diy solar

diy solar

Did I Backfeed 12v to my MPP LV2424 24v inverter?

TJ King

I have a new LV2424-MSD 24v all-in-one inverter charge controller and after watching one of Will's videos about using a 24-12v step down for my 12v accessories, I decided to buy one. In addition to that, I wanted to use the step down to float charge the 12v lead acid starter battery for my generator, so I was advised to get a 24v-13.8v stepdown, so rather than a 24v-12v, I bought a 24v-13.8v. I hooked it up to my system and using the volt meter saw that my DC 12v fusebox and battery were getting 13.8v. At some point while changing wires, I had my 24v battery bank (2 12v Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries) unhooked, but when I attached a wire on my fuse box my 12v lead acid starter battery caused my 24v inverter to start to boot up, I quickly disconnected everything not knowing if I was causing damage. I guess I wrongly assumed the 24v-13.8v step down device was one way. It appears as though the 12v was going back through the buck charger and maybe producing 24v (or 12v?) back to the MPP 2424LV?

Questions: If this happens again in the future, will this cause damage? Do I need a diode or something to stop the charge from going back to the 2424LV? Was this a bad idea to begin with?

I previously saw my BMS do a low voltage cuttoff on one of the two batteries in my 2 battery bank and the voltage on my battery monitor was reading between 9-13v after that, the LV2424 turned off its inverter but appeared to be in charge mode, and the buttons were unresponsive, so I disconnected everything to address the battery issue, but my point is, does low voltage, like the 13.8v from the above issue, or if one of two batteries in a 2 battery bank shuts down resulting in ~12v, is this damaging to the LV2424? Is there some other reason why this setup is problematic?

I have a new LV2424-MSD 24v all-in-one inverter charge controller and after watching one of Will's videos about using a 24-12v step down for my 12v accessories, I decided to buy one. In addition to that, I wanted to use the step down to float charge the 12v lead acid starter battery for my generator, so I was advised to get a 24v-13.8v stepdown, so rather than a 24v-12v, I bought a 24v-13.8v. I hooked it up to my system and using the volt meter saw that my DC 12v fusebox and battery were getting 13.8v. At some point while changing wires, I had my 24v battery bank (2 12v Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries) unhooked, but when I attached a wire on my fuse box my 12v lead acid starter battery caused my 24v inverter to start to boot up, I quickly disconnected everything not knowing if I was causing damage. I guess I wrongly assumed the 24v-13.8v step down device was one way. It appears as though the 12v was going back through the buck charger and maybe producing 24v (or 12v?) back to the MPP 2424LV?

Questions: If this happens again in the future, will this cause damage? Do I need a diode or something to stop the charge from going back to the 2424LV? Was this a bad idea to begin with?

I previously saw my BMS do a low voltage cuttoff on one of the two batteries in my 2 battery bank and the voltage on my battery monitor was reading between 9-13v after that, the LV2424 turned off its inverter but appeared to be in charge mode, and the buttons were unresponsive, so I disconnected everything to address the battery issue, but my point is, does low voltage, like the 13.8v from the above issue, or if one of two batteries in a 2 battery bank shuts down resulting in ~12v, is this damaging to the LV2424? Is there some other reason why this setup is problematic?
Here is the thread from when I was formulating this setup.... https://diysolarforum.com/threads/n...in-separate-12v-genset-starter-battery.24894/

If they use the typical buck converter circuit based on Application note schematic, the Voltage from the battery connected to the output of the buck converter will be present at the input of the buck converter due to Body Diode of the Switched MOSFET when the input is not connected to the power source which has higher Voltage.
You can use Diode mode of the DMM to test between the input hot wire and output hot wire in both directions to see what is shown on the meter. One way to solve the back feed from battery is to use Schottky Diode that can handle the breakdown Voltage and the current handling capability.
Buck converter topology:

Back