diy solar

diy solar

dies for 8 awg wire?

zack6736

I will be installing my solar array 150' from the inverter and decided to go with 8awg wire, when looking for connectors to fit, it has turned out to be challenging. I purchased this crimper with dies for regular 10 and 12 awg connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046QXRYA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Here are the connectors I found to fit 8 awg wire.
I have not ordered the connectors as of yet as I am having difficulty finding the correct die set for the Pro'skit crimper. Can someone point me in the right direction for dies, or even connectors that will fit the 8 awg wire that will require a more common die.
Thank you,
zack

You're finding out why most people stick with 10 gauge PV wire. There just isn't much support for 8 gauge PV wire.

I bought my MC4 die from the company in the link below. You could contact them and ask about one for 8 gauge. I can't find one on their site but maybe they can direct you to another source.

It's been suggested to put the 8 gauge in the same MC4 connector that is rated for 10 gauge. Just keep in mind that almost every MC4 connector out there is rated for 30 amps.

Being 150' distance from array to inverter, pulling the PV wire bundle (two runs, so 4 wires) will be difficult enough without the ends on and I would think impossible with ends. Direct burial would save money as PVC conduit has become unreal as all PVC products have, but hesitant to go that route. I did find a set of dies for MC3 connectors which looks like it would make the crimp shape for the connectors I found, but it doesn't go up to size 8, again, only 10.
https://eclipsetools.com/default/cp-5s1d.html
Thank you.

You could buy short 8 AWG jumpers, cut them in half and make your connections in a junction box.

These are the least expensive crimpers I have seen so far: https://a.co/d/akpBZoj

Thank you. Seems 10 AWG is going to be the size I use, 8 is just turning out to be too much trouble and I've already bought a good set of crimpers that I can change dies, just can't seem to locate the size 8 for it.

My arrays are 35 ft from my 12v power center, and I ran AWG 6 wire.
Seemed to me a better choice than AWG 10 or 8 so as to minimize line losses.
Your posts don't state what voltage you are running, but for me, AWG 10 or 8 seem too skinny for a 150ft run.

Yeah 8 is a lot of work compared to 10awg. And 99% of the time absolutely not needed.

With that being said, I used 8AWG wire with 8AWG MC4 connectors with proper 8AWG MC4 crimpers. Solely because I wanted to, it’s way more than my relatively small RV system needs and 10awg would’ve been 100% sufficient.

MC4’s were from Staubli and crimping tools and dies were from Rennsteig (German = $$$).
If you want to do it the correct way for 8AWG you’ll pay :)

But I sure do have a unique setup haha

DM me if interested in 8AWG tinned copper PV wire too ;)

Ive had good luck finding cheap PVC conduit, 6awg and 8awg THWN and NM on facebook marketplace and craigslist. Might be worth a look and if you can get it really cheap, oversizing your 150' run might be considered a good copper investment in itself.

My arrays are 35 ft from my 12v power center, and I ran AWG 6 wire.
Seemed to me a better choice than AWG 10 or 8 so as to minimize line losses.
Your posts don't state what voltage you are running, but for me, AWG 10 or 8 seem too skinny for a 150ft run.
Around 240 volts I'm figuring. It all depends on what panels I can buy come Monday. Going down to OK City to purchase and bring back. Had figured on the Silfab 380, but later when I called to see what other items they carried, they'd run out of the S 380s so figured I'd wait till closer to pick up to see what they had on hand then crunch the numbers to make sure I wouldn't exceed the VOC in the winter on my LV6548s. Am figuring on placing 20 panels, 2 strings of 5 in parallel for each inverter.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my voltage question....
I meant, at what voltage will your battery pack and inverter run? 12v? 24v? 48v?

An Amphenol H4 connector is available down to 8 AWG. These will connect to an MC4 connector seemingly flawlessly. They are UL rated just like a MC4 connector, except when you mate an MC4 to an H4. The MC4s are rated to 30 amps and the H4s are rated up to 45 amps. The 8 AWG H4s are a bit hard to find, although they are easier in 10 AWG or less.

