diy solar

diy solar

Did LiFePO4 cells get this cheap?

He posted freight prices in his thread. $4.00 per Kg. If over 100Kg, $3.00 per Kg.

He posted freight prices in his thread. $4.00 per Kg. If over 100Kg, $3.00 per Kg.
If this is to believed, each 3.2v 120ah cell is 3kg, so shipping is $12 each. 4 cells would be ($33 + $12) * 4 = $180 ?

If it’s truly $180 for 12v 120ah matched grade A cells, landed at my doorstep, I’ll place an order tomorrow.

If this is to believed, each 3.2v 120ah cell is 3kg, so shipping is $12 each. 4 cells would be ($33 + $12) * 4 = $180 ?

If it’s truly $180 for 12v 120ah matched grade A cells, landed at my doorstep, I’ll place an order tomorrow.

Just relaying what he posted. If you are interested, I would suggest reaching out to him in his thread. All the information is there.

So what are everyone's thoughts on using 24V in an RV in lieu of 12V?

I'm assembling this first pack for 12V 90Ah. Simplicity would tell me to put a second set in to double my capacity to 180Ah and keep the wiring "simple" but physically larger. Moving the leisure batteries to 24V would make some things more difficult (getting off the shelf components, figuring out charging from the alternator or genset) but would make the wiring around the batteries easier...

Also looking for a plug-in wall charger that I can use while on shore/genset power. I don't trust the built-in 3A charger to play nicely.
I think the real advatage is when you get into a large solar setup, a wire can only carry so much current if you increase the voltage usually you reduce the amps for the same power level.

I think the real advatage is when you get into a large solar setup, a wire can only carry so much current if you increase the voltage usually you reduce the amps for the same power level.
I get that - which is why I asked. For RV use, would having a 24V setup be a benefit (smaller wiring) or a problem (more difficult to get 24v stuff rather than 12v, DC-DC converter inefficiency)?

At this point I'm still talking fairly small storage batteries so my feeling is that sticking with 12V is fine until I get up in the 300+ Ah range. As it stands I'm not attempting to run an AC unit off an inverter (yet ;)) so maintaining the 12V system is probably the easiest thing to do.

Guys, when you post a price on Alibaba, can you include the SHIPPING too. It is very misleading to find a cell for x only to find that when adding shipping it ends up costing 3x.

Guys, when you post a price on Alibaba, can you include the SHIPPING too. It is very misleading to find a cell for x only to find that when adding shipping it ends up costing 3x.
I have never seen a shipping quote that was 3 times the product cost unless using overnight air express. I agree it is better to include freight but remember it is a spot market and quotes vary from day to day because of disruptions of C19.

In this case, I bought 4x90Ah batteries and a BMS for $227.37 shipped off AliExpress:

I am thinking of ordering the same... Have you received them or have they shipped? When you get them, please post a review :)

280 Amphours times nominal voltage equals 896 Watthours.
72.50 divided by .896 equals cost per kWh.
(72.50 ÷ .896 = 80.92 per kWh)
Is that a delivered cost?

4650 including the shipping to kentucky

For 48 cells

Last edited:
They’ve arrived!

Packaging was in great shape, sturdy cardboard and orange tape, closed cell foam around each cell. They were all within 8mV of each other according to my Fluke meter. Top balancing starts tomorrow.

Already ordered a second set from the same seller (should arrive in mid September), will use it to expand to a 12v 180Ah pack.

Did you get the cells and were they matched and how have they performed..what bms did you get..thanks
Fedex mislabled one of my boxes and it went missing, just got the replacement cells a couple weeks ago. I have not tested the second set of ten. Of the first set of 10 i ended up getting 2 cells that were lower resistance than the others. But even with that I got 89 and some change AH when I tested them. I would not order from Bongguan billion again. I recommend Xuba or Shenzhen Basen

Fedex mislabled one of my boxes and it went missing, just got the replacement cells a couple weeks ago. I have not tested the second set of ten. Of the first set of 10 i ended up getting 2 cells that were lower resistance than the others. But even with that I got 89 and some change AH when I tested them. I would not order from Bongguan billion again. I recommend Xuba or Shenzhen Basen
thank you

Back