of reasons but we've discussed the terms of becoming Deye's third agent in the USA with them directly and they currently have 3 fully licensed agents including SOL-ARK. SOL-ARK is NOT exclusive. The initial terms are, simply put, a requirement to buy at least 1 full container per month of hybrid inverters or roughly 300 pcs. This is not hearsay or speculation, it's straight from Deye.

Sourcing 5KW & 8KW split-phase SG01LP1-US units for us has been a non-issue and we're working on ramping up to becoming an agent/distributor in our region (Central America/Caribbean). Currently installing and operating units in Belize, even speccing full micro-grids with them. They have been rock solid so far, they are our replacement/new offering in place of the aging Outback Radians/Magnum inverters. Any units bought through me are backed by a 5-year warranty but I'm hoping to extend that as time passes. We believe the units we receive are built to the same standard as the SOL-ARK inverters but time will tell.

That said, the units are increasing in both lead time and cost from the factory with the chip shortage among other things.

That's great info. Do you cover Puerto Rico? Web site link?

Let's just say I have to be really, really careful how I answer this...... I can only say I back units I sell. Beyond that, I can't comment and I probably said too much as it is but Deye does back their units and it is possible to buy a unit from wholesalers in China who will back the 5-year warranty wherever it may be installed. But you have to know who to work with and frankly, if you have an issue, it's best to take it up with your wholesaler/distributor so you need to be careful who you buy from IMHO.

It's similar to how Victron works with their warranties/support. They prefer if you go through the dealer you bought from.

If someone does have a problem with a unit they bought from somewhere, they are welcome to message me and if I have the bandwidth I'll gladly help if I can.

People are also free to message me about the units in general if they would like.
This is all great news for all of us folks in the US who want the features of a SolArk, but want to pay a reasonable price. The only vendor I have seen so far that I like and is very similar to Deye is MPP/Voltronic (MUST is a non sanctioned clone of MPP). SMA Sunny Island are more AC coupled focused, Schnieder is too complicated, and Outback I know nothing about, but see people replacing with Sol-Ark.

What is your US price for the 8K variant? (I also like the honesty of the output numbers vs Sol-Ark's 12K marketing. My LV6548 MPP's would be 8K's if following the same marketing scheme).

MPP will be shipping UL listed Grid Tie capable, outdoor installable 6k and 8K units shortly. I needed to decide between those or the US version Deye units.

By the way, I just watched an informative video on Sol-Ark high capacity install on Youtube by a guy named Sasha. He found out the hard way that when Sol-Ark's are stacked for load sharing, when you get near the peak load, the software/communication is not fast enough to spread the load, so it can cause cascading failures of the inverters. He was using 5 x Sol-Ark 12K's. I will shar the link if I can find it again.

@solar8484 I'll PM you as soon as I can.

@Sanwizard PM sent to you as well. Due to shifting prices in the current environment, I prefer not to post prices publicly but anyone is welcome to message me at any time. I'll try to answer as soon as I can. If I take a while, feel free to PM again. Sometimes messages get buried.

When not using a hybrid inverter, I see very little reason generally not to use an AC-Coupled architecture when design/installing for medium to large homes and especially mini/micro-grids for villages/multiple homes. Even the latest updates to the Deye hybrid inverters include frequency shifting the output when used in off-grid applications for smoothly controlling the output of micro/string inverters.

The Deye hybrid inverters also respond to FW control on the grid side making them perfect for building micro-grids. In many applications, with frequency shift control available, there is no need for direct communication (MODBUS) between units outside of perhaps between the stacked grid-forming inverters at the core. Assuming there was more than one of course.

Other Deye inverters could be added anywhere along the network (super for boosting the voltage throughout the network, helping to prevent voltage drop on the last mile) and the frequency shift communication would be more than enough. The AC-Coupled inverters would simply pump their available PV and battery capacity (as the sun fades into night) into the network as the frequency from the core grid-forming inverters permitted until their battery was drained or reached the preset cutoff. The AC-Coupled hybrids would then just reboot in the morning as the sun rose, reconnecting to the network and once again helping to power the loads.

If there were loads connected to the AC-Coupled hybrids, it would be wise to program them to simply disable grid charge. This would allow the loads on the load side to continue to be powered from the core inverters (uninterrupted) once the maximum discharge was reached on the local inverter.

I know that was quite a ways off-topic but perhaps it will help someone along the way.

This may sound biased (and this is a general statement, not directed at @Sanwizard whatsoever) but I don't really feel it's possible to compare the Voltronic or even Growatt units to Deye inverters. Deye inverters IMHO are significantly superior in both hardware and software. They are one of very, very few low-voltage battery inverters on the market that are truly IP65. IP55 at least depending on how you install it. This means your internals will last significantly longer (assuming properly cooled) than standard inverters where the components are available to the elements. This includes Victron inverters which are sadly not even close to IP55.

