diy solar

diy solar

Did that micro grid ever happen?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
Hey @Will Prowse , I was re-perusing through your videos the other day and was reminded about the quick number you did with he Growatt MIN 6000TL grid tie inverter. Did you ever get that micro-grid setup working or did you get sidetracked tearing apart another Chins clone?

I wonder if something like this would be fun for the off-grid camp where your system would idle on a small panel but when you got up there and turned your inverter on it would "activate" a large array?

Just curious.

I did not actually. Just didn't seem logical with my current needs. Probably should try it out for a fun video.

Should be easy enough to build.

This is exactly what I am doing now. Worked fine after tweaking some settings on Growatt MIN 6000 TL-X (was having PE abnormal and AC V outrang (6)) also took a bit to get ShineWiFi-X datalogger working on US site. Used ShineTools to direct connect wifi hotspot to datalogger and configure MIN 6000 to disable N-PE 30v check.

No problem syncing to off-grid AC signal. I am having a problem the with off-grid AGM battery system getting overcharged, I think through the off-grid inverter itself (growatt only has AC connection).

So how & what are you running?
Well I've got a RV bus with 4.5kw PV and 1300ah AGM at 24v. Bus is also running a 6kw sun gold inverter charger lfp split phase.

The inverter ac out is hooked up to my house by custom automatic transfer switch. House has 3.9kw PV into a grid tied Growatt 6000 TL-X which backfeeds main panel through 30a breaker. This panel is connected through ATS so most of the day house is running offgrid from bus with Growatt synced up to it. The ATS periodically switches back to grid if the load exceeds 6kw rating of the offgrid inverter (and ongrid inverter). ATS seems to have minimal affect on grid-tied inverter which is also transferred from grid to bus.

So far all issues have been resolved! The sun gold offgrid inverter is a cheaper unit which cannot be paralleled up, so grid-tied inverter overcomes this issue, while providing cheaper solar controller and inverter solution for house system.

So you're plugging your RV into an existing grid tie system?
Well, sortof the other way around. I had RV and ATS for powering house, and built a grid tie system around it. In essence creating a microgrid around my house. Was the cheapest way for me to go. No batteries for house, and I already had ten 390w panels.

Basically what I saw @Will Prowse explain in his video. Thought it was a great idea. I already have a LFP inverter for hard starts/inrush, and now during sunny days have almost double the capacity. My wife can run electric range and clothes dryer and hot water on these days :). Will design a system for load shedding the hot water and only running on timer (during the day).

Back