diy solar

diy solar

Differences between these two Daly BMSs

CyrusL

I put together a LiFePo4 battery bank for my RV last year and got a Daly BMS. Unfortunately, the BMS I got doesn't have a UART or Bluetooth so I don't get any insight into the real health of the battery bank. I'd like to replace the BMS with one that has Bluetooth. I'm looking at these and there are two different 250a models there. One looks like an older style but is thinner. The other looks like a newer style, is thicker and has options to go to much higher amp ratings. Anyhow, 250a is enough for me. I would prefer the thinner model because of where it will be located. Do y'all know if there is any other difference between the two models? I'll attach screen shots of the two so that you know which I'm talking about.

Thanks
Cyrus

Attachments

• bms2.png
    bms2.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 17
  • bms1.png
    bms1.png
    335.7 KB · Views: 18
Personally I would not change a winning team.
BT information is easy obtained by BT active balancer.
About $60 for 0.6A (last time I looked)

The app works great.
If you are going to change, please don't use Mosfet based above 100A.

Chargery does provide all what you need.

While Mosfet /solid-state relay is low energy consumption on its own, it does give significant voltage drop.
With higher amperages, that's easy 70 watts of heat.

Contactors do have a higher standby power consumption, but it stays the same, no matter if you use 50 or 250A.
Solid state relais... Quite different.

My dumb 250A Daly lasted little under 3 months.
The 150 smart never worked well.
It seems to get in a startup loop.
Even pre-charge the inverter doesn't fix it.
Sometimes it does go, usually it doesn't.

I didn't even start the fight for warranty.
Chinese don't do well with sometimes work.

Getting warranty for the 250A Daly already took weeks.

The 400A model has the fan's.
Or user to have.
Can be they have updated their model again.
My smart was the first version, there have been 4 major hardware changes since then.
Perhaps it's now functional.

My 250A usually handled 75-150A loads, and died with a roughly 50A load....
Highest peak ever was 200A

I would suspect that the control logic (brain) of the units is the same in all of them, the number and type of mosfets changes based on power.

sadly I did buy several "dumb" daly BMS units, never again, always get the smart ones so you have some idea what is going on hehe
You do have two paths as fhorst mentioned.
You can upgrade to a smart daly, the balance cable may plug right in!!...(not that it balances that well)
or you could get a smart active balancer that gives you insight into the battery pack AND will really balance the pack which the daly, smart or not, will not do a good job at.

I put together a LiFePo4 battery bank for my RV last year and got a Daly BMS. Unfortunately, the BMS I got doesn't have a UART or Bluetooth so I don't get any insight into the real health of the battery bank. I'd like to replace the BMS with one that has Bluetooth. I'm looking at these and there are two different 250a models there. One looks like an older style but is thinner. The other looks like a newer style, is thicker and has options to go to much higher amp ratings. Anyhow, 250a is enough for me. I would prefer the thinner model because of where it will be located. Do y'all know if there is any other difference between the two models? I'll attach screen shots of the two so that you know which I'm talking about.

Thanks
Cyrus
The only difference I can see (since I only have the model without the fan) is the fan. Near as I can tell, they bolted a plastic shell with a fan on the model without a fan.

Back