There is a very, very good reason SMA inverters are known as one of the toughest/most reliable inverters on the market. They simply do not fail unless installed improperly or a disaster happens. IMHO one of the major contributing factors to this is the IP55/65 design/rating (depending on the model). If it's installed correctly, you can open one up 10 years after it's been installed and the internals will look as clean and pristine as the day it was new.

Deye is no different. Make sure you install them right (physically and electrically, keep that IP65/55 seal on the cables entries) and they will last.

Last edited:
You bring up some great points here. It's very possible some people won't be willing to go through the hassle because the ordering process from China really can be a hassle at times. That said, I really feel you need to make sure you are careful who you buy from. IMHO Deye is not the type of company that will ship you a DOA inverter. They are far too large with good QC. They would lose their clientele fast if they did that and we drop-ship inverters directly off of Deye's production line. The ones I don't install personally I mean. No failures yet.

If the packaging is damaged on arrival however I would claim it with the shipping company immediately. Don't accept it.

More to your point about parts though, I currently feel these inverters are built to a standard that they will last 5 years and beyond assuming they were truly installed properly. My position on this may change as time moves forward and we gain more experience with these inverters but in general, more often than not when I see failures; all signs typically point to a faulty installation. Not always, but many times.

If there is a failure and you cannot reach the dealer, I really don't think you will have an issue working with Deye directly. It will be a hassle in sense of emailing back and forth etc but I don't think they will have issues sending you a component quickly via air. I could be wrong but that's my opinion. If you installed it yourself, you will however need to be comfortable troubleshooting and tearing down/replacing components etc like was mentioned previously but I suppose for those of us talking here at least, that's why this is called a DIY forum. ;)

Parts shipped from China! That currently takes several weeks unless they plan on sending it by Fedex or DHL Air for big $$. Anyway most people are not going to have the ability to strip down an Inverter and Identify what parts are needed. Also from your posts I think you are not inside the USA, so do you have any experience with someone in the USA actually getting parts? If so who does the repairs?

Warranty was one of my questions to Sol-Ark and their reply was that they will ship out a replacement unit if mine is not working. I could fix my own inverter on a component level but as I said this is not a Hobby for me and I don't plan on putting a 74lb inverter on my bench and spending a day working on it and a week waiting on parts from Digikey or Mouser.
I am paying for that Warranty and I choose a company that has a very good track record of delivering on their warranty promises.
His parts were sent via fedex so that alone says something also they didnt send one board(makes me think they couldn't figure what the issue was) this is better than no support at all imho considering what people here think of Chinese companies and their support.

At this point, if I have a failure of my SMA system, what I can do (besides flip the bypass switch, or decommission one and run with the remaining inverters), is pull a box off the shelf and hang a replacement.
Then address repair of the unit I took offline, whether warranty or DIY.

When you buy a Deye instead of a Sol-Ark, how many can you buy for the same cash?
You could have the spare hanging already with a bag over it to keep dust off. Just move over some flexible conduit. Or throw a transfer switch and swap some MC and Anderson connectors.
Thats my view also. If you are totally off grid it would be a good idea to have a spare inverter for emergency use. That is one reason I chose not to get the LV6548 s . I would need 2 for 240 split and felt like I needed 2 spares in the case of both originals going out at same time.

Agreed. I am not saying to buy a Deye, or not buy a Sol-Ark. They are great inverters. I just wish that Sol-Ark would just be more reasonable from a price perspective so you dont need to mortgage your house to buy one.
One thing Solark is probably counting on right now is the Tax credit to make them look more comparable . The fact that not many installers will use the chines inverters also helps them. The added features and long warranty of the solar 12 (about same price as the 8) is one more reason BUT that reason has recently vanished with LV6548 s and the soon coming LVX6048 etc as well as the solar clones. The sellback and grid inject and higher pv voltage input advantages are disappearing. Soon even the DEYE s and similar inverters may be forced to lower their price some.

Thats my view also. If you are totally off grid it would be a good idea to have a spare inverter for emergency use. That is one reason I chose not to get the LV6548 s . I would need 2 for 240 split and felt like I needed 2 spares in the case of both originals going out at same time.
You can always just reset the surviving inverter to single mode and be able to use your 120V loads. Only the 240V loads will not be available until the unit is repaired. Maybe that's why DMI inc went with 4 of them, for redundancy and power. I think 4 LV6548's are still less expensive than one Sol-Ark. In fact, you could buy 5 of them and have one as a local spare.

