diy solar

diy solar

Deye: Use Battery when not enough Solar

burgerking

So I finally finished my DIY Battery pack with JK BMS (no communication) to my 5KW Deye.

Battery Settings
IMG20220630180506.jpgIMG20220630180511.jpgIMG20220630180516.jpg

Assume late afternoon and Solar is producing only 500W of power, while Load is consuming 1000W of power.

Here are my questions:
IMG20220630180524.jpg
How to I set Grid Peak Shaving below 1KW?

IMG20220630180529.jpgIMG20220630180534.jpg

Why is it that if I uncheck Time Of Use, my Deye will not use Battery to supply power to Load?
I thought that if I disable Time of Use, Deye will assume it will draw power from battery as needed and at full power.

Power refers to Max. discharge power of battery allowed; and once Battery Voltage <51.5V, it will no longer draw power from Battery during the specified timeframe. Is it because I disabled Time Of Use that Deye is not drawing power out of the battery?

Please check if I have issue with Firmware:
IMG20220630180600.jpg

Thanks.
Dan

Last edited:
Grid peak shaving minimum is 1000w. You can't set a lower value than that.

Time of use :
You have set low batt in battery settings @ 51.5v and the same value in time of use. You need to set a higher value in time of use (equivalent of 100% SOC at sun peak hours for example), otherwise the inverter will never charge them but just bip as low batt value is reached.

See instructions attached.

PS : easier to start by using bat % rather than voltage for the initial setup to avoid mistakes. You can change to voltage after double checking your settings & the inverter behaviour ...

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_204014.jpg
    IMG_20220630_204014.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
PS : easier to start by using bat % rather than voltage for the initial setup to avoid mistakes. You can change to voltage after double checking your settings & the inverter behaviour ...
Is Bat % accurate if using LifePo4 cells?
Note: JK BMS does not communicate with Deye.

As accurate as voltage, inverter just doing the conversion. It's not better, it's just easier for the setup ...

You could use Solar Assistant to get proper communication between the BMS & inverter :

I found this Video on Time of Day use:

Batt is not listed 100%. It appears to have dual meaning.

1656627377560.png
If Grid/Gen Charging is enabled (01:00-05:00), Batt (% or V) refers to charging Batteries from Grid/Gen upto said value. In the above, it will stop Grid Charging when Batt reaches 80% SOC.

1656627514222.pngIf Grid/Gen Charging is not enabled, it refers to how deep the DOD will go before not consuming battery. If sufficient solar is available, Batteries will be charged to 100% SOC regardless of these values.

I hate that JK stopped developing the communication with inverters and left it to the community for hacks to bridge the gap.
Maybe I should have bought Seplos.

Last edited:
I took your advice, switched from Battery Voltage to Battery %.
True: using % is a lot easier. But how does Deye figure out %?

After the switchover, only Absorption, Equalization, Float voltage remained as Voltages.
Is the % based on these values?

So far 52.6v equates to 20%.
Will see how it goes further once sun goes up

Just means either you charge the batteries from the grid / gen or solar ...

Typically you need to set 100% SOC in time of use during peak sun hours at least 1 time to be sure your batteries get fully charged unless your solar production is always > load. Then it will depend how much surplus you produce to be able to fully charge the batteries.

Time of use settings depend of production / load / batteries capacity vs load. Each case will be different. But any way, low batt value should be much lower than values in time of use ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-01-08-01-08-977_com.opera.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-01-08-01-08-977_com.opera.browser.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
But how does Deye figure out %?

So I observed and take notes:
Early morning, Deye was charging the batteries; it climbed to 52.6v, 20%.
Cloudy skies covered the panels; battery Voltage dropped but battery remained at 20%.
Several hours later, charging resumed and battery is now 22% but voltage was 52.48v.
JK BMS app was showing almost same % as well.
Maybe Deye was keeping track of AH and compute percentage relative to Battery Capacity.

Typically you need to set 100% SOC in time of use during peak sun hours at least 1 time to be sure your batteries get fully charged unless your solar production is always > load. Then it will depend how much surplus you produce to be able to fully charge the batteries.
This is true. Setting to 100% will force Deye to not discharge Battery and only charge it.

Honestly I do not have enough panels. My panels came with a previous "Solar powered Air Con" and I slowly add Grid Tie (Growatt), then Hybrid (Deye) inverters around it. Now that Battery Storage is added, it is high time to add more panels.

my inverter indicate 1v less voltage then my DIY assembled battery pack. is that normal? bms is jk

JK doesn't communicate with Deye

I hate that JK stopped developing the communication with inverters and left it to the community for hacks to bridge the gap.

I have a Hardware interface kit that allow the JK-BMS to communicate with the Deye inverter.

Back