H4s have there own crimping tool, which can be be pricey. This one crimps down to 8 AWG, but you have to call for pricing, just like you are buying a luxury item:

I have not found a proper die to just snap in my crimped, but a round die would form one that would snap in.

For my RV roof PV panelbuild, I stuck with the MC4s and used a combiner box to get to 6 AWG. For my portable panels which were a long run with higher amperage for solar panels, I used 10 AWG folded over into a 6 AWG cable and connected with a butt splice. I have no idea how much if any loss happens at the crimp, but when you run 6 AWG through a voltage loss calculator the loss was significantly less Than a same length of 10 AWG.

Last edited:
Ive had good luck finding cheap PVC conduit, 6awg and 8awg THWN and NM on facebook marketplace and craigslist. Might be worth a look and if you can get it really cheap, oversizing your 150' run might be considered a good copper investment in itself.
Hadn't thought of looking there. I don't have Facebook but my wife does. I went and checked it out briefly and it's definitely worth looking through.

Check WindyNation, it's possible they may have a crimper for 8 gauge PV wire since they do sell the wire
Actually on Amazon there's a listing for WindyNation 8 gauge wire with the MC4 connections already attached.
https://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-Extension-Connector-Variety-Available/dp/B01L6OU6Z2?th=1
Those Windy Nation 8AWG extension cables are rated for 50A up to 90C but with a star (‘*’) for which I can find no explanation.

But purchasing 8AWG MC4 cables will the connectors preassembled may make the most sense if the crimping tools for 8AWG Staubli connectors are as pricey as everyone is suggesting…

The star ( * ) is from the connector. They're saying the wiring can handle it, but the connectors they use are only rated for 30A. They aren't using true MC4 connectors, meaning not from Staubli. Real 8awg MC4 are rated for 70A.

If you want a less expensive common ground, at least buy the proper connectors. If you don't want to shell out the big $$$ for the real crimping tools you can still get an excellent crimp with other means (of course, still ensuring a proper crimp)

1671590570324.png

The star ( * ) is from the connector. They're saying the wiring can handle it, but the connectors they use are only rated for 30A. They aren't using true MC4 connectors, meaning not from Staubli. Real 8awg MC4 are rated for 70A.

If you want a less expensive common ground, at least buy the proper connectors. If you don't want to shell out the big $$$ for the real crimping tools you can still get an excellent crimp with other means (of course, still ensuring a proper crimp)

View attachment 125602
Greatly appreciate this heads-up. So these WindyNation 8AWG cables rated for 55A can really only carry 30A? Bummer.

I only need a single extension cable, so buying a new expensive crimping tool is a no-go.

I’m interested in ways to successfully crimp Staubli 8AWG MC4 connectors using crimping tools designed for 10AWG max or other DIY means - is there a thread on that anywhere?

My fallback will be to spend the money on 2 10AWG MC4 extensions rather than a single 8AWG extension…

Greatly appreciate this heads-up. So these WindyNation 8AWG cables rated for 55A can really only carry 30A? Bummer.

I only need a single extension cable, so buying a new expensive crimping tool is a no-go.

I’m interested in ways to successfully crimp Staubli 8AWG MC4 connectors using crimping tools designed for 10AWG max or other DIY means - is there a thread on that anywhere?

My fallback will be to spend the money on 2 10AWG MC4 extensions rather than a single 8AWG extension…
If you only need one extension cable I can help make you one. I have some extra 8awg PV wire (the good stuff, fully tinned!), real Staubli connectors, all the right tools etc etc. PM me if interested and we can work out a fair price. I've got a lot of the wire so whether you need 1' or 100' I got it ;)

An important thing to note is that many 10awg connectors use open style male/female pins where 8awg use fully enclosed barrel style. so it's usually an entirely different crimp type, not just a 'larger' crimp die needed.

Rhombic (Hexagonal) crimper: you can get the proper crimper for about $25.00 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Back