diy solar

diy solar

did i fry my solar panel while testing it?

hickman

hi all, i just bought a new rena solar 250 watt pannel installed it on my van and thought i would test the voltage and apms with my multi meter it i got a reading of 32.8 volts and when i went to test the amp i got a reading for a split second and then nothing. im hoping i didnt have my multimeter set wrong and fry my panel. i connected it to my mppt charge controller and it says its charging the batteries. did i fry my panel?

What is the panels short circuit amps?
You probably fried your multimeter amps reading. I think only good for 10A?

thanks for your reply . im not very good at electrical stuff. it says the the short cirut amps are 8.83A im hoping i didnt fry a new panel, the wife will kill me.

not sure what the multi meter is good to, im not even sure i had it set right , i was going off of some youtube vids on checking a panel

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing. I knew my string of panels put out 7A and my meter was good for 10A, but I forgot it had charged a large capacitor in the inverter. I measured the discharge current from a large electrolytic capacitor charged to 480V. Good thing my Fluke meter has a high quality 11A fuse.

Your meter probably had a small fuse that blew. It probably still reads volts OK. If charge controller says you're getting current the panel is working.

Your wife cares about a solar panel? Where can we find one like that? Or is it just the money? Mine has no idea how much I have spent. We generally deal in very different numbers of zeros.

You can't damage a panel by shorting the leads. There is an almost 100% chance that you just blew the fuse in the meter.
well the meter stil works it gives me a reading for my volts but noting on the amps

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing. I knew my string of panels put out 7A and my meter was good for 10A, but I forgot it had charged a large capacitor in the inverter. I measured the discharge current from a large electrolytic capacitor charged to 480V. Good thing my Fluke meter has a high quality 11A fuse.

Your meter probably had a small fuse that blew. It probably still reads volts OK. If charge controller says you're getting current the panel is working.

Your wife cares about a solar panel? Where can we find one like that? Or is it just the money? Mine has no idea how much I have spent. We generally deal in very different numbers of zeros.
the meter still works and i can read the volts but i get nothing when trying to test the amps

The volts range is not usually protected by a fuse, only the amps range. When volts is protected by a fuse it'll only blow if the over votlage protection (if the meter even has any) steps in if you connect the meter to an excessively high voltage. Excessively high is well over 1kV for the type of meter that even has protection so you certainly didn't blow this fuse (if it exists).

the meter still works and i can read the volts but i get nothing when trying to test the amps
I have blown many fuses due to using the meter probes on the milliamp sockets instead of the 10 amp sockets.

how do i know if i messed up my panel?
Your panel is fine.
Like Gnubie said You can't damage a panel by shorting the leads.
You can't damage a panel by shorting the leads.
Did you miss that?
Your panel is charging your SCC.
But you blew a fuse in your multimeter which hopefully the wife will not give ypu hell about. :)

Your panel is fine.
Like Gnubie said You can't damage a panel by shorting the leads.
You can't damage a panel by shorting the leads.
Did you miss that?
Your panel is charging your SCC.
But you blew a fuse in your multimeter which hopefully the wife will not give ypu hell about. :)
hahah she most def will, thank you much for the help.

Possible responses to the wife:
1. Nag, nag, nag.
2. You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.
3. Genius doesn't always follow a straight line.
hahahah, well the nag nag nag is outta the question as she carries a smith&wesson but i will most def take the other 2 into consideration.

Does your charge controller feature amps and volts? Or just charging\not charging? It should tell you all you need to know.

Back