You can always just reset the surviving inverter to single mode and be able to use your 120V loads. Only the 240V loads will not be available until the unit is repaired. Maybe that's why DMI inc went with 4 of them, for redundancy and power. I think 4 LV6548's are still less expensive than one Sol-Ark. In fact, you could buy 5 of them and have one as a local spare.
Its going to get interesting with the new waterproof and UL listed MPP inverters coming out, as well as Deye branded US versions. Thats going to put a lot of pressure on the major vendors to check their pricing with the market.
That being said, I would LOVE to see US made Lifepo4 cells, and US made inverters hitting the market. I would pay more for higher quality US parts, instead of a US company just rebranding Chinese made stuff.

True but HVAC is my main need the other 120 loads I could run with my Honda 2000 easily and fairly economically compared with large generators (especially using LP or Natural gas.
Yes Solark is equal to about 5 LV6548x but with 4 you get into a lot of mounting room and lots wiring connections etc . I have ruled out Solark anyway now I am comparing more to Deye or the LVX6048 MPP s . So 3 Deyes or LvX6548s etc more than 4 LV6548 s but also Easier and less expensive and complicated for install etc though same as 2 LV6548 s. A lot at that point would be determined by price and warranty service etc. I have been using MPP products for over 2 years now with absolutely no problems as well as good tech support from Ian at 24/7

Its going to get interesting with the new waterproof and UL listed MPP inverters coming out, as well as Deye branded US versions. Thats going to put a lot of pressure on the major vendors to check their pricing with the market.
That being said, I would LOVE to see US made Lifepo4 cells, and US made inverters hitting the market. I would pay more for higher quality US parts, instead of a US company just rebranding Chinese made stuff.
Yeah , I dont see why there aren't LiFe Po4 cells made here . It seems as though with advance of solar etc and this being a vital supply for that including maybe military use that there would have to be US providers for Military contracts etc. I can see at least a few whole Military Bases being off grid renewable only powered (though they would likely have Petrol bases backup)/

One spare would not satisfy me since many failures could affect both of 2 units.

Yeah , I dont see why there aren't LiFe Po4 cells made here . It seems as though with advance of solar etc and this being a vital supply for that including maybe military use that there would have to be US providers for Military contracts etc. I can see at least a few whole Military Bases being off grid renewable only powered (though they would likely have Petrol bases backup)/
ip licensing, just like the us does to the rest of the world

True but HVAC is my main need the other 120 loads I could run with my Honda 2000 easily and fairly economically compared with large generators (especially using LP or Natural gas.
Yes Solark is equal to about 5 LV6548x but with 4 you get into a lot of mounting room and lots wiring connections etc . I have ruled out Solark anyway now I am comparing more to Deye or the LVX6048 MPP s . So 3 Deyes or LvX6548s etc more than 4 LV6548 s but also Easier and less expensive and complicated for install etc though same as 2 LV6548 s. A lot at that point would be determined by price and warranty service etc. I have been using MPP products for over 2 years now with absolutely no problems as well as good tech support from Ian at 24/7
Yup. Ian is awesome, and can ship parts if needed.

I know I said this above but for the sake of others coming along who may read this, from an installer's point of view, it may not be prudent to directly compare any of the current MPP/Voltronic lineup (LVX6048/LV6548) to a Deye hybrid inverter. Particularly on price as they are built to different standards. I'm not saying anyone is or running down the MPP/Voltronic inverters whatsoever, I'm just saying a Deye inverter is much more akin to a good European inverter (SMA/Victron etc) than any of your average Chinese inverters in spite of the fact they are made in China. The internal architecture is significantly different (I covered this at length in a previous post) than your average Chinese design, making them superior and more efficient in a number of ways. Besides that, they are built on high-end Panasonic parts etc which drive up the cost of manufacturing significantly.

The THD on a Deye is rated at less than 3%. For a lot of the Chinese inverters, IMHO, they don't build a large inverter and derate it like Deye does. They build a 6KW for example and sell it as a 6KW. This means the THD is going to get bad fast as you load it. With an oversized inverter, the THD will not fall off nearly as quickly as you reach the rated operational maximum. I'm not saying MPP does this but the MPP inverters don't even have a THD rating making them questionable to me for several uses IMHO. I see off-grid users who didn't pay much for their inverter but see their appliances fail sooner than they should or at least need to be repaired more often... Makes a person wonder.

The eff of the LVX6048/LV6548 is rated at between 91% and 93%. That's worse than your average high-end LF inverter.

Again, I'm NOT bashing on MPP inverters. I just wanted to make clear there is more than just a price difference between them and Deye.

Attached is the latest Deye manual.

Attachments

• 502012022【b】sun-5-8k-sg01lp1-useu-ver2.1-deye.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 29
Back