diy solar

diy solar

Difference between Hybrid and off Grid system ?

clax xiarino

I have a confusion while differentiating between hybrid and off- grid. is there anyone who could clear this.

1- if a system lets say has no gird supply and we have to install PV modules, Inverter and battery for backup. will it be called hybrid or off grid system ?

2- if a system lets say has no gird supply and we have to install PV modules, Inverter and battery for backup but this time synchronizing it with wind turbine . will it be called hybrid or off grid system ?

There is some disagreement in the term "Hybrid"

The definition of the word hybrid involves a combination of two things. This fits with the alternative definition (alternate to what is mentioned above)

Hybrid is an inverter and charge controller in one unit. Grid involvement doesn't play a role in it being named a hybrid.

If you connect solar, batter, and get AC voltage out, that's a hybrid inverter.

There is some disagreement in the term "Hybrid"

The definition of the word hybrid involves a combination of two things. This fits with the alternative definition (alternate to what is mentioned above)

Hybrid is an inverter and charge controller in one unit. Grid involvement doesn't play a role in it being named a hybrid.

If you connect solar, batter, and get AC voltage out, that's a hybrid inverter.
Definitely different meanings depending on who you ask. MPP Solar LV2424 for instance. There is a hybrid version that will actually back feed the grid, and there is a non back feed version. Both fit your definition of "Hybrid"

Definitely different meanings depending on who you ask. MPP Solar LV2424 for instance. There is a hybrid version that will actually back feed the grid, and there is a non back feed version. Both fit your definition of "Hybrid"

Correct observation because this definition doesn't involve back feeding the grid. Or even anything to do with the grid at all.

Just the combination of two components: charge controller and inverter into one unit.

All I'm saying is that the definition isn't set. And one low end manufacturer doesn't get to create a definition for the industry. Anyone shopping needs to check the specs before trusting one definition.

I haven't searched, but I'd love to see a battery only or PV only inverter labeled hybrid.

Also, back feed vs non back feed doesn't fit with the dictionary definition of hybrid.

Screenshot_20210917-085825.png

Screenshot_20210917-084753.png

I think Outback is aware of the ambiguity of "hybrid" and just threw the book at it.

With MPP solar's definition there would be no need to add grid in front of hybrid.

Screenshot_20210917-085349.png

Long story short ... MPP Solar makes Off-grid and Hybrid inverters for a decade (with Voltronic).
And then came some competitors and started this off-grid is a hybrid marketing bs.. (they have only off-grid)
Because if you say something is hybrid it sounds cool. Also it is a deception.
So nowadays MPP has to adapt to this marketing ... and sometimes calls the off-grid inverters: off-grid hybrid inverter.

Voltronic calls the off-grid simple off-grid. And the real hybrids: on-grid with battery. So does not use the hybrid anywhere.